Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default Using CotI Die-Roller for T5 Char-Gen

Magnus expressed some appreciation of the technique I used for rolling up a T5 character using the CotI online die-roller. I'm too sick to do much anything useful out of bed this afternoon, and need some distraction from discomfort, so figured I would try to spell out the procedure and then do a full example by trying another re-roll of my Permatic Imperium character Frank Masuda.

A couple of pre-comments:

1) Although there are general principles (Enlistment, Risk, Reward, Promotion, Commission, Skills, Continuation/Re-enlistment) that are common across most of the T5 careers, each adds some different twists, so you will need to adapt to that. For example, in the two careers that I will be using, Scout and Agent, neither one has ranks to both Promotion and Commission do not appear. Since most careers (esp military) do have these, I will include them in my templates, but they won't show in my examples.

2) After you make each post and the dice results are shown, you need to go