Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old December 27th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Baronet

Gallery : 0
Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

Kinda yes and kinda no?

Rather than wafers with Agents, IMTU I simply posited AI of varying levels of complexity/power were ubiquitous. The man on the street had a very basic AI that acted as a Siri/Cortana+ all the way to very powerful AI's that the highest ranked members of Imperial service and megacorporations had. A combination of personal assistants, oracles, and "business intelligence executives".

I saw an Imperium where the AI provided an invisible tripwire against internal aggression/revolt as well as providing "Russian Doll" layers of encryption for data and secrets which they would reveal on an as needed basis - up to a including someone having access to something like an Imperial Warrant which they didn't know that they had until the AI determined that a certain criteria were met.

That parallels the spots in the book where the Agent is activated "on the suggestion" (or directive, I'm not sure which) of the ship's computer. Clearly the idea that there is a relatively high-level heuristic monitoring the ship's activities makes sense when there are so many, many things that can threaten the ship, crew, or Imperial systems - most of which are probably highly, highly classified.

Sure, the big fear was that an AI of sufficient power would go rogue (that was a plot point for one campaign) - but (IMTU) the Imperium didn't see any other way to help those in power manage the sheer amounts of data needed to do their jobs.

What really resonated for me was the absolute authority and weight of the Emperor and his representative. Be it fear, respect, or something else, that is something that fits in my vision of the Imperium.

D.
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Knight

Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post

That parallels the spots in the book where the Agent is activated "on the suggestion" (or directive, I'm not sure which) of the ship's computer.
Just thinking on this and connecting it to something in the T5 rules. Many organisations have a book of rules and regulations (The Book). The Book " detail[s] how any specific situation should be handled bureaucratically".

For the Navy and Scouts when the Danger and Risk rating hits a certain mark it must trigger a certain set of responses according to The Book (which is contained in the computer's programming).

It would be interesting to know what the Imperial Navy's Book Rating or BR is. Which goes to my original comments in this tread about obedience.
Knight of Deneb - Reft - 2738 Cyril

Damn you gravity, you win again...

tc tne+ T5++ ru ge++ 3i++ c- au+ pi+ he++ so++ 0201
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Travellermap

Forn 2404 Kulabisha will need a red zone having gone nova mid 502.

If they can predict a nova to within 6 months, I'd say they have the science down pretty tight.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Why will it need a red zone 500 years later?
Old December 28th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

inexorabletash has disabled reputation

I assume that T5SS dataset changes will be made one someone picks up the reigns from Don. The Sophont review needs at least two new additions as well.

Hooray for our first canonical world in Itvi! Current sector data there is unofficial, but I'm not updating the name to match Agent just yet.

And I wonder what "Caes" is short for...
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Hyphen Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I saw an Imperium where the AI provided an invisible tripwire against internal aggression/revolt as well as providing "Russian Doll" layers of encryption for data and secrets which they would reveal on an as needed basis - up to a including someone having access to something like an Imperial Warrant which they didn't know that they had until the AI determined that a certain criteria were met.
Similar to the "toots" from March Upcountry?
- Count of Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - The Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - The Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron of Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Challenge Coins:
(#222) Plat.Ldr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Marquis

Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Why will it need a red zone 500 years later?
A question worth discussing.

First, in 502, 2404 supernovas; These worlds would've been charred. Mach 300 shock wave moving out thousand of light years with a Mach 1000 backwash in system. E687000-0
70% water vaporized. No longer a "Garden world".

This would could have poured gamma rays on local systems. Depending on the type, any system within a 100 light years would have more than noticed. Systems within 25 light years would have had ecological damage. This was a 2 subsector natural disaster not a brief event.

By the Golden Age, the system would either have a black hole, neutron star, or nothing, and gas clouds in the system would have high radiation levels giving off those pretty lights.
TAS LISH2836

Last edited by savage; December 29th, 2015 at 01:31 AM..
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

It's a nova - material on a white dwarf exploding. Not a supernova.
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It's a nova - material on a white dwarf exploding. Not a supernova.
To clarify further...

A Nova is not the death throws of a star. The standard nova is a process.
Step 1: Binary system with imbalanced stars.
Step 2: A, the primary, collapses to a white dwarf.
Step 3: B, the companion, is destabilized in orbit, then starts to infall, still burning in the main sequence.
Step 4: As B spirals, it crosses the roche limit, and begins to lose mass to A.
Step 5: when enough "atmosphere" accumulates on A, it fuses.
Step 6: If B survives, it continues to lose mass to A's surface. Go to 5.
Step 6A: eventually, either B impacts A, or B is stripped down to nothing by A, eventually becoming one white dwarf, or maybe even a neutron star.

It can blow up as often as a few decades between bangs, if the stars are close enough.

If big enough, the final BANG from a nova is a type 1A supernova - the mass finally hits the point that the core of A collapses and the shell detonates, usually resulting in a neutron star A and a big ring of ejecta, and a glow that be seen for billions of light years, and can outshine a galaxy... for a few weeks.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 29th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Marquis

Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Thanks for the clarification.

However, the planets have a high probability of being laid to waste. In the story line it clearly says everyone will die. It will strip off the Ozone layer and boil the oceans. Perhaps the planet may survive but would be nothing more than another Mars.

We have yet to study worlds within a "Nova/Supernova" solar system. Our only example so far are the elements/ materials that reach Earth from distant events.
Some of the materials discovered lead us to believe there was a near Sol event sometime in recent stellar history.

Red or Yellow zone for sometime to come from natural hazards. Unless Marc says the star stabilized into a white dwarf. Also, if its an unstable star, these events aren't happening over the period of a few years.
TAS LISH2836