Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Cleon Memorial Library

The Cleon Memorial Library For discussion of Traveller fiction, both official and fan-written. Fan-written drafts are explicitly welcome.

Old November 30th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-4

Gallery : 0
littleidio Citizen
Default Writing in the OTU and publishing

I tried emailing Marc Miller on this subject with no reply. Wondered if any of you have answers.

My new creative outlet is writing and I've started on a project using the Traveller universe as the setting. I want to submit the first chapter to a magazine with the hope that they will serialize it. Long shot but you have to have goals.

I assume I'd need permission to do this if I make any money off it looking at the far future enterprises legalese here

I know there are some published Traveller works that are for sale. How do you get on that boat?
Old November 30th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

While not an official answer for YOU, here is an official answer to someone else's request to write a fiction book for Traveller ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
I have two provisos:

One. G-rated. No sexual content. I am adamant.

Two. When you get to publication we can negotiate an appropriate acknowledgement.
... it gives you a starting point for expectations.

I suggest that getting an offer will grease the wheels of getting a response since it moves from an 'idea' to a 'reality'. If the two provisos above are a problem, then you should walk away from the Traveller brand for this project. Otherwise, contact Marc after you have an offer and before you sign a contract to get the necessary permission. The Administrators on COTI may be able to help get Marc's attention for you.

The gmail address at the FFE store is the best contact for Marc, don't try to contact him through Facebook ... that's an uphill battle.

Good luck.
Old November 30th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-4

littleidio Citizen

That is promising. Neither of those provisos are a problem. I did try his gmail address with no response several weeks ago.
Thanks very much. When I get closer to submission (somewhere between this weekend and never) I'll ping him again.
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 171
The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+The Pakkrat Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to The Pakkrat

What is G-rated about:

Sack of Gashikan
Any Frontier War
The Maghiz
Strephon's assassination
Hard Times
Virus
Empress Wave
Uplifting any non-sophont
and many other topics

If only sexual content is limited to G-rated, then there is a tunnel-vision opinion about what is unacceptable Traveller media.
The Pakkrat 0608 X58738-8 S va++ so+ zh+ vi+ da+ 534
On assignment: Roethoeegaeaegz (Knoellighz 1726)
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:35 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pakkrat View Post
What is G-rated about:

Sack of Gashikan
Any Frontier War
The Maghiz
Strephon's assassination
Hard Times
Virus
Empress Wave
and many other topics

If only sexual content is limited to G-rated, then there is a tunnel-vision opinion about what is unacceptable Traveller media.
Personally, I suspect that the goal is that if an 11 year old should pick up a Traveller product, the parents should not have to proof it first for suitable content ... no nudity in the artwork or R [violence, profanity, adult subject matter] content that might require a warning label. Marc has been consistent in his defense of the 'Traveller brand' against adult influences.

But, hey ... I was just passing on a snippet of a conversation from a friend writing teen sci-fi asking Marc if he could get permission to use Traveller IP (like Place names) or if he needed to file off the Traveller 'serial numbers' to get it published. He was excited to get Marc's response and I shared Marc's provisos.

If you want to try and get permission to make an X-rated Traveller movie, involving Strephon's assassination, Hard Times and Uplifting a non-sophont ... then don't let me stop you from asking Marc for permission. I am not any sort of official word on this subject. I was just passing on what worked for other people.
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:11 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
What is G-rated about:

Sack of Gashikan
Any Frontier War
Simply most any "war" movie up to the mid-60's is arguably G-Rated.

Many a young lad consumed vast quantities of Cops and Robbers, Westerns, and War Movies. It's not all grazes and getting shot in the leg or shoulder.

Quote:
The Maghiz
Strephon's assassination
Hard Times
Virus
Empress Wave
You mean Winnie the Pooh? Pretty sure stuffed animals aren't originally sophonts.
and many other topics. We just watched Paddington on DVD. That was delightful, but it was PG. "Tense action sequences in a tub going down the stairs" or something.

Quote:
Pretty sure the G-Rating was specific to sexual content, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to be keen on Saving Private Ryan levels of violent detail.

And, yes, societally we do distinguish between acts of violence and sex in media. Sorry, 'tis truth. As has been demonstrated through thousands of hours of film and television, and millions of words of story over the ages, you can tell compelling stories without having to "go there" in any of several gray areas.

Yea, and then there's Ghost by John Ringo -- sheesh, talk about needing a disclaimer. Holy Banana Splits. I skipped a third of that book. "What the…"
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
If only sexual content is limited to G-rated ...
... it might explain all the violence ....
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:50 PM

I cry B.S.! Hivers get to shake hands on camera and the Imperium Discovery Channel gets to film K'kree 'rituals', why can't Vargr or Aslan or Darrians or (insert vaguely humanoid, upright biped) do the thing?
Old December 1st, 2016, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
I cry B.S.! Hivers get to shake hands on camera and the Imperium Discovery Channel gets to film K'kree 'rituals', why can't Vargr or Aslan or Darrians or (insert vaguely humanoid, upright biped) do the thing?
Only the hivers get a pass...
Then again, they also kill their own young as vermin...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 1st, 2016, 06:34 AM

Exclamation Mischeif Managed

I can see it now:

The novel you are about to read has been changed from its original format. Text has been removed or altered to protect the infantile or immature or humans.

But in my book's case, there's no worry. I was able to find only a single paragraph I was able to identify, modify, or remove and still preserve the significance of the scene. Vargr euphemisms and the like.

Too bad too.

Censored at the Writer's desk, this is the Pakkrat, (returning to Knoellighz Sector because Humans are illogical).