Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
This interests me as well, as I'm considering publishing a supplement for expanded universe and world creation. But despite reading and re-reading threads such as this one, as well as the OGL, I still find it confusing as to how far I can go, or can't. For instance, extended UWP ratings, the expanded UWP string, alternate government types, etc.

I'll continue my work and my research but it's so very disappointing that this situation has become so confusing and seemingly polarized.
It has been a bit confusing in the past but, with the advent of Cepheus Engine, it's really quite clear as Jason Kemp has already done most of the heavy lifting for you.

Pick up a copy of Cepheus Engine. If it is in Cepheus Engine, then it is OGL and available for your use. If it isn't, it's not. Pretty simple.

Gypsy Knights Games: Home of the Clement Sector setting.

Our website.

On Twitter @GKGames , Google + as Gypsy Knights Games and Facebook as GypsyKnights Games
Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Fovean has disabled reputation

Copy that, thank you for the clarity.

I have both CE and the CE Vehicle Handbook. I'll be revisiting them with new eyes.

Cheers and keep up the great work!
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
This interests me as well, as I'm considering publishing a supplement for expanded universe and world creation. But despite reading and re-reading threads such as this one, as well as the OGL, I still find it confusing as to how far I can go, or can't. For instance, extended UWP ratings, the expanded UWP string, alternate government types, etc.

I'll continue my work and my research but it's so very disappointing that this situation has become so confusing and seemingly polarized.
The classic UWP and UCP values are open; the design tables that underlay them are not. (T20)

Ships and Vehicles written with T20 are open; the design sequences themselves are not.

T20 Classes are open, as are racial stat mods and special abilities; the fluff-text is not.

T20 Char Gen is open, but the specific services are not.

Mongoose only released SRDs (that I've seen) for MGT1E Core, HG, and Mercenary, and there are some interesting omissions therein. Nothing else is open but what is in the SRDs.

Note that CE could technically be unlawful in some jurisdictions; German and French creator rights are far more expansive than US rights. As in, mechanics are covered, unlike the US (where it's blackletter that processes are not, nor are game rules, but the exact wording, where not essential to the game rules, is) or the UK.

Marc or his licensees could, in theory, block publication to France and Germany under the Creator's Rights laws there. Recent (last 5 years) case law includes a case which involved a german company cloning a french company's boxed card game, with new art, reworded rules, and a slight theme change; they got hit by a french court for full stoppage of sales, and damages, and germany accepted the french decision and applied it there...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:55 PM
Baron

Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+Gypsy Knights Games Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Mongoose only released SRDs (that I've seen) for MGT1E Core, HG, and Mercenary, and there are some interesting omissions therein. Nothing else is open but what is in the SRDs.
They also released an SRD for the second of the MgT 1e vehicle design books.

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/...ic.php?t=72061

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/travdevpack.zip

Mongoose had stated that they were going to do an SRD for all of the Book:X supplements at one point or another but later stated that they were too busy to do so. Dale McCoy of Jon Brazer Enterprises worked with Mongoose to create the vehicle SRD.

As I was saying before, I really wanted SRDs for some of the other books (Dynasty in particular) so I asked and received permission to do just that. I put it on the back burner as I working on a GKG release and then the word came to me that MgT2e was coming. I dropped the plan to work on the Dynasty SRD and began working on a Clement Sector version for 2e. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have worked on the Dynasty SRD.

Gypsy Knights Games: Home of the Clement Sector setting.

Our website.

On Twitter @GKGames , Google + as Gypsy Knights Games and Facebook as GypsyKnights Games
Old July 4th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I see some things were not ported over, here and there, from the Traveller SRD.
Were these not ported over for OGL/license issues?

One was capital ship and other options from the High-Guard portion of the Traveller SRD.
Another is the Mercernary and group combat.
Any rumor of these coming forth as additons or are these a no go.

Other seem to be editorial decisions to make Cepheus more like CT. Like the format of character generation. There are no event tables and skill packages, even though they were in the SRD.
Yet event tables are in the new Diverse Roles supplement or at least the sample has them.
Old July 4th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Please pardon my lack of industry knowledge. Does whatever change that opened the door for CE affect the supplements written for that version of the core game?
Just purusing DriveThruRPG I have issues with Cepheus. It just feels like a Traveller knockoff, and in that regard a lawsuit waiting to happen. Right down to the generic black covers.

Whatever.
Old July 4th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
It just feels like a Traveller knockoff, and in that regard a lawsuit waiting to happen. Right down to the generic black covers.

Whatever.
Hey sour-patch. Why the gloom?

I think the IP holder, Mr. Miller, is aware of Cepheus. My understanding from what I have seen on posts he is at the least kept abreast of things by his closer associates. If Marc is vigorous with his IP as John Watts has been with his content and avoiding joining TAS.
Old July 4th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

It just feels wrong to me. I mean why not just create a different 2d6 game altogether, and not borrow or otherwise mirror someone else's creation? That's what I don't get.

Why not just create something that uses a different 2d6 game mechanic and call it ... I don't know ... "Space Opera Game" or something, and have your own original artwork on the cover?

Like I say. Whatever.

But what thought did you want to compelte with your "If Marc Miller ..." phrase? You said "If", but there was no "then...".
Old July 4th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen+creativehum Citizen+creativehum Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
It just feels wrong to me. I mean why not just create a different 2d6 game altogether...
I think the logic is...
  1. The game materials are compatible with Traveller materials, and thus useful to an already established consumer base.
  2. Since CE is built from materials with licenses that allow the game to be built there is not problem.

I can't speak to the cover design issue, but as far as mechanics, it seems a no brainer to me.
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

I don't know. It just seems fishy to me. GL to whoever delves into it.