Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old August 7th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+

I view the statement in the Mongoose Solomani book regarding the distribution of Phins as one of two things: Solomani propaganda, or and indication that there are a LOT of Phins in Sollie space. I consider the first option more likely.

More than one species of (presumably sentient) Phin has appeared in Traveller artwork, so my assumption is that T.Galactis is just one type of at least two or three, not including the aforementioned Orca population.

I have a population of Sagmatias Galactis, uplifted from Pacific and Atlantic White-sided Dolphins, in my own materials.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old August 17th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
King Midas Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Traveller Digest #13 also deals with Dophins (Tursiops Galactus). In this article, there are described two other peculiarities about them that can e interesting (or fun) in RPG:
  • They don't understand the concept of private ownership
  • "Succor síndrome": they are nearly unable to ignore a call of help by another dophin
I like the "House Ravenclaw" dolphins: "We're going to play a puzzle game called 'Collect Credits.' Here's how it works: You start out with a certain amount of 'Credits' and trade them for 'Trade Goods' at the best - lowest - possible rate. You move the Trade Goods to another location and exchange them for Credits, again at the best - this time highest - possible rate. The challenge is picking the right trade goods and matching them to the best locations."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
JTAS #6 & #7 also have an article (2 parts) by Roger Moore about Dophins (Tursiops Galactus), with background, skills, etc.
Yeah. I was thumbing through my oldest RPG stacks, and found that Journal. I was curious if anybody had tackled playing a quadriplegic barbarian character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
There are T5 compatible uplifted dolphins in the late, great Greg P. Lee's Cirque Campaign Serting Book. Three if I recall correctly.
Interesting characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
I view the statement in the Mongoose Solomani book regarding the distribution of Phins as one of two things: Solomani propaganda, or and indication that there are a LOT of Phins in Sollie space. I consider the first option more likely.

More than one species of (presumably sentient) Phin has appeared in Traveller artwork, so my assumption is that T.Galactis is just one type of at least two or three, not including the aforementioned Orca population.

I have a population of Sagmatias Galactis, uplifted from Pacific and Atlantic White-sided Dolphins, in my own materials.
IMOTU (Is that a contradiction?) Orcas have only served in Solomani marine units until very (Post Rim War) recently. I think that even over millennia, Orcas are too big to ship out as colonists on a regular basis.*

I think that smaller dolphin species would be a good idea. More human sized ones would be easier to have on ship than the larger TG types. OTOH, nothing says hello quite like a ram with the armored beak of a 200kg TG.

*My universe is "small ship." The Kinunir class is a medium sized warship. The Azhanti class is something from a fantasy holovid.