Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old July 29th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Baron

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+
Default Are there details of things from the book....

... such as specifics on any of the ships that are mentioned, the sophonts that are encountered (in particular the Threep and Newt races) or the technology behind the personality scanning (and probably a dozen things I can't recall at the moment) that can be used in-game?

For instance, what if I wanted to create a Threep NPC or character? How would I go about that?

Or have my players encounter the ship that Lagash is on (which I can't recall the name right now)?

Or more details of the worlds that were in the book? I know there is a list of UWPs and coordinates in the back, but I am interested in "flavor text" that I can add to my World Lookup spreadsheet.

(And I assume that everything in the book is considered Canon since Marc wrote it after all....)
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
jcrocker Citizen

The Newts are used in GURPS Traveller. They seem to get allocated the admin type jobs.

The rest is pure imagination.

If you want a Threep character, your best bet would be to have AotI in one hand, a sturdy table to rest the T5 book on, flip through T5, and keep tweaking until you find what seems the best fit for you.

For NPCs just assume all stats are 7, it's easier that way.
Old July 29th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 37
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Bwaps.

I thought the Bwaps got a write-up in T4. I seem to recall reading about how their rituals and their sacred tree tie in together with their excellence at Bureaucracy , but it has been so long I don't exactly recall where I saw them wrote up. Them and the Vegans...pretty sure it was a T4 Alien Module.

Dangnabbit, hold on...

WHOO-HOO! I was right!

T4 Book 4: Aliens Archive, pages 69-77.

I would scan it for Threeps, but I have to bounce to the store and then work in a bit. But there are your Bwaps, and being T4 I suspect the Racial bits will translate fairly easily to T5 but I am just guessing.

Hope that helps.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; July 29th, 2016 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Corrected italics, finished incomplete thought.
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Baron

Visit DickNervous's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
I thought the Bwaps got a write-up in T4. I seem to recall reading about how their rituals and their sacred tree tie in together with their excellence at Bureaucracy , but it has been so long I don't exactly recall where I saw them wrote up. Them and the Vegans...pretty sure it was a T4 Alien Module.

Dangnabbit, hold on...

WHOO-HOO! I was right!

I would scan it for Threeps, but I have to bounce to the store and then work in a bit. But there are your Bwaps, and being T4 I suspect the Racial bits will translate fairly easily to T5 but I am just guessing.

Hope that helps.
That helps tremendously! Thank you!
Old July 30th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post

Dangnabbit, hold on...

WHOO-HOO! I was right!

Hope that helps.
CT, the Newts are in Best of JTAS 3, p 14. (which also means somewhere in JTAS issuse 13-16)
GT, AR 4, p 22 (Bwaps)
I didn't find threeps in Aliens Archive, nor the JTAS index, nor GTAR 1-4, GTH, nor anywhere in the OCR'd files on any of the CD's. (But not all are OCR'd.)

Heck, I don't even have a clue what a threep is.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Baron

Visit DickNervous's Blog
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I didn't find threeps in Aliens Archive, nor the JTAS index, nor GTAR 1-4, GTH, nor anywhere in the OCR'd files on any of the CD's. (But not all are OCR'd.)

Quote:
This particular squad was composed of six Threep, a trifold sophont with three legs, three arms with three-fingered hands, a head with three faces. They were considerably more agile than they looked.(pg 169)
They are the sophonts who are the crew of the ship that Enna Lagash is on. The interesting thing about them is that they can sense life forms, which was very useful in the chapter where they evacuated the people from the planet where the self-replicating robots were building a ship.
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
CT, the Newts are in Best of JTAS 3, p 14. (which also means somewhere in JTAS issuse 13-16)
GT, AR 4, p 22 (Bwaps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
They are the sophonts who are the crew of the ship that Enna Lagash is on. The interesting thing about them is that they can sense life forms, which was very useful in the chapter where they evacuated the people from the planet where the self-replicating robots were building a ship.
Threep is an alternate term for the Tripods according to AotI; they are located on the T5.00 CD-ROM: a picture is found in a separate file on the CD called "T5 Sophont Tripod Basic". Note that the concept appearance is somewhat different than in the AotI diagram.

To my knowledge, this is the first mention of them in any published source.

The following are all first-mention (to my knowledge) somewhere on the T5 CDROM:
  • Tripod (Separate File - "T5 Sophont Tripod Basic")
  • Tinroa (Native to Shvireeyiyi/Foreven) -See T5.00, p.513, 558
  • Plexxan See T5.00, p.114, 276, 638; (also in AotI)
  • Qliq (Separate File - "T5 Sophont Qliq Basic")
  • Schilrathen of Poros 3 See T5.00, p.368

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
... such as specifics on any of the ships that are mentioned, the sophonts that are encountered (in particular the Threep and Newt races) or the technology behind the personality scanning (and probably a dozen things I can't recall at the moment) that can be used in-game?

For instance, what if I wanted to create a Threep NPC or character? How would I go about that?

Or have my players encounter the ship that Lagash is on (which I can't recall the name right now)?

Or more details of the worlds that were in the book? I know there is a list of UWPs and coordinates in the back, but I am interested in "flavor text" that I can add to my World Lookup spreadsheet.

(And I assume that everything in the book is considered Canon since Marc wrote it after all....)
The Newts are covered in the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society Number 12, page 12 and following. The article does include information on creating a Newt character. I am not sure if "Fair Use" would include posting the character creation data here.

Bwaps is another name for the Newts, per JTAS 12.

Quote:
Also known as Bwaps or Wabs, (from their name for themselves, Bawapakerwa-a-a-awapawab), the newts originated on Marhaban, in the Lentuli subsector.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
The Newts are covered in the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society Number 12, page 12 and following. The article does include information on creating a Newt character. I am not sure if "Fair Use" would include posting the character creation data here.

Bwaps is another name for the Newts, per JTAS 12.
The Bwap article at the wiki is fairly good:

External Link: [http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Bwap ]

The references could still use some more detail, but they are a good place to start.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old July 31st, 2016, 05:21 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimsmelchak View Post
The Bwap article at the wiki is fairly good:

External Link: [http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Bwap ]

The references could still use some more detail, but they are a good place to start.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
You might want to correct the JTAS article listing from 11 to 12 for accuracy.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!