Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default Trade Stations, Scout Posts, Beacons, and Bazaars - the Class E Starport Startown

Trade Stations, Scout Posts, Beacons, and Bazaars - the Class E Starport Startown

Farmboy: ...But I was going into Tasche Station to pick up some power converters!
Older Man: You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done.

A worn speck of rock in the back end of space?
Or an opportunity for adventure!

This is a rough sketch of what a Startown could look like around a Class E Starport.

Trade Station:
- General Store and Supply - High Tech Merchandise
- Hardware
- Small Arms
- Cattle and Butcher store
- Clinic and Pharmacy

Scout Post:
- X-Mail Center
- Comm Tower
- Information Access Terminals
- Translation Service
- Assay Office
- Currency Exchange
- Observatory

Beacon:
- Navigational Marker
- Stationary Searchlight
- Flags and Windsock
- Power House

Bazaar:
- Fresh Off-World Produce
- Bakery
- Other Goods

Next to the Startown would be some scorched earth Landing "Pads". There could be an Air/raft vendor, maybe some kind of entertainment center, a Diner cooking hot food for the locals to try, air/raft rides, a bar or saloon, and possibly even a hotel.

Outside the Startown, written in the native language, it says: "Welcome to Star City!"

Pretty similar to an Old West town when a Starport pops up in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; September 27th, 2014 at 04:44 PM..
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
RandyB Citizen

Nice! It captures the frontier tone that a lot of people feel is missing from Traveller.
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Trade Stations, Scout Posts, Beacons, and Bazaars - the Class E Starport Startown

Farmboy: ...But I was going into Tasche Station to pick up some power converters!
Older Man: You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done.

A worn speck of rock in the back end of space?
Or an opportunity for adventure!

This is a rough sketch of what a Startown could look like around a Class E Starport.

Trade Station:
- General Store and Supply - High Tech Merchandise
- Hardware
- Small Arms
- Cattle and Butcher store
- Clinic and Pharmacy

Scout Post:
- X-Mail Center
- Comm Tower
- Information Access Terminals
- Translation Service
- Assay Office
- Currency Exchange
- Observatory

Beacon:
- Navigational Marker
- Stationary Searchlight
- Flags and Windsock
- Power House

Bazaar:
- Bakery
- Other Goods

Next to the Startown would be some scorched earth Landing "Pads". There could be an Air/raft vendor, maybe some kind of entertainment center, a Diner cooking hot food for the locals to try, air/raft rides, a bar or saloon, and possibly even a hotel.

Outside the Startown, written in the native language, it says: "Welcome to Star City!"

Pretty similar to an Old West town when a Starport pops up in the middle of nowhere.
Actually, this sounds more like a Class D star port than a Class E.

From Starter Traveller:
Quote:
D Poor quality installation. Only unrefined fuel available. No repair or shipyard facilities present. Scout base may be present.

E Frontier Installation. Essentially a marked spot of bedrock with no fuel, facilities, or bases present.
Quote:
Bazaar:
- Bakery
- Other Goods
Not sure if you meant "Off-World" produce or local world produce. Off-World produce is more likely to first go through some form of quarantine and/or inspection prior to being allowed off of the ship, and then is much more likely to immediately be snapped up by a local food broker for resale to the upper class of the planet. I go with the idea that Star Port type does not necessarily reflect the size of the world population and government type.

As for "Other Goods", those would include local handcrafts and artwork, possibly some locally made textiles and furs, along with your planetary visit nicknacks.

Quote:
Next to the Startown would be some scorched earth Landing "Pads".
Scorched Earth? Are we thinking reaction drives here? And the Landing Pads are going to have to be fairly substantial, unless bedrock is close to the surface, as your starships are going to weigh several hundred to thousands of tons (even in a Small-Ship Universe), and are going to need something reasonably firm to rest on.

Is this an invitation to post some of our own thoughts and ideas on the subject?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 27th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I concur that that sounds like a thriving D port to me, not so much a C-port.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit Ackehece's Blog
Ackehece Citizen+Ackehece Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Ackehece

Could very well be a Class E In Traveller 5 (Main World frontier starport) (Pg. 306)
A Class D would have unrefined fuel and some limited repair facilities (Main World poor starport)
A Class F would in trav 5 would be significantly better than a E class port but an E would indicate a Main World and thus some established trade and trading area.
A Class F would be equivalent to a class D but on a non-mainworld with lower pop and trade opportunities.

Sounds like a cool town anyway for a good RP event, long term adventure. I would bet the booze is strong, and swaining and wenching going on around the port with the crews that do land would be intense.

