Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old July 31st, 2015, 08:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 29
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++
Default A universal monetary unit

While the Imperial Credit has always been the "gold standard" for Traveller, I have always had some difficulty with it being the sole currency or even one that is easily transported between worlds, particularly ones outside the Imperium.

So, what I came up with as a "universal" form of money was something akin to the Krugerrand as an alternative. This I've dubbed a "Sliver." It is a small silver metal bar of extremely durable non-magnetic metal that is generally stamped with its origin, and other pertinent data showing what it is. The bar itself is worthless except for a microgram of a super-heavy long lived isotope called "Oganessium" (element 126 - 321) that can only be found near neutron stars and pulsars. Even then this element exists in only small quantities.
Because of its rarity and the difficulty in obtaining it (it costs more to make in a particle accelerator etc., than it is worth so collection is the only real method it is gotten by) and it's general uselessness for any other purpose it became the choice for a universal currency.
It's presence can be verified by testing easily even when present in minute amounts. Hence, a Sliver is very valuable and also relatively easily tested to determine if it is the "real thing." It is nearly impossible to counterfeit one as well (although this is tried regularly).

Comments?

Last edited by robject; March 8th, 2016 at 09:58 AM..

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.