Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old October 30th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 24
Enoki Citizen+Enoki Citizen+
Default The "Other" side of the known universe

I've been slowly adding details to entries on the other side of the Imperium. This includes the Gateway, Crucis Margin, Coreward Hinterworlds, and Glimmerdrift.

I want to try to give everyone the opportunity and reason to game there as much as the Spinward Marches.
Old October 30th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
I've been slowly adding details to entries on the other side of the Imperium. This includes the Gateway, Crucis Margin, Coreward Hinterworlds, and Glimmerdrift.

I want to try to give everyone the opportunity and reason to game there as much as the Spinward Marches.
Hi Enoki,

Thanks for all of your hard work making that interesting area of Charted Space help come alive...

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old October 30th, 2016, 07:35 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimsmelchak View Post
Hi Enoki,

Thanks for all of your hard work making that interesting area of Charted Space help come alive...

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Is this being posted to the Wiki as non-canon material? Is it acceptable to post non-canon material to the Wiki covering areas not covered in canon?
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old October 31st, 2016, 12:21 AM

Gallery : 24
Enoki Citizen+Enoki Citizen+

I don't know how everyone views the Wiki, but the way I see it is, it's really a great thing for allowing gamers / writers / and others with an interest in Traveller to add to what is a massively huge universe.
So long as the game rules are followed, canon, and previous information entered is considered, the only thing that can come from those who take an interest in the game, a real interest, is a richness of ideas and color that makes the Traveller universe come alive.

To give an example from recent history, it was the genius of IBM in creating an open source small computer that led to the PC revolution. The previous closely guarded source code, proprietary system only limited innovation, and creativity.

It's not like the core rules or canon are threatened. They aren't. If anything, more stuff in Wiki only generates interest in those rules and canon.
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:57 AM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
I don't know how everyone views the Wiki, but the way I see it is, it's really a great thing for allowing gamers / writers / and others with an interest in Traveller to add to what is a massively huge universe.
So long as the game rules are followed, canon, and previous information entered is considered, the only thing that can come from those who take an interest in the game, a real interest, is a richness of ideas and color that makes the Traveller universe come alive.

To give an example from recent history, it was the genius of IBM in creating an open source small computer that led to the PC revolution. The previous closely guarded source code, proprietary system only limited innovation, and creativity.

It's not like the core rules or canon are threatened. They aren't. If anything, more stuff in Wiki only generates interest in those rules and canon.

But just make sure that the article(s) is/are clearly labeled as "non-canon" for the sake of clarity to those who are users of the site. Not everyone who uses the wiki is an old grognard who knows what is in official publication and what is the work of fandom.

The sources of information or authorship that underlie an article on the site should be clear to any user, including newbies.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old October 31st, 2016, 06:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Is this being posted to the Wiki as non-canon material? Is it acceptable to post non-canon material to the Wiki covering areas not covered in canon?
Yes, all is indicated as non-canon per the statement from the wiki master and Marc Miller. I don't speak for either though.

The Traveller universe is like Swiss cheese, full of holes and areas not detailed or never detailed. The wiki was warranted as a project by FFE for the fans and by the fans. Since published material is considered canon, as far as that goes, and the wiki is not published in the traditional way, the wiki is not canon. Ultimately, per Don's Hermeneutic, Marc determines it all with the final word. But, apart from Marc Miller, every fan is free to enjoy the material as they see fit in their own ATU or IMTU fashion.

Citations are warranted as always.

What isn't allowed is material from licensees, who have asked to not be included. Just about everything else is fair game.

You could clarify with Thomas Jones-Low if you need more details.

And I'd be happy to stand corrected if someone has better information.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:05 PM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Is it acceptable to post non-canon material to the Wiki covering areas not covered in canon?
It is both allowed and encouraged. Please make sure you have permission to post the material before doing so. If you are posting your own material, you are doing so under the terms of the Traveller Copyright License and the Creative commons license (CC BY-SA 3.0).
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old October 31st, 2016, 09:49 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
It is both allowed and encouraged. Please make sure you have permission to post the material before doing so. If you are posting your own material, you are doing so under the terms of the Traveller Copyright License and the Creative commons license (CC BY-SA 3.0).
So, if I post the sector I am working on which is to the Rimward of the Solomani Area, it would be acceptable. I already understood that if I wished to publish it, I would have to dicker with Marc. Probably would switch things around a bit though. I do have one sub-sector pretty well worked out.

I assume that this would hold true for equipment ideas as well?
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old November 1st, 2016, 08:28 AM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
So, if I post the sector I am working on which is to the Rimward of the Solomani Area, it would be acceptable. I already understood that if I wished to publish it, I would have to dicker with Marc. Probably would switch things around a bit though. I do have one sub-sector pretty well worked out.
It would be welcomed with open arms. Publishing with Marc's approval requires Marc's approval. The nice thing about the wiki is you can update the parts as you go.

Quote:
I assume that this would hold true for equipment ideas as well?
Yes. The wiki has a number of formatting templates as well.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old November 1st, 2016, 11:05 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
It would be welcomed with open arms. Publishing with Marc's approval requires Marc's approval. The nice thing about the wiki is you can update the parts as you go.

Yes. The wiki has a number of formatting templates as well.
With respect to equipment, I would likely use either actual U.S. Army drawings or photos, along with actual data on said equipment. Am I correct that the only copyright that the Wiki could claim is to the actual format that I use to portray the equipment?