Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 16th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
LtBennett Citizen
Cool Travelling from the bar in starbase to jump point

Here's another simple concept....but I'm not great at grasping the simple rules sometimes in the Rulebook...

Ok...we're all standing around the bar in the space port.....
(1) We get called into action and run to our ship
(2) HOW EXACTLY by what what steps to lift off for our "jump point"
What task roll does our PILOT roll?
Do we just assume he is fully fueled?
(3) To get to the "jump point" the ship must travel to 100 x diameter???
right?
(a) what does that "diameter" mean?
(b) let's say we have a 20 ton ship....how fast does it travel...?
and how long does it take to reach "jump point"?
MANY MANY THANKS to whoever will answer this for me.
Old April 16th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

"Ok...we're all standing around the bar in the space port..." Carouse pg. 53

(1) Athletics pg. 52
(2) Spacecraft Operations pg.137
(a) Pilot pg. 57
(b) That's up to the Referee if it's the start of a game. Otherwise... Fuel pg. 140
(3) Jump Travel pg. 141
(a) Diameter is how big around a world is.
(b) Travel Times pg. 145

I think that will answer everything. Or raise more questions.
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:31 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

First rule of refereeing:

only have the player roll the dice if the situation is important

remember that every roll of the dice makes failure more likely.
Old April 17th, 2017, 05:31 AM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBennett View Post
Here's another simple concept....but I'm not great at grasping the simple rules sometimes in the Rulebook...

Ok...we're all standing around the bar in the space port.....
(1) We get called into action and run to our ship
(3) To get to the "jump point" the ship must travel to 100 x diameter???
right?
(b) let's say we have a 20 ton ship....how fast does it travel...?
and how long does it take to reach "jump point"?
MANY MANY THANKS to whoever will answer this for me.

Like mike said, unless its dramatically important, i'd assume a routine task goes routinely. But, to answer your questions
2) A)it would be pilot (small craft or spacecraft, depending on ship type)
b) is their a reason to assume he is not fully fuelled? if he and his ship are being held ready for action, I would think he was kept topped up. bear in mind that most traveller ships have an endurance measured in weeks, so having fuel to reach the jump point is normal.

3. yes, the jump "point" is more of a "limit", within which it is a Bad Idea to jump. the limit is within 100 diameters of a large, gravity producing body (like a planet, moon or star). a Diameter is just that, the diameter of the planet (which is on the planets UWP data). for example, earth is 12,800KM "wide", so 100D is 128,000Km, or less than the distance form Earth to the Moon (~400,000Km)

for ship speed, you need to look up the ships stats. the one you need in this case is the M-drive (Manoeuvre drive ), which is rated in G's of acceleration. since your in space, thiers no friction and the only "top speed" is light speed, so what matters is how fast you can accelerate and decelerate. if you want a exact figure, you;ll need to do the maths using the 100D limit and the ships accel, but going for a rough answer off the reference tables, 100,000Km at !G is 105 minutes, assuming you accelerate to the half way point and then break the other half (the fastest way to make such a trip). due to the nature of continuous accel trips, increasing your accel shortens the trip time in a non linear manner (100,000km at 2g is only 74mins, 3g is 61m, 4g is 53m).

if you have the 2nd editon rulebook, the travel times, and the formula to work out a specific trip, are on page 152/153.

does all that make sense to you?
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
. . .
3. yes, the jump "point" is more of a "limit", within which it is a Bad Idea to jump. the limit is within 100 diameters of a large, gravity producing body (like a planet, moon or star). a Diameter is just that, the diameter of the planet (which is on the planets UWP data). for example, earth is 12,800KM "wide", so 100D is 128,000Km, or less than the distance form Earth to the Moon (~400,000Km) . . .
Actually, 100D = 1,280,000 km, or about 3 times the earth-moon distance.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
Actually, 100D = 1,280,000 km, or about 3 times the earth-moon distance.
*checks again*

balls

what he said.
Old April 17th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

LtBennett Citizen
Default Damn...this is getting scary... I got the first math error!