Deacon Wil Alberich
Count Fenris
SolRim 1830 Fenris AA98969-E
1st Sea Lord Roderick Wystan
Knight Defender of Qevar
Deneb 0731 Qevar A4326AE-E
Anything I post here related to Traveller is open to reuse by and for Traveller,
FFE and others who deal with Traveller Universe
with no expectation of remuneration or even credit (though some credit would be nice)
Duke of Inarli
Duke of the Third Imperium
Corr 2137 Inarli B677989-C

Old September 27th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
In the Old West did towns spring up around railway stops, or did they primarily put the stops at existing towns, or was it some combination of the two?

The you've given includes no refueling of any sort, so that fits within the general description of an E and not a D class facility.

When the descriptor for a D says "Poor Quality Installation", what level of quality are they referring to? A typical TL12 interstallar-graded facility? Of doe they mean anything to do with any sort of spaceborne capability?

What about "No repair or shipyard facilities present"? The shipyard bit is a little more straightforward, but what about repair? Does that mean jump plate/grid technicians and services available, or someone who can do a bit of welding on a landing strut or fix the hydrolic lines on an airelon? Or does it mean any sort of repair for any type of airborne conveyance whatsoever?
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Visit Ackehece's Blog
Ackehece Citizen+Ackehece Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Ackehece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
In the Old West did towns spring up around railway stops, or did they primarily put the stops at existing towns, or was it some combination of the two?
historically a combination of the two.

But in this case: I would think that the spacers would put down as near the population centre as they can.
Rather than the people moving to where they land. After all it is just a blasted piece of rock (or lake).
You would want to land near your markets.
Since in T5 it would be a main world it would probably be as near as safely possible to the largest population centre.

Deacon Wil Alberich
Count Fenris
SolRim 1830 Fenris AA98969-E
1st Sea Lord Roderick Wystan
Knight Defender of Qevar
Deneb 0731 Qevar A4326AE-E
Anything I post here related to Traveller is open to reuse by and for Traveller,
FFE and others who deal with Traveller Universe
with no expectation of remuneration or even credit (though some credit would be nice)
Duke of Inarli
Duke of the Third Imperium
Corr 2137 Inarli B677989-C

Old September 27th, 2014, 08:10 PM

wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++

When I read No facilities, no fuel, tend to think that the description is only referring to services direct toward starship maintenance and support...not local business and trade.
while the starport itself may have no facilities for repairing, fueling, or directing starships. the local population has to have some way of getting cargo to and from various points on the planet.

the need to handle tons of cargo at a time means you would likely have at least.
1)Warehouses for cargo
2) some means of distributing cargo to it's final destination,wagons, trucks, aircraft, railways
3)people employed by the locals to handle cargo.
4) some form of lodging for employees.
5) housing and, or, transport for arriving/departing passengers.

Anywhere there are people living, and working, there needs to be some sort of store, restaurant, hotel/housing. So it's not a stretch to say that even a type E star port would have at least a small town. The local town might have a population of perhaps no more than a hundred or so people withing a short distance from the star port, but it would be there.
. Also Starship crews, passengers,and the ground support folks, have money, and money draws people wanting to get there hands on it. In addition to the local peddlers, shopkeepers, and such...

The specifics of what sort of shops, businesses, and housing in the area mayis up to the person creating the world. But, it's logical to assume there is more there than a pad, and a sign that says 'Welcome to B'Eff'ee, Population: you fellas..." Although I also have to imagine there are more than one or two of those sorts of places around.

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Is this an invitation to post some of our own thoughts and ideas on the subject?
Yes, absolutely.

Also, it's not a Starport, it's the Startown next to the Starport. The Beacon is really the only part of the Starport. No repair facilities and no fuel.

I didn't intend the Scout Post to be a full Base. Mostly an information distribution center. An Imperium propaganda site type of thing, but also to help the locals with crops and such. The X-Mail Center being only a local telegraph office. The Assay Office and Currency Exchange might go better with the Trade Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyrd View Post
and a sign that says 'Welcome to B'Eff'ee, Population: you fellas...'
Nice!
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:01 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackehece View Post
Since in T5 it would be a main world it would probably be as near as safely possible to the largest population centre.
Why as near as possible to the largest population center? Depending on the government type and culture, the policy of the world may be to minimize any contact with outworlders by the general populace, and carefully restrict what can and cannot be traded, along with severely restricting the movements of any offworlder. I can easily see, in that case, the space port being sited on a island, with the local population carefully screened for loyalty to the local policies. In short, you land, off-load cargo, pick up cargo, replenish any needed stores (mainly food and oxygen), take on fuel, and leave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.