Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 14th, 2017, 06:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Hal Citizen+Hal Citizen+
Default Jump accuracy in Mongoose Traveller?

Hello Folks,
Page 3 of the Main rule book has this intriguing snippet...

"Referee: Anyway, you’ve just jumped to the Cogri system. You’re
about two million kilometres out –
Chris (Morn): ‘Accurate’ as usual, Kathya! Only twice as far away as we should be.
Claire (Kathya): The longer it takes us to get to the starport, the
longer it is before you get us into trouble.
Referee: Ahem. As I was saying, you’re about two million k out, and
you’re picking up a distress call."

Yet, when I look at the book for rules regarding jumping and being somewhat inaccurate, I don't find the specific rules. I must not be looking at the right place. Anyone know where the rules are regarding the plotting of a jump and the results being that the navigator was off and the distance was twice what was expected?

I have both the main rule book and the High Guard book.

The ONLY reference I can seem to find relating to the issue of accurate jumps is this on page 141:

"When the ship exits Jump space after an accurate Jump, it tends to arrive close to the target world, but outside or on the verge of the hundred-diameter limit. Inaccurate Jumps just dump the ship somewhere in the inner system, requiring a long space flight."

This seems to be strictly a judgment call on the GM as to how far off/away from target the astrogator was. I'm also guessing that inaccurate jumps occur only on a miss by 1? Because earlier on, it states that the astrogator must have a successful task roll or they must try again.

Color me confused.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Hello Folks,
Page 3 of the Main rule book has this intriguing snippet...

"Referee: Anyway, you’ve just jumped to the Cogri system. You’re
about two million kilometres out –
Chris (Morn): ‘Accurate’ as usual, Kathya! Only twice as far away as we should be.
Claire (Kathya): The longer it takes us to get to the starport, the
longer it is before you get us into trouble.
Referee: Ahem. As I was saying, you’re about two million k out, and
you’re picking up a distress call."

Yet, when I look at the book for rules regarding jumping and being somewhat inaccurate, I don't find the specific rules. I must not be looking at the right place. Anyone know where the rules are regarding the plotting of a jump and the results being that the navigator was off and the distance was twice what was expected?

I have both the main rule book and the High Guard book.

The ONLY reference I can seem to find relating to the issue of accurate jumps is this on page 141:

"When the ship exits Jump space after an accurate Jump, it tends to arrive close to the target world, but outside or on the verge of the hundred-diameter limit. Inaccurate Jumps just dump the ship somewhere in the inner system, requiring a long space flight."

This seems to be strictly a judgment call on the GM as to how far off/away from target the astrogator was. I'm also guessing that inaccurate jumps occur only on a miss by 1? Because earlier on, it states that the astrogator must have a successful task roll or they must try again.

Color me confused.
short answer, the 1st ed rules leave that to DM fiat.

2nd ed rules say, shortly after the paragraph you quoted, that this sort of minor misjump puts you 100-600 diamiters off the target world (for a earth sized planet, about 1.2-7.2 Million Km).

this is explicitly caused by a failure of the engineer (j drive) check by 2 or more (a miss by 1 gives timey-wimey effects. roll 1d6 twice, one for how many days extra the jump takes by outside reckoning, and once for how many days the players experience). a miss of 3 or more means your Going To Have A Bad Time.

bear in mind, assuming eng (j drive) 1 and +1 form Edu (or a assist of at least +1 form the nav check), the only way to fail a jump-1 check is by rolling snake eyes, and J2 is 1 harder (so, given the same +2 form skills and assist, pass on a 3, fail -1 on a 2).

for a j-6 jump, you better have a damm good engineer, as its a 2d6-2 roll before skills come into play, or a 16% chance of success.

Last edited by Xerxeskingofking; August 14th, 2017 at 06:49 PM..
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
MThompson016 Citizen

There's the Jump Prep Task chain on page 141:
Astrogation: DM of 4-J number. Must be made pass or fail to jump
Divert Power: Average EDU Engineer (J-Drive) check
Jump: 2d6+Effect of Divert Power-2 per Jump drive hit-2 for unrefined fuel, -8 if within 100d limit

If the final check is below 8, it's an inaccurate jump, dropping the ship somewhere in the targeted system.

It does look like a judgement call in this case as to how inaccurate the jump is.

