Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

OK, how about a TL 12 Maus? I figure since it is your design, it must be the way you would prefer a Type S to be laid out, right?

Landing a ship with no hazardous conditions is usually an easy task, requiring a roll of 4+. You added some difficulty w the atmo-braking, so you'd need 6+. Considering Lora's skill of 3, that means as long as you don't roll snake-eyes you have a successful landing (although the lower the roll, might mean a bit more exciting). Even if you roll 2, you'll get another roll to correct the error, although that one is harder at 8+.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old August 10th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

[very well. it's name is Ratte II.]

"Seat belts on ladies."

As the world looms Lora dials down the internal g-comp to feel the Ratte's response. She swings into an approach angle and drops the fantail to feel the atmo and the world's gravity affect the ship's vector, making sure that initially she is off the approach so that if something goes wrong she can miss the base. She would prefer eyes-only but for now she watches the nav insturments and the HUD to get a feel for how the equipment sees what she sees.

(2d6)[6]
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:06 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

After an exciting but well-controlled trip blazing through the upper atmosphere and then down into clouds, complete with squeals of delight from the passengers (much better than calls for airsick bags!), the Ratte II emerges into clear skies with velocity reduced to aircraft travel speeds.

Due to Lora's prudent planning to avoid coming down directly at the Starport at high velocity, the ship is flying south over open ocean, with about a one hour trip to Franklin Down Starport, which is located near the equator on one of the major landmasses.

Efate (SM 1705) A646930-D is one of the highest population systems in the Spinward Marches (system Pop 8 billion) and is quite well-developed, with a Class A Starport, Naval Base and Scout Way Station, and above-average Tech Level of 14. The official planetary government of the mainworld is a self-perpetuating oligarchy known as the Central Committee, but there is political unrest and rebellion verging on civil war on some parts of the planet, and it is rumored that TAS may soon declare the world an Amber Zone. Some settlements in other parts of the system have already declared themselves independent, but have not been recognized as such by the Imperium.

The Law Level of zero reflects the overall disruption of planetary law enforcement. Most cities will have at least some well-controlled portions enforcing Law Levels of 4, as will the Efate Highport and most other space stations. However, there are large portions of the planet and system that are out of government control, where police will not venture in less than a full squad with combat armor.

[Many thanks to the uncredited authors of a TML Landgrab on Efate for the above planetary map and additional details! ]
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

[As a very experienced Scout in the Spinward Marches, Lora would be familiar with Efate, and may have visited here previously,

Would you prefer:
a) familiar from stories/data but has not visited before;
b) has visited once or twice at the Starport
c) has visited many times, and has seen other parts besides the Starport

I can slant the adventure for any of these, so it is up to you.]

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM

[she was active for twelve years, then spent twelve years off-grid, then her last four as an instructor. let's say visited a few times.]

"Ladies we have about an hour so feel free to prepare to depart. Beverly please leave the bridge hatch open and open engineering for me so I can better hear the drives as I land."

On receiving landing berth coordinates she vectors in. She torsion's the maneuver drive field under the Ratte and flares to a stop over the berth, watching the drive guages as they drift slowly from green to yellow and listening to the rising pitch from engineering, then gently settles the boat down and cuts drive power. She sets the power plant to minimal consumption, and links comms to the local net.

She takes a moment to close her eyes and relax. "Waystation Efate. Ratte berthed. Is crew available to hook up umbilicals or am I to hook up myself?"

She helps the Cleary's find transport off the station and to their destination. "I have no idea why they want me. Perhaps I owe someone money. Or perhaps it is old boyfriend. Or perhaps it is old boyfriend to whom I owe money. We shall see."
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:07 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default Ratte II, IISS Waystation, Franklin Down Starport, Efate (275-1106)

[One thing I wasn't completely clear on your wonderful landing sequence, Lora would have come to a stop on an exterior landing pad, then gotten her berth assignment (berths are enclosed hangar space with roof, hookups, some winches and such to assist with repairs) , then hover over on M-drive ground-effect into the berth. No problem, we can interpret that from what you wrote, just wanted to be clear so we don't have misunderstanding later.]

[After Lora gets a Library Data update for Efate (Cr10 by comm from Traffic Control), you can reference the Efate TML Landgrab as additional Library Data for current political situation, etc. (Please don't read the Trivia link, as I may want to use some of that.)]

"Traffic Control to Ratte II, we'll send ground crew right over; do you want to do refueling and waste removal now, or just basic power hookup?"

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 11th, 2014 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: re-reading your landing sequence; datestamp
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM

[noted, will rewrite later.]

"Full service please. You never know what will be happening five minutes from now. And also may I ask who ..." It suddenly occurs to her that she has no idea of the name or authority of the desk pilot who was speaking to her earlier. She calls up the comm logs. "... who is vilnivishiili223 and where is her seat? I believe she has some information she is dying to share with me and everyone else."

Last edited by flykiller; August 13th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: deleted obsolete line
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

"Ah, that would be the Waystation Commandant. If she has something urgent to pass on to you, perhaps you should leave your hookups for later and go see her about it."

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:19 PM

She smiles. "The Commandant. It would be improper to keep her waiting." Lora has been here enough that she should know where the office will be.

