Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post

If it's a big deal for people, then maybe the Traveller wiki can include additions to entries , maybe something called "official derivations" or "ATUs" ... something where fans can include their interpretations to share with other fans.
I believe one of the suggestions that has been fielded previously is to have an extra tab or two at the top of the pages next to the "Main" and "Discussion" tabs perhaps called "Non-canon" or "Fanon" (or something similar).

One of the problems, I believe, is that at the moment the term "Non-canon" on the Wiki is too broad. Good material published (for example) by the Keith Brothers in High Passage Magazine, or Far Traveller, or by Gamelords, or material by Paranoia Press is all technically Non-canon "Apocrypha", but Fanon-created material invented entirely by a typical Traveller fan currently falls under the same Non-canon category. And those two are very different things.

It seems to me that a special tab for Fan-created material should be on the page if Fanon material is to be retained. That would leave the Main Page for the Canon material and published Non-canon sources, properly footnoted and annotated in the References section.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CĖA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old April 20th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Wookieepedia has larger issues with fanon, and clearly separates them.
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Yeah, I think a "Fan-canon" or "ATU" or something would be good for that site.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
And as a wiki, it's under a continual state of improvement. Perhaps that improvement is non-linear, but it gets better over time as inconsistencies are removed and problems ironed out. As it is used.

That's the idea, anyway. I'm sure Whipsnade could be permitted to correct that entry, right? Bad facts bother me too.
He isn't just permitted to correct the entry. He has been invited and welcomed to do so for a long time.

Whipsnade is full of knowledge... and complaints. The wiki and other Traveller efforts could really use his help if he was so motivated.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
*** What strategy do they use that you like? ***

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I'm tempted to geek out on this ... but will refrain. This is a game with semi-serious "let's get it right" overtones, wargamers and RPGers being the kind of people that we are, so I'm surprised that liberties would be taken. However I'm not bothered by it, because the real deal is printed in books and now burned on official "canon" CDs.
The wiki states this very clearly:

"The Traveller RPG Wiki is not considered a canonical source for any Traveller materials. If you, as an author or pedant, need to cite Traveller canon we encourage you to refer to the original primary source material."

Quote:
If it's a big deal for people, then maybe the Traveller wiki can include additions to entries , maybe something called "official derivations" or "ATUs" ... something where fans can include their interpretations to share with other fans.
It's not a big deal for the vast majority of folks.

Quote:
I remember my ten shot battery pack for the Laser pistol in Mission on Mithril. It's not canon, but I've brought it up here, and it might be fun for other or newer players to read about on the wiki with some kind of "Fan Entry".

Just my take.
You are welcomed to do so, Blue Ghost! Please.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Visit Spenser TR's Blog
Spenser TR Citizen

Iím not very long here, but itís continually fascinating to me the way some of us feel canon is so very clear, others do not, and that thereís really not so many easy mechanics in place to verify canonicity. It seems pretty organic, even with the hermeneutic posted.

It seems like itís cool to question whatís written, especially on a resource thatís been designed from the bar napkin stage forward to be rewritten. By anyone.

It doesnít feel so cool when we use diminutive versions of each otherís names. Or we lash out.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Emerson
Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:08 PM

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

I think we're going to have to tab it, between what's generally accepted as canon, and what's not.

The problem is that, at least for spacecraft, you'd have half a dozen different interpretations of performance from differing editions, based on the ship design formulas they have.

So if the hundred kay tonne Sylea class battleship from supplement eight is canon, you'd have to explain why the two hundred kay one from Mongoose isn't, or if it's a later class reusing the name.

But if the above explanation isn't canon, you'd have to place it under a different tab marked legendary or fanon.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 10:45 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I really don't want to post this, and I don't want to get off topic, but I typically don the fanboy hat when ethics are radically altered to serve some agenda. In media it's to help inspire and guide social values. So, at Star Fleet Games I'd angrily, ferociously, and with passion argue for original Trek, and dismiss and otherwise trash The Next Generation because of the social psychology that had been injected into the then new show.

With Traveller, as per the rules, there "is no prime directive" and other trappings of what any service, especially the scouts or even the navy or marines, are all about. So, "lashing out", for me, has a basis, but I see no reason to do so for the Sylea.

The game's evolved since 1981 or thereabouts when I was fighting off pirates using Snapshot. But, like all fictional properties, even mythology, everybody has their version of what is and what should be. Traveller, like Gamma World, Blue Planet, Jovian Chronicles, Intruder Alert, you determine your ethics. The details of the tech are altered to suit the game and players, but are not altered to serve some social agenda. And that's when I get fired up.

I get a sense that someone needed that explanation, so there it is.

I am concerned that the Sylea is going to be outclassed by being grandfathered out of the official scheme of things because Keith or whoever arbitrarily assigned her a "big mass" number before the game's big starship mechanic evolved to the point that it has now. I think for continuity sake it ought to remain a BB, but perhaps her tonnage needs to be upgraded.

Some deck plans would be cool too.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 10:48 PM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Can point me at one or more specific pages in the wookipedia where this separation occurs? The general notion has been pointed out previously, but not specific examples.

There are features and extensions installed and configured in Wikia, the host for Wookipedia, that we can't install on the Traveller Wiki due to various technical issues. So I may not be able to exactly duplicate the Wookipedia, but I can see how the system works.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Closed Thread