Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:43 PM
flykiller's Avatar
flykiller flykiller is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: desert
Posts: 5,905
Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+
Default

Quote:
the usual double-field-pay for the duration and maybe another commendation in your file
Lora chuckles at this.

Quote:
... must turn you over to James if you decide to help.
She sits thinking a very long moment, then reaches inside a pocket and pulls out a card. It's the captain's designation for the Ratte. She slaps it on the Commandant's desk.

"No. This is absurd. I am retired and this is uncalled-for. You threaten me with an accusation of treason! This abuse was supposed to end when I left the service but it continues even now. This makes me angry. No. I refuse. Take back your ship. I have had more than enough. I will find my own way."

While saying this she motions to James in a manner she hopes is not observable to devices in the usual locations, giving a thumbs-up "yes" sign and pointing to herself and him, making a talking motion with her hand.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:42 AM
SpaceBadger SpaceBadger is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,361
Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
She sits thinking a very long moment, then reaches inside a pocket and pulls out a card. It's the captain's designation for the Ratte. She slaps it on the Commandant's desk.

"No. This is absurd. I am retired and this is uncalled-for. You threaten me with an accusation of treason! This abuse was supposed to end when I left the service but it continues even now. This makes me angry. No. I refuse. Take back your ship. I have had more than enough. I will find my own way."
The Commandant leaps to her feet, looking down at Lora over her desk. "I ask that you please reconsider. I expressly did NOT threaten you with treason; was simply remarking that would be the situation in wartime. You know this is part of the deal when the Service allows you to take a detached duty ship; if you are in a position to help the Service you are expected to do so, and even get paid for doing so."

"If it helps, I will add my personal request. We have two Scouts missing who were working undercover, trying to get inside the local anti-Imperial groups using standard cultural study and contact methods. They thought it might be a better approach than whatever it is that spies traditionally do; I'm sure they have those in place as well, but apparently we don't Need to Know."

"But those are two Scouts who were under MY administration, and I asked them to take these missions, and now they are missing. That's on ME, and I am asking you to PLEASE help ME get them back safe, or at least find out what happened to them. Really not much different from Scouts disappearing during any sort of covert contact; if it were you wouldn't you want someone to come looking to see what happened?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
While saying this she motions to James in a manner she hopes is not observable to devices in the usual locations, giving a thumbs-up "yes" sign and pointing to herself and him, making a talking motion with her hand.
[I'm assuming out of sight of the Commandant, as her experience in contact missions has certainly included training in figuring out different sign systems.]

James looks from Lora to the Commandant and back again, giving a tentative "OK" sign while also a "???" indicating he doesn't understand current line of discussion.

[Would it be possible/difficult/easy for Lora to send him some kind of psi message more specific than the hand/facial signals?]

[Does the Scout Service know that Lora is a psi? If so I'm sure it is buried under lots of Secret, Need to Know protection, so the Commandant would not have it. But is it in there somewhere?]
__________________
--
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM
flykiller's Avatar
flykiller flykiller is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: desert
Posts: 5,905
Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+
Default

["Does the Scout Service know that Lora is a psi?" that will be more of a YTU question, but from where she started, no. on her first mission she was thrown into prison on suspicion of being a witch, and there is a formal third-party note-of-observation in her record from her first tour, but nothing since then.]

["to send him some kind of psi message" yes, but she would not. at least not yet.]

Quote:
if it were you wouldn't you want someone to come looking to see what happened?
Lora had been about to say something but somehow that last statement really sets her off. She leaps up, her seat falling over behind her, right into the Commandant's face, blue eyes wide, blonde pony tail dancing. She's only 5'6" but she is almost in a combat stance. "Two! I have seen six hundred," she seems to stagger over her word here, "lost and no-one came to look! Ever! Your problems are not mine and I will have no part of it!"

It's a bit awkward but she's making two signs to James. "Attack" and "me".
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:38 AM
SpaceBadger SpaceBadger is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,361
Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
Lora had been about to say something but somehow that last statement really sets her off. She leaps up, her seat falling over behind her, right into the Commandant's face, blue eyes wide, blonde pony tail dancing. She's only 5'6" but she is almost in a combat stance. "Two! I have seen six hundred," she seems to stagger over her word here, "lost and no-one came to look! Ever! Your problems are not mine and I will have no part of it!"
The Commandant's face goes ice cold. "Very well then. I certainly never expected this would be necessary, but since you insist on your indifference to a legitimate call to active duty, I suggest you begin removing your personal items from the detached duty ship assigned to you and find yourself some other lodgings away from this WayStation. I will have one of our clerks prepare the documents to relieve you of this obligation and you can just be another retired Scout, independent and free as you wish."

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
It's a bit awkward but she's making two signs to James. "Attack" and "me".
He still looks rather puzzled, but rises to his feet and seizes Lora's arm. "Senior, do you wish her restrained? Shall I call in the guards?"
__________________
--
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:49 PM
flykiller's Avatar
flykiller flykiller is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: desert
Posts: 5,905
Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+
Default

Lora says nothing but glares at the commandant. She starts slightly when James takes hold of her arm.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:13 PM
SpaceBadger SpaceBadger is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,361
Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default

[Dunno about James and the Commandant, but I am confused as heck.

