Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old April 17th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Default Sylean Class BB

The copy of the Sylean BB entry states that the ship was (or is) only ever used in the Cruxway Subsector. Is that right? Didn't Library Data N-Z say that it was used throughout the Imperium, or do I have that wrong? My books are in storage, so I can't double check.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Sylean_Class_Battleship
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

I can't find any mention of the "Sylean" battleship in any of CT: Library Data N-Z, CT: Fighting Ships (Supp 9) or the Rebellion Sourcebook. It may be in some of the Mongoose materials (I have none of them), or it may just be Mr. Kline's design and interpretations.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:04 PM

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Supplement Eight, it looks like a squashed star destroyer at a hundred kay tonnes, and Mongoose First High Guard, a two hundred kay manta ray, I would hazard as a guess.
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Yeah, trying to jog my memory here, I think the error might be one of perception. I'm thinking the Sylean Class is depicted under the entry "Battleship", but that the Sylean, from what I recall, isn't specifically discussed in the entry. The class is just talked about in general with the image tacked onto it. Then the wiki entry talks about the Sylean class specifically, and limits it's canonical deployment.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Last edited by Blue Ghost; April 20th, 2017 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: changed "job" to "jog"
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:09 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You're mis-remembering a few things and forgetting one extremely important thing.

First, there is no canonical Sylea-class battleship. CT's Library data, S:9, the Rebellion Sourcebook, all of them agree that it doesn't exist. There was, however, a famous battleship from Sylea, the Empire's Banner, on which a bomb-laden courier robot exploded in a terrorist plot which provided the impetus for the Shudusham Accords.

If your memory is anything like mine, it most likely mixed and matched "battleship", "Sylea", and "library data" while also forgetting "Shudusham" and constructed a "memory" concerning a Sylea-class battleship.

Second, you're forgetting that the Wiki is essentially GARBAGE and that any entry there must be examined with great care - especially with regards to who uploaded the information and where the information allegedly came from.

Any damn fool can upload any damn thing to the Wiki as the page you linked once again proves. Kline decided to insert into canon a battleship he personally designed while also making the absurd claim the Imperium somehow only builds and uses that design in a single backwater subsector in Daibei. (Yeah. Sure. Pull the other one.)

You forgot that the Wiki is garbage last week too when the entry concerning the Battle of Two Suns confused you. After you wrote on April 9th about how a Wiki editor's "fanon" being passed off as canon confused you, the rest of the Wiki "Elves" quickly erased their previous handiwork within 48 hours and rewrote the page to a purely canonical basis.

Winston Smith and the rest of the gang at the Ministry of Truth would be proud at such a rapid use of the memory hole.

Remember, you need to take any of the Wiki's claims with a dTon of salt and remember to especially scrutinize any claimed sources.

For example, Kline notes the Rebellion Sourcebook as a source in his Sylea-class Wiki page. However, the only canonical information he actually used from that source was the number of the fleet stationed in Cruxway subsector. The rest of the entry is entirely invented and is hiding behind the rather tiny canonical fig leaf of the fleet's number.
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:31 PM

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Hundred kay would point more to a light battlecruiser.
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Angry

Well, seriously, I hope no one's trying to sell me the job of official archivist, because I don't want the job.

Well, now I have to dig through my stuff. And yeah, I probably joined a couple of neurons and came up with a fresh "new memory". Oh man, the story of my life.

Last edited by Blue Ghost; April 20th, 2017 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: added "to" for clarification
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:35 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

I found my classic compendium, and it's as I suspected and stated. The BB is discussed, and the Sylea (not sure why I want to keep calling it the Sylean) BB is shown in the pic.

To me the implication is that the Sylea (which, again thanks to mister Keith mysteriously looks like an Imperial Star Destroyer, or close cousin) is THE goto BB that's roaming Imperial space. It doesn't mention anything about restrictive deployment.

Who manages the wiki anyway?

Last edited by Blue Ghost; April 18th, 2017 at 12:18 AM..
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:24 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I found my classic compendium, and it's as I suspected and stated.

Where in the compendium is it mentioned? I didn't find it in the usual places, but all sorts of stuff is tucked away in the nooks and crannies.

Quote:
Who manages the wiki anyway?
"Manages" is wrong verb for what goes on at the Wiki as the term implies actions like "oversee", "supervise", or "administer" and none of those actions obviously occur there.

The Wiki is best thought of as an abandoned house next to a street corner where crack sales take place. After purchasing their rocks, any of the customers can wander into the house and do any damn fool thing that enters their heads. There are a few more or less permanent squatters who've staked out various rooms for their own purposes, but most of the house is completely open of anyone who happen to wander by. So small fires are lit, graffiti sprayed on walls, floors befouled in human waste, junk dragged in, garbage never dragged out, corpses dropped off, and many other more unpleasant things take place.

Instead kicking down a door or breaking a window, entering the Wiki is merely a matter of registering an account which automatically makes you an "editor". As an "editor" you can upload anything that pops into your head just as long as you compile it in proper HTML code. Any damn fool can upload any damn thing to the Wiki and, unless someone happens to read the resulting entry like you did with the Battle of Two Suns, whatever damn thing they upload has a good chance of sticking around for a while.
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

vegas Citizen

It's the entry for "Battleship" in S8. The only mention is the caption for the picture in that entry. Tough to draw a lot of conclusions from a picture caption.