Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Just wondering. I've started my "house rules" page of ideas. One is:

Career as skill. A 3 term Naval character would have Navy-3 to cover all the odds and ends you learn about Navy Life. Those of you who have served know what I mean.
"What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?"
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takei View Post
Haven't played CE yet but following our current MgT game I'll be adding Perception as a characteristic. Could possibly use Int but it doesn't sit quite right.
Ok I'll bite, as a rolled attribute or a fixed one?

Does Recon modify it's roll?
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Clone95 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takei View Post
Could possibly use Int but it doesn't sit quite right.
Isn't this more or less what INT is supposed to be, though? It's Cunning vs. Education's 'Knowledge'. Streetsmarts vs. Booksmarts.

The Recon skill is trained/experienced cunning applied to the environment. If you're a reconnoiterer, you've got your eyes open on the environment.

You'll notice careers that have it as a service skill (Rogue/Pirate/Barbarian/Surface Defense/Scout - others, I'm just glancing) are all jobs where you'd need to keep your eyes out to avoid getting caught by cops/shot by baddies/clawed by monsters.

For careers like Agent, Streetwise is more appropriate since that covers looking out for 'Societal Danger' like not getting nabbed by a mugger.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
I am a sick piece of wood...
I like it

Will you be posting it anywhere?

"I am bound by canon."

Tell that to Judges Guild....
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:35 PM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Some of my ex-service buddies have long joked that the game needs a Malingering skill to properly capture the careers.
Goldbricking-3

Guardhouse Lawyer-2
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:39 PM

Gallery : 3
Visit sfchbryan's Blog
sfchbryan has disabled reputation

Deletions:
75% less passive voice.
Removed the Marines, Mercenaries, and Pirate career fields.
Removed the remaining OTU concepts and items (Those are in the Traveller Books, where they belong).
Stupid stuff (MgT had a lot of that - starting with the mishaps and event tables).

Changes:
Swapped the MgT task system for the MT task system. (Less Math and no need to change any Mgt Tasks - they match up almost exactly - just like the skill set listing. Plus I have the MT task system memorized.) Renamed a number of careers and concepts.

Separate Players and Referee's Manual.

Additions:
Paragraph indentations, white space, and oxford commas (See what I did there.). I also am adding bookmarks and ensuring that the page numbers in the ToC is correct.
Fully justified the text - because nothing says amateur quite like left-justified documents.
Standardized the charts.
Gender neutralized the document.
Law Enforcers (Constables), Journalists, with more to come.

Merging the CE Vehicle SRD, along with the Mercenary & High Guard SRD mechanics - every career field will have a choice of basic or annual character generation (They will end up with about the same amount of skills; just like MT.)
Adding the OGLed content from Orbital 2100.
Adding the OGLed World Generation Tables from Near Space.
Like Nathan, I've added the UGM content to the Players Manual, and the Flynn Guides to the Referee's Manual. I'd also recommend the GM's Guide to Planet Building over on Drivethrurpg - I have found it quite helpful.

To Do:
Building a better Trade System.
Building a Sanity Characteristic, so PCs can deal with the Eldritch horrors that await them in my campaign.

Better Artwork.
Examples (Alien Design, Character Design, Vehicle Design, Ship Design, etc.).

I shall call it:

Call of MegaCepheus Engine. ;p
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:49 AM

Takei Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
Ok I'll bite, as a rolled attribute or a fixed one?

Does Recon modify it's roll?
Perception as a rolled attribute. The attribute DM could then be used on Recon checks.

Edit: And following Clone95's post, Streetwise checks.
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:57 AM

Takei Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone95 View Post
Isn't this more or less what INT is supposed to be, though? It's Cunning vs. Education's 'Knowledge'. Streetsmarts vs. Booksmarts.

The Recon skill is trained/experienced cunning applied to the environment. If you're a reconnoiterer, you've got your eyes open on the environment.

You'll notice careers that have it as a service skill (Rogue/Pirate/Barbarian/Surface Defense/Scout - others, I'm just glancing) are all jobs where you'd need to keep your eyes out to avoid getting caught by cops/shot by baddies/clawed by monsters.

For careers like Agent, Streetwise is more appropriate since that covers looking out for 'Societal Danger' like not getting nabbed by a mugger.
I quite agree with your comments, especially the use of Streetwise. My play group however felt that Int should be more problem solving cognition rather than perceptive cognition, hence adding Perception as a seperate attribute.
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchbryan View Post
To Do:
Building a better Trade System.
Building a Sanity Characteristic, so PCs can deal with the Eldritch horrors that await them in my campaign.

Better Artwork.
Examples (Alien Design, Character Design, Vehicle Design, Ship Design, etc.).

I shall call it:

Call of MegaCepheus Engine. ;p
HRmph, if I am dealing with eldritch horrors (they are space gods after all) I sure as heck want marines around.
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM

kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++kilemall Citizen++

On the recon skill front, as part of a general effort to expand the skills to big generic ala Engineering, I have it as a combined noticing/perceiving/trained observer/sneaking skill. Its' more sedate counterpart is Investigation, the principal skill for LE AND for Scientists, possibly Brokers.