Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Cleon Memorial Library

The Cleon Memorial Library For discussion of Traveller fiction, both official and fan-written. Fan-written drafts are explicitly welcome.

Old November 7th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

Just read "The Huntress", reminds me of an ex-girlfriend that shows up in games now and again. :P
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:59 AM
Baron

Just wanted to add to this, a downer. There was no one in the story to root for. One manipulates, one is a dufus, and the last becomes emotionally dead. Readers want to identify with at least one character in the story and to feel sympathetic to them. There's no one to latch on to there.

Any of the three, or all of them, could be made more attachable. Myra is hurt but struggles back, the guy is pressured into the marriage, and the manipulator is driven by some dark secret. Giving the reader some knowledge of why the issues exist helps.
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:44 PM
Knight

lostscout5 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Just read "The Huntress", reminds me of an ex-girlfriend that shows up in games now and again. :P
I think most of us know someone like Helga. Just be thankful your's is an ex. I pity the poor slob that is currently married to mine. But still better him than me!
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:47 PM
Knight

lostscout5 Citizen

Quote:
Just wanted to add to this, a downer. There was no one in the story to root for. One manipulates, one is a dufus, and the last becomes emotionally dead. Readers want to identify with at least one character in the story and to feel sympathetic to them. There's no one to latch on to there.

Any of the three, or all of them, could be made more attachable. Myra is hurt but struggles back, the guy is pressured into the marriage, and the manipulator is driven by some dark secret. Giving the reader some knowledge of why the issues exist helps.
Hmm, good point. I always intended these shorts to be an introduction to the characters. I develop Myra more in the novel I'm working on. But I should have expanded more here. Thanks.
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM
Knight

lostscout5 Citizen

Been a little busy with work and family of late. So I haven't been on the site much. But I have been working on my novel "Sword in the Shadows". About 30-40% done. It's set in 1202. Mostly on Mora/Mora. But if these changes to the Empress wave are right, the second book I planned to wright just went right out the window. C'est la vie!
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:03 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostscout5 View Post
Been a little busy with work and family of late. So I haven't been on the site much. But I have been working on my novel "Sword in the Shadows". About 30-40% done. It's set in 1202. Mostly on Mora/Mora. But if these changes to the Empress wave are right, the second book I planned to wright just went right out the window. C'est la vie!
The joy of a non-OTU setting is doing what you want. Mine are in 1428 and the game we're playing is 1416. Zip on the Empress Wave. Did a little reading on it and dropped it. Ugh. Until we start making light sabres and The Force Canon, the EW seems to be silly.
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:39 PM
Knight

lostscout5 Citizen

Quote:
The joy of a non-OTU setting is doing what you want. Mine are in 1428 and the game we're playing is 1416. Zip on the Empress Wave. Did a little reading on it and dropped it. Ugh. Until we start making light sabres and The Force Canon, the EW seems to be silly.
. I think light sabers are still out. But Psi{force} lightning, maybe.
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:39 PM
Baron

No light sabres, no silly cross galaxy wave. I don't think anyone really thought of the energy requirement if you actually think of how big space is.

My personal advice would be to make all three main characters have more depth. Know their why, what is changing in their life? What drives them? The deeper you can make the reader identify with the characters the more of a story you have.