Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:38 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+
Default What rules or tables have you changed already?

Just wondering. I've started my "house rules" page of ideas. One is:

Career as skill. A 3 term Naval character would have Navy-3 to cover all the odds and ends you learn about Navy Life. Those of you who have served know what I mean.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

Sure ask such a loaded question....

Right off the bat I am the hits table from vehicles to support robots on the bottom end and to rectify the armored Eggs problem that the base system has.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:04 AM

Takei Citizen

Haven't played CE yet but following our current MgT game I'll be adding Perception as a characteristic. Could possibly use Int but it doesn't sit quite right.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:10 AM

Takei Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Career as skill. A 3 term Naval character would have Navy-3 to cover all the odds and ends you learn about Navy Life. Those of you who have served know what I mean.
I like this. It reminds me of RISUS clichés.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:11 AM

Takei Citizen

I'd also add Boon/Bane from MgT 2e.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

rhialto Citizen

Quote:

As I work on the side on my Sword and Planet version of CE I'm modifying the core CE rules to do similar things with skills: no Background or 0-level skills, just an umbrella "background", much as you're using the career for.

Also, no cascade skills. All previous cascade skills are now umbrella skills: just Archery, Gun, Gunnery and Melee for combat skills, for example (much as Engineering in CT included all engineering disciplines, and was not subdivided into specialties).

I'm also ditching any non-adventuring careers, mostly because I don't want to simulate Bureaucrats and Entertainers in an adventure game.

I've also rewritten the core "skill" system to be a core "task" system, so that it doesn't always have to involve a skill: it would, using your background of "Navy-3" for example, just be roll 2D6 for 8+ with background modifier, characteristic bonus optional.

That's it so far.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:44 AM
Baron

Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

The game I work on is more story based than random die roll, though dice do play a part. Often there's a modifier for player effort on the task. So reasonable things become easier if the player can explain how the character overcomes issues. For example, a character just gave an introduction speech. Based on the approach the player wrote the speech in I rolled each NPC's reaction and modified accordingly.

I've thought about the 7th Sea "drama dice" mechanic; the player gets one or more dice at the start of the session and they can use them if a critical roll is low. When they use the drama die the DM gets it and can use it for when an NPC action needs some extra. Haven't actually tried it yet, though. Still working out the kinks.

For the most post I don't game at the scrabble for credits level. Right now I'm trying to drown the PC in success and seeing how he handles it.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:15 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I added the following to make "my Traveller" more generic for all uses. Each source is OGL/SRD

From Universal Machine Publications:
Basic Character Generation - Added Education Chart
Physical Appearance - Added doc
Family Background - Modified SOC chart and added the rest of document.
University - I added the doc and specified which specific careers gain a a "commission" for non-military degrees and from which degree path taken (Arts, Engineering, Science)
Graduate School - Added doc, modified to incorporate degree paths from University.

From Samardan Press:
Flynn's Guide to Alien Creation - Added all the "Alien Traits". Funny, these alien traits look like they came from D&D...
Flynn's Guide to Magic in Traveller - Hmm. You can see where this is going...

From WotC:
d20 SRD - Everything else. Mapped Difficulty from Cepheus Engine to DC from SRD, Skill Levels to Skill Ranks and Die Modifiers to Die Modifiers. Hmm. Those alien traits seem much more useful now. Conversion on-gong.

I am a sick piece of wood...
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:

Some of my ex-service buddies have long joked that the game needs a Malingering skill to properly capture the careers.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:56 PM
Baronet

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

Let's see, adding a Special Duty roll to careers.

Expanding out the Hull/Jump Table to 10K dtons.

Adapting the 1E MgT High Guard rules for ship sections - and adding ganged drives, so that ships can be up to 60k dtons (though slow...)

TL9 Jump Drive is much slower, it's a month per Jump, not a week.

Added Collectors from T5, plus Antimatter.

Plus I have some rules for Jump Rutters, Shadowing and Masking that I like.

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+