She swings by her stateroom. "What to wear." Full dress uniform? Pbbbbt. Formal civilian? Maybe at one time, on Strouden, with her family .... Casual civilian? Well .... Casual duty? Flight suit? If the Commandant is a desk pilot she will feel intentionally slighted, but if she is a pilot herself then there may be some comraderie ....

Flight suit. Not brand new but slightly used, professional. Decorations ... ? No. Leave her guessing, besides it would lead to questions .... Service strips, yes definitely. Seven hashes, not a new bunny no not at all.

Not at all.

The power plant is at minimum output, barely audible, but the sound looms loudly in her mind ....

She takes a breath, looks around at the well-lit ship - every single light is on - and smiles. Off she goes.

[Is this port enclosed or will she need breathing mask even here?]
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default IISS Waystation, Franklin Down Starport, Efate (local 0945, 275-1106)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
[Is this port enclosed or will she need breathing mask even here?]
[As with some other "tainted" atmos, the taint on Efate is not a particulate or pollutant, but simply a low partial pressure of oxygen in an atmo that is already at Thin pressure compared to what most Humans consider normal. The breath-masks required here are not actually filters but concentrators, concentrating the oxygen from the atmo and supplying this to the wearer to supplement atmospheric oxygen.]

[The whole port is not enclosed, that would be an enormous dome for a port this size. Hadn't thought about it but I expect that once you've closed your berth you can have standard atmo pumped in; otherwise why bother enclosing it? Then if you have individual standard-atmo facilities, probably most convenient to connect to those nearby via tunnel or passage. Don't actually need airlocks, due to the nature of the taint.]

[I would say that all of the WayStation facilities are probably connected by tunnels or passages. Then you'd want an enclosed vehicle or breath-mask to get over to the civilian port facilities or the ground component of the Naval Base.]

Lora can see from the connection diagram at the exit from her berth that she has been assigned a priority slot, barely a quarter-klick from the WayStation Admin office structure. It doesn't take long to walk. A flight of stairs back up to ground level, and after biometric ID verification she is quickly shown to the Commandant's office.

Spartan IISS furnishings have been personalized with mementos and holo blocks from a life in the field before moving to the Admin side. One thing decent Scout offices always have is plenty of shelf space; it is well known that these little bits of personalization can make the difference between many years of useful service, versus quick burnout from cycling through too many different worlds in one lifetime, in offices that all look the same.

The Commandant is studying something in the holo field over her desk when Lora is brought in; she absentmindedly waves Lora to a chair while her flicking fingers suggest a speed-reading of a large quantity of data, not visible from Lora's side of the desk. The Scout that brought Lora to the office asks if she'd like any refreshment; the other Scout seated in a chair just like Lora's politely asks for a refill on his drink.

In a few minutes the Commandant is finished, and as her assistant (the Scouts don't really have ranks or "subordinates", only Scouts of different degrees of known abilities and talents assigned to jobs where they can most benefit the Service at any particular time) closes the doors on his way out. The Commandant flicks on a privacy device on her desktop, flicks a few settings until it is showing all Green.

"There," she smiles. "That should at least prevent any local groups I'm aware of from listening in or imaging us. That leaves only the Duke's Intel people, Imperial Naval Intelligence, the Imperial Army, and possibly the Zhodani Tavr'chedl listening in. That gives us a little leeway for you to disappear if you should choose to go undercover, while they all decide which, if any, local interests they care to leak it to."

"Senior Scout Lora Lei, meet Scout James Rao. My name is Senior Scout Shihiko Vilnivishiili, and I am assigned as Commandant of this WayStation. Lora, James is the head of our local Intelligence and Security Office, an office that doesn't even exist at many Scout Bases and didn't exist here until we realized we needed it about fifty years ago when Efate's internal politics started on another heating trend in their perpetual hot/old cycles. It was found then that some of the Xboat interstellar communication net was being, ah, subverted and penetrated in this local area, and the office began as a detachment of postal inspectors, and remains a mix of CID and other investigative personnel with S-3 Security Troops."

"James, Lora is here apparently by chance, a retired Senior Scout with a detached duty Maus making her subject to recall, here in Efate on personal business, and the system flagged her as potentially filling a need for the Service when she exited Jump in-system, due apparently to some CID experience of which I am not cleared to know the details."

"Lora, I'm afraid this is one of those messed-up situations we occasionally encounter where the Need to Know is so tight that I can't tell you a whole lot of detail until you have already agreed to help us. I can say that this potentially involves anti-Imperial elements among the local political mess, that we believe an outside Scout with CID experience will be valuable because James is concerned that his own office may have been penetrated, and that the lives of at least two Scouts may be in danger. The carrot is the usual double-field-pay for the duration and maybe another commendation in your file; the stick is the usual threat: they take back your detached duty Type S if you decline to return to active duty for a 'brief but unspecified' period of time. If we were formally at war there could also be a charge of Treason, but fortunately that isn't on the table here yet."

"You can have up to ten minutes to think it over, including any questions you choose to ask, then I have other matters to deal with and must turn you over to James if you decide to help."

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 13th, 2014 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: typos, misspelling