Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Referee's Lounge

Referee's Lounge Discussion of how to (and not to) Referee Traveller and Cepheus Engine games. No edition warring allowed.

Old September 18th, 2017, 02:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen
Default World Generation

When making worlds for your subsector, which book rules from which edition(s) do you make use of when generating your systems? Right now I am mixing Mongoose and T5 together when making just the main world for each system. I haven't done the minor worlds yet.
Old September 18th, 2017, 05:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

egor045 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
When making worlds for your subsector, which book rules from which edition(s) do you make use of when generating your systems? Right now I am mixing Mongoose and T5 together when making just the main world for each system. I haven't done the minor worlds yet.
I use Cepheus as the base ruleset, tweaked T5 for world-building. T5 gives me a better feel for what the world might be like, but I ignore nobility as it's not relevant in my TU.

Tweaks I use:

- revised atmosphere roll for small worlds (makes them less likely to have standard or dense atmosphere)
- cap population at A
- cap TL at empire-building value
- scrutinize travel zone and base assignment to ensure they fit the "geography" of the region

I also have a set of DMs to starport and population rolls for designated backwater and frontier regions. They keep tech levels relatively low and make class A starports very unlikely in frontier space.
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 172
The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to The Pakkrat
Small Starburst T5 and a Pair of Dice

As I was regenerating world for Knoellighz Sector, I began with Mongoose 1E rules. Later, I learned that the TravellerMap was aiming for Traveller5 Second Survey criteria, I changed to that generation and used dice, real, in your hands dice to regenerate the duplicate worlds. It's been quite a ride trying to proofread each subsector for compliance to the Trade Classifications.

From the Cartography Department high above Roethoeegaeaegz, this is the Pakkrat.
The Pakkrat 0608 X58738-8 S va++ so+ zh+ vi+ da+ 534
On assignment: Roethoeegaeaegz (Knoellighz 1726)
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Keklas Rekobah Citizen

CT-based generation system, with a tweak to keep the POP score down for human worlds that deviate from SAH = 867 ... "Billions of Inhabitants" on a small, vacuum world with no water seems counter-intuitive to me.
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Ishmael Citizen

My system is house-ruled beyond recognition, so its a home-brew system mostly.
The parts of it that I've put on-line are here;
https://sites.google.com/site/moukot...pg/rules/uwp-1

I'm using it for a non-OTU version of the Spinward Marches ( mainly because I had a .svg map with stellar types already made up ) and converting OTU rolls to my own system, just to see how things work out.
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Small Starburst Also T5 and a pair of dice... and sometimes, paper

When I roll a subsector, I roll the subsector!

My first pass is old-school, leaving the CX and EX and non-mainworlds for later as needed. But I do like generating the primary star and mainworld orbit -- if there are natives it helps prime that toolset.

Granted I'm biased towards T5, but besides that, the data is also primed for Travellermap.
Tools Link
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Baron

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

In order to ensure everything is kosher with Traveller Map I'm sticking to T5 these days, though I still draw from MT and CT. The book I really love using at times is the World Builder's Handbook from Digest Group. I had a look for it online - does anyone know if it's available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egor045 View Post
- cap population at A
Had you thought of just adding the extra bods onto other planets or belts in the system?
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

For planet of the week adventure CT LBB:3.
I may even add more worlds to the system if needed by using LBB:3 and fudging the rolls to suit:
players decide to leave main world and travel to the next world in the system - I quickly roll it up but usually make sure the population and TL are lower than the main world (although there was one instance where the next world I generated was both high population and a higher TL than the 'mainworld' - I decided that the 'main world' is maintained for trading with folks from out-system, while the home world maintains its separation from aliens).

If I intend a system to be the focus for an extended stay then I use GURPS Space 4th edition.
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

At one point, I preferred to do it backwards:

(1) Gather all of the official(?) worlds of the OTU. Or auto-generate a bazillion of them.
(2) Sort them into buckets by Trade Code.
(3) Create a d1000 roll that would randomly select one of these based on the distribution of occurring groups of trade codes.

'Cause it turns out that there aren't oodles and oodles of unique combinations of trade codes.

Use CT and the list of unique combinations is even shorter (like maybe 50).
Tools Link
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Basically, I am generating a sector using the Classic Rules, with a few modifications. One being that I generate size, atmosphere, and hydrographics first, then add some modifiers based on those to the population roll, do a government roll and see if that feels right and fits with how I want the world to look, and then figure law level. Finally, I put in the star port based on population and world characteristics. Then comes the Tech Level, modified by the size, atmosphere and hydrographics, along with the star port. Lower populations have lower class star ports, somewhat like smaller cities having smaller airports. Then there are a few X star port worlds, possibly with natives and possibly with ruins, and possibly with a few other surprises. Beware the Krell, and watch out for Bald Space Rover survivors.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!