Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old September 15th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default 5000 ton Destroyer WIP, Blender, advice needed

Okay so after some trial and error i have a decent looking model
I figured out how to apply basic textures..yayyyy tutorials...

Now when I view it in Object mode after applaying a basic texture this is what I see.

But when I render this is what I get

any ideas..I think I used mirror too many times and it's created wayyyy to many overlapping faces, edges etc....but not sure if thats the case.

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Baron

Gallery : 44
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen

Sorry, no advice, but (1) I like the ship and (2) the render reminds me of the WWI painted ships - they used abstract designs to somewhat distort the view and make it more difficult to target. Or was it WWII? Not sure if that applies in the far future.
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:48 AM

Glad you liked it...

They used "DazzleFlauge" in both WWI and WWII, it was very popular with navies.

The idea was to make it hard for anyone using a visual rangefinder to get an accurate range for enemy gunners.

I didn't expect it to go right, I have only been working with bender for a couple of days so far. I was happy to get a structure that looked good

Old January 4th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Marquis

CliffBates Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to CliffBates

I have no graphic skills...

But on this Destroyer... given it is a needle shape which is great... I would tighten up the back drives some to tighten up the profile.
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 28
navanod Citizen
Default UV maps are the most likely issue.

Not a blender guy, but it looks like the model doesn't have any UV maps. UV maps tell the software how to apply the textures. There should be plenty of tuts on setting them up.
Old May 13th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

HRLMT Citizen
Lightbulb Object mode to Render mode?

Is there any way you can make the object mode your Rendered image? It would appear as though the object mode image is "getting lost" during the rendering process. I am guessing that you want the object mode to be one of your several steps to completing this project, and you do not want the rendered image in the modeling process.
FYI - In the "old days" of computing when you created a graphic and / or desktop publishing document, many times the final results looked great, but you printed it out, you got a big surprise. Later on, what you put on the screen is what you got when you printed it out. This was called - What You See Is What You Get or W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. for short. It was pronounced Wizzy - wig. That ends the computer history speech.
I'm not familiar with blender and it's learning curve as I use Omnigraffle for my graphic arts needs. Continue looking at the tutorials, they can help. You also might want to go to Blender's website and go to their Support section. You should be able to find more manuals there. Lastly, check out You tube for any video tutorials.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished ship!
Old May 13th, 2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRLMT View Post
Is there any way you can make the object mode your Rendered image? It would appear as though the object mode image is "getting lost" during the rendering process. I am guessing that you want the object mode to be one of your several steps to completing this project, and you do not want the rendered image in the modeling process.
FYI - In the "old days" of computing when you created a graphic and / or desktop publishing document, many times the final results looked great, but you printed it out, you got a big surprise. Later on, what you put on the screen is what you got when you printed it out. This was called - What You See Is What You Get or W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. for short. It was pronounced Wizzy - wig. That ends the computer history speech.
I'm not familiar with blender and it's learning curve as I use Omnigraffle for my graphic arts needs. Continue looking at the tutorials, they can help. You also might want to go to Blender's website and go to their Support section. You should be able to find more manuals there. Lastly, check out You tube for any video tutorials.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished ship!
thanks for the suggestions..

I figured out what the problem was...I had accidently duplicated the object over itself at some point... I'll look up those programs for future use...I can always use a few more tools in the toolbox.