Thanks Xerxeskingofking and Whurlorigan and (from yesterday) Spinward Scout...all extremely helpful...and its is most scary but I am beginning to get it cause I caught the math error that Whurlorigan pointed out here...

I figured out thru some research how to find the UWP of Terra...and the SIZE of 12,800 km (already in metric luckily) x 160,000 (found in a formula) and I ended up with a Safe Jump Distance of 2,048 million km.

So....somewhat confused...but I get the basic idea...Is the newbie right about the Terra diameter being 12,800 km...
so by your formula of 100D... would equal 1,280,000km... BUT

Yet I saw another formula as I referenced above of D(km) x 160,000 that yields a result for me of 2,048,000,000 km to safe jump distance....which is closer to Whulorigan's result but different significantly still...JUST WONDERING
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Seeing as you might not be trolling, I'll have a go at answering some of your "questions":

Quote:
That depends entirely on the referee and the situation at hand. People tend to roll far too often in role playing sessions. Is the group taking off in a well-maintained ship, in good weather, after all the proper checks, etc., etc., etc.? Then there's no need to roll at all.

Is the group taking off with other ships, tanks, and whatnot shooting at them, aboard an old clapped out wreck of a ship, with little or no preparation, etc., etc.? Then there are going to be a few die rolls involved. Just what those rolls are will depend entirely on the referee.

Quote:
Whatever the referee deems is necessary and he may say no roll is needed at all.

Look at die rolls this way. Let's say a task has a 95% chance of success. Pretty good odds right? Sure, for one roll. Let's say you have 5 rolls to make each with a 95% chance of success. Still good odds? Nope. The odds of making all of those five rolls is now are 77.3% See the problem?

Think role playing and not roll playing.

Quote:
Completely situational There will be cases when the ship is and isn't. You supposed to make this stuff up and not blindly follow some checklist.

Quote:
To get to the "jump point" the ship must travel to 100 x diameter??? right?
Correct. There's no specific jump "point". That is there's no specific point where jump must occur. Instead there's a huge region in which ships can jump from.

Quote:
:blink: Really?

Diameter - noun: a straight line passing through the center of a circle or sphere and meeting the circumference

You need to clear a planet's 100 DIAMETER limit in order to jump safely. Earth's diameter is 12,800km and 100 times that is 1,280,000km.

Quote:
(b) let's say we have a 20 ton ship....how fast does it travel...? and how long does it take to reach "jump point"?
Okay... you've several gross conceptual errors going on here.

First, it's not tons. It's not a unit of weight. It's displacement tons or dTons. It's a measure of volume.

Second, Traveller ships don't have "speeds", they have acceleration ratings. They don't move at 60 mile an hour, they accelerate instead and that acceleration is usually measured in gees.

Third, ships under 100 dTons cannot jump in Traveller.

Getting back the "how long does it take to reach the jump limit" question, CT's LLB:2 has a nice chart on page 10 which can partially answer that. It lists various distances along with the time needed to cover those distances at 1 gee, 2 gees, 3 gees, etc. Looking at the one million km line, it would take 333 minutes at 1 gee, 236 minutes at 2 gees, and 192 minutes at 3 gees.
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Getting back the "how long does it take to reach the jump limit" question, CT's LLB:2 has a nice chart on page 10 which can partially answer that. It lists various distances along with the time needed to cover those distances at 1 gee, 2 gees, 3 gees, etc. Looking at the one million km line, it would take 333 minutes at 1 gee, 236 minutes at 2 gees, and 192 minutes at 3 gees.
And to follow-up Whipsnade's comment above, that chart is operating under the assumption that the ship is accelerating from world-orbit all the way to the midpoint of the jump limit (~ first 50 diameters), and then "rolling-over" and decelerating all the way from the midpoint to the actual jump limit at 100 diameters.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Yet I saw another formula as I referenced above of D(km) x 160,000 that yields a result for me of 2,048,000,000 km to safe jump distance....which is closer to Whulorigan's result but different significantly still...JUST WONDERING
I missed this bit the first time through the thread.

Could you tell us just where you're supposedly seeing that D(km) X 160,000 formula? Which version, book, page number, etc.?