She signaled him "Attack" + "Me" without any pre-plan in place; does she expect him to just slug her?

And as far as metagame goes, Lora is here to play a Traveller adventure, right? Is there something in her character that I don't know about that makes her so resistant to getting an assignment and starting the adventure part?]
__________________
--
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:09 PM
flykiller's Avatar
flykiller flykiller is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: desert
Posts: 5,905
Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+
Default

[(laugh) I see. so far lora has heard that this base's comm net is subverted, that its security office may have been infiltrated, that the commandant has sent - presumably from this very office - two "undercover" operatives who have since disappeared, and that "anti-imperial forces", meaning zho's, may be involved. the commandant has now called in a THIRD candidate, an out-of-the-blue "hot-shot" arrival whose name and updated files and visit to the commandant have been blabbed all over flight control, in an attempt to launch a THIRD undercover op. lora is trying to give herself that cover, an out-of-control badly disaffected full-of-herself imperial whose knowledge and experience may be of interest to "anti-imperial forces".]

[to lora, so far the commandant is what she appears - a superior administrator and leader who has no proficiency in undercover ops work. but as yet she has no idea where james stands. using ct book 3 rules, while he is hanging onto her arm she will do a "detect life" scan. if he is a telepath she will get nothing and he won't know that she has done so.]
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:26 AM
SpaceBadger SpaceBadger is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,361
Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default

[A few clarifications: nothing indicates the WayStation's comms are subverted. If you mean her comment about Tavr'chedl and possibly others listening, that was a joking reference to the fact that those other agencies all probably have better spy tech than the Scouts have anti-spy tech, and always will; not that they are necessarily listening, but that if they wanted to, there isn't much to do about it. Also, I don't know where you got the idea that Lora's personnel file was "blabbed" over Traffic Control? I re-read everything and don't see any suggestion of that.]

[Otherwise, I suppose those are legit conclusions, so if you want to go ahead with this approach to getting Lora involved... carry on.]

[As for James, Lora does not receive any impression that he is a psi, however that would work. As noted in Char-Gen, psi is extremely rare IMTU, included only because it is necessary for standard Zho, and in this particular game because you requested it for Lora.]

The Commandant crosses her arms and fixes Lora with a contemptuous glare. "No, Scout, I don't believe that will be necessary. However, please escort ex-Scout Lei back to the ship that was formerly detached to her use, and supervise her removal of all personal items. By the time you're finished with that, I should have the admin finished to change the access codes and have the ship ready for re-assignment to someone more worthy. You can go now, both of you."

James releases Lora's arm and moves toward the door, which slides open. Gesturing for Lora to precede him; "After you, ma'am."
__________________
--
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:36 PM
flykiller's Avatar
flykiller flykiller is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: desert
Posts: 5,905
Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+
Default

Lora glares at everyone in the room and along the way, but goes without incident.

Aboard the Ratte she relaxes considerably as she goes about packing up her gear [though if the ship has any internal surveillance systems she disables them]. She initiates a scan of James' surface thoughts, then speaks. "Now that we are in a location certainly free of local listening devices we may speak. So. You have personnel missing. I will of course assist. What is it that you have in mind?" In the scan she is looking for any thought of, "What does this idiot think she's doing" or "Oh good she will help us after all", which would be normal, at which time she will cease. But if there is any thought of, "Oh good, another target" or something similar she will continue scanning.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:47 AM
SpaceBadger SpaceBadger is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,361
Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default

[Is the ship the Ratte or Ratte II?]

Lora and James have no problems getting back to ship.

His surface thoughts skitter around from "What the Zeg was that all about?" to "She is nice looking; but her apparent age does not match the file info; but biometric scan confirmed ID; could our biometric data in the file be subverted? No, I don't think so, but should check w tech people" to "There's the ship. Reminds me of that old Maus... [more sensory images than coherent thoughts]."

Once inside, while watching her pack her things, he is again thinking about her appearance and incongruity with age as reported.

When she finally speaks, his thought is essentially, "Ah-ha, now we're getting somewhere" and hopes for getting help to his agents, along with a very-high-speed skim of the current situation.

Speaking aloud, "Ah, that's a relief. Although it may provide complications if assistance is needed from the Commandant, or if you need use of a ship. Nevertheless, I am happy to have your help. I would like your thoughts on best approach after you review the files, but the initial stage of locating them seems to boil down to either working a trail of suspects from the outside, pulling them in and questioning them; or going undercover and trying to find them from the inside. As to the latter, we'd need to work out some cover story ... What are you thinking so far?"
__________________
--
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Efate/Regina - what is known? autochthonic The Lone Star 22 June 20th, 2016 11:38 AM
SoloTrav: Pendragonman: Free Trader Bridget SpaceBadger Space Badger's Reaver's Deep 70 August 12th, 2014 02:53 AM
SoloTrav: Rooster Cogburn: Free Trader SpaceBadger Space Badger's Reaver's Deep 0 August 5th, 2014 05:27 PM
Paging Flykiller Star The Lone Star 1 February 17th, 2007 05:54 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010-2013 Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.