Has there been any errata on the topic?

tc+ ?23 mgt+ !tm t20- !t4 !t5 !t6(LBB) tp- tg+ ?th ?to ru ge 3i c jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ kk++ hi+ as- va- dr ith+ vr ne so+ zh vi+ da sy
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
this is explicitly caused by a failure of the engineer (j drive) check by 2 or more (a miss by 1 gives timey-wimey effects.
Timey-What?!
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

If there is errata, it will hopefully sync with Traveller5's rules on jump breakout, which have what I think are reasonable guidelines.
Tools Link
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:30 PM

Hal Citizen+Hal Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
If there is errata, it will hopefully sync with Traveller5's rules on jump breakout, which have what I think are reasonable guidelines.
By chance, are we talking about the scatter rules where the ship exits at a range of 12 plus a flux roll?

If yes, then the distances for scatter include a range of .0033 AU's at Flux = -5 to a distance of 1002 AU's at flux = +5.

I hope I'm reading THOSE rules correctly, because if I am, that's one helluva scatter! Imagine having to make up 1,002 AU's distance to reach your destination!

"Captain? Um, as best as I can figure, we're about 1,000 AU's from our planet destination, and we don't have any ice asteroids showing up on our sensors out here. Should we attempt a radio distress call and hope someone comes out with extra fuel, or do you want me to plot a course for the destination and enter emergency low berths?"
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
By chance, are we talking about the scatter rules where the ship exits at a range of 12 plus a flux roll?

If yes, then the distances for scatter include a range of .0033 AU's at Flux = -5 to a distance of 1002 AU's at flux = +5.

I hope I'm reading THOSE rules correctly, because if I am, that's one helluva scatter! Imagine having to make up 1,002 AU's distance to reach your destination!

"Captain? Um, as best as I can figure, we're about 1,000 AU's from our planet destination, and we don't have any ice asteroids showing up on our sensors out here. Should we attempt a radio distress call and hope someone comes out with extra fuel, or do you want me to plot a course for the destination and enter emergency low berths?"
In Mongoose's case, there would probably not be a flux roll. It'd be represented in some other way, like just a 2D table.

But something like that, yes. The call for adventure.

...If I were the referee, I would certainly put an iceteroid close by, probably with an artifact at its core. What referee strands his players with no recourse but to die?

...ah, there's always the Out Of Gas scenario from Firefly.

...and there's the Alien Visitation scenario.

...or OMG We Stumbled Upon The Zhodani scenario.

...or Hey Who Put That Planet There scenario.

Wow, there's lots of options here.
Tools Link
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Hal Citizen+Hal Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
In Mongoose's case, there would probably not be a flux roll. It'd be represented in some other way, like just a 2D table.

But something like that, yes. The call for adventure.

...If I were the referee, I would certainly put an iceteroid close by, probably with an artifact at its core. What referee strands his players with no recourse but to die?

...ah, there's always the Out Of Gas scenario from Firefly.

...and there's the Alien Visitation scenario.

...or OMG We Stumbled Upon The Zhodani scenario.

...or Hey Who Put That Planet There scenario.

Wow, there's lots of options here.
We're at different ends of the spectrum where it comes to rules I think...

How many times does a GM have to exercise the power to save the player characters before he starts to wonder whether the rules should have had more restraint built into them? Then, how many times will the players be aware of the rules, and know that they've gotten a lucky break every single time the dice went against them?

Then there is the other aspect of rules that need to be dealt with...

The rules have implications for the rest of the game universe. Ships that can end up 1002 AU's from their target point, or are dumped out of Jump Space because there was a dead rogue world in deep space absent any stars - that means more ships lost in space, which in turn has deeper implications for trade etc.

So, for me, IMTU, the scatter rules would have to be tamed a bit more before I'd use anything like them. As GM, I know it is my right, but at the same time, discussing the OTU and the implications of the rules on the OTU is what some of us GM's take the time to think about (when we're bored right?!!!!).

On that note - I rather like some of what is in MgT, and the Astrogation effects on a jump are worth pursuing for ANY other version of Traveller, not just MgT.
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Depending on the current situation, and where the crew jumped to, I either allow the ship to arrive at a system normally or with some issues.

I always have at least two ways out of any situation the players find themselves in, even when the players think they have painted themselves into a corner. Some ways may be less pleasant for them at least in the short run though.
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:26 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Fovean Citizen

Ive been using this little Astrogation Effect table since MgT 1e:

+1 or greater: arrive 100diam limit, save 2D hrs on jump
+0: arrive 100diam limit, normal time variation
-1: arrive 100+ (10-60) diam, normal jump time variation
-2: 100 - 300 diam, normal jump time variation
-3: 200 - 700 diam, plus 10% jump time
-4: 200 - 1200 diam, plus 20% jump time
-5: 1D AU
-6: 10 - 60 AU
-7 or less: 1D x 1D parsecs

Coarse, but avoids TPK because they are still within the Oort Cloud on a pretty bad roll.