Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
MThompson016 Citizen
Default Technology Level Chronology

On a couple of Traveller Facebook groups, it's been asked about when the Imperium was at what Technology Level. From a couple of sources, here's what I have:

I've seen the question "What year was tech level X first reached?" come around a few times in various discussions online for Traveller. Here's my research on it for Imperial Society:
  • TL 11, defined as J2, was first achieved during the 1st Imperium. 909 BCE (c. -5422 Imperial) is given in GURPS Traveller on page 47 in the side bar. This may have been the maximum technology level during the Long Night for production purposes.
  • TL 12, defined as J3 and Meson weapons, was developed by the Terrans around -2284, and deployed within a decade. The Terran Confederation and the Rule of Man are not known to have exceeded this technological development. However, an out of the way lab could have made some TL 13 prototypes...
  • TL 13 was developed before 624, when the Xboat system was first established. So it roughly corresponds to the Imperial Civil War era.
  • TL 14 was matured by the late 900's, when the J-5 capable Azhanti High Lightning class Fleet Intruders were produced.
  • TL 15 breakthroughs were made following the Rim War from 990 to 1002. It is specifically noted the demands of the Rim War led the Imperium to make the breakthroughs required for TL 15.

I have excluded the Darrians, as they mess it all up and their discoveries were not widespread. I have the suspicion much of their work was more theoretical than anything. I heavily relied upon the Library Data in GURPS Traveller, and the history section in Rim of Fire, as well as Mongoose Traveller 1e Core Book to give the dates and defining the technology levels.

Link to my posting: http://travellersandbox.blogspot.com...-and-year.html
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

the first non Ancient-derived Jump drive (and by extenstion, TL9/10) was by the vlani in -9235 (by the wiki, but it lists J2 as -5430, so they might be counting slightly differently), so that's another date for your books.

reference given is GURPS interstellar wars.
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

You should have looked up MegaTraveller, in the Referee's Companion you will find the actual dates.

Quote:
- 1776..TL10 Syleans maintain minimal interstellar trade
- 650....TL11 Sylean Federation established
- 150....TL12 Robot manufacturing reestablished
300......TL13 Vargr Campaigns taking place (210-348)
700......TL14 Xboat system being built (624-718)
1000....TL15 Solomani Rim War taking place (998-1002)
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
MThompson016 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
You should have looked up MegaTraveller, in the Referee's Companion you will find the actual dates.
Ohh, wish I had those books. I've got some used Classic stuff, but otherwise, everything I have is from the last 16 years.
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Also:
the Vilani sometimes encountered worlds that were well above Vlands TL - these worlds all lacked the jump drive though. So after careful study and archiving of their technology the Vilani would sterilize these worlds, jump a few ships into the oort cloud and send a few comets inbound, then follow up with some smaller rocks and nukes.
The secrets were locked away and the Vilani artificially and deliberately stagnated their TL to 11 - suppressing technological breakthroughs and withholding the secrets.

Terrans during the ISW era were able to rapidly advance from TL9 to TL11 through a combination of reverse engineering, purchasing of advanced tech, and outright theft.

It is my belief that at some point Terran agents found out about Vilani knowledge repositories and raided them and from these archives made the rapid advance to TL12
(ask yourself what the key TL12 technologies the Vilani were so afraid of and you will start to understand why they deliberately stagnated).

During the ROM there is evidence from T4 that r&d up to TL14 was being conducted.

During the long night individual worlds may have gone all the way to TL16 or higher, before encountering issued such as the Darrians...
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThompson016 View Post
Ohh, wish I had those books. I've got some used Classic stuff, but otherwise, everything I have is from the last 16 years.
If you are interested in completing your knowledge of Traveller then I would recommend getting the MT cd rom from FFE.
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Also:
the Vilani sometimes encountered worlds that were well above Vlands TL - these worlds all lacked the jump drive though. So after careful study and archiving of their technology the Vilani would sterilize these worlds, jump a few ships into the oort cloud and send a few comets inbound, then follow up with some smaller rocks and nukes.
The secrets were locked away and the Vilani artificially and deliberately stagnated their TL to 11 - suppressing technological breakthroughs and withholding the secrets.

Terrans during the ISW era were able to rapidly advance from TL9 to TL11 through a combination of reverse engineering, purchasing of advanced tech, and outright theft.

It is my belief that at some point Terran agents found out about Vilani knowledge repositories and raided them and from these archives made the rapid advance to TL12
(ask yourself what the key TL12 technologies the Vilani were so afraid of and you will start to understand why they deliberately stagnated).

During the ROM there is evidence from T4 that r&d up to TL14 was being conducted.

During the long night individual worlds may have gone all the way to TL16 or higher, before encountering issued such as the Darrians...
where is that referenced? ive not heard of that before, and seen quite a few referances that say vlani were the most advanced polity of their time.
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Noble

It's pieced together from canon - especially the timeline for Vilani exploration, colonisation, conquest and later consolidation wars - and what is written in Marc's novel about the secret Vilani archives of forbidden technology.

The Vilani were the only race with a jump drive during their rise to empire - but they were not the most technologically advanced.

The Terran rapid rise from TL9 to TL12 is my conjecture but it fits the known facts.
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
The Vilani were the only race with a jump drive during their rise to empire - but they were not the most technologically advanced.
Actually the Geonee also had the Jump Drive independent of (and slightly before) the Vilani, but they acquired it thru reverse-engineering of remnants of Ancient-relic technology.

Of course the Vilani and Geonee entered into conflict shortly after contact and were subsequently absorbed by the Ziru Sirka . . .

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old August 18th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Noble

By the time the Vilani encountered the Geonee they already had a sizable sphere of colonies and were still open to developing new technology.
The Geonee were not much of a threat to the Vilani or conflict would have erupted long before the Vilani made the breakthrough to TL11 and jump 2 technology.

While the Geonee may have had a jump drive reverse engineered from relic tech they appear to be a lot less developed than the Vilani of the era. Hence not a threat but worth dominating via trade.

A thousand or so years later when the Vilani launched their consolidation wars to establish the Ziru Sirka they were a lot more advanced than the Geonee.
They also explored further than the Geonee and encountered alien races of a range of TLs, including some higher than themselves (Marc's novel) and it is this tech they hid away.
Their leaders also decided to cap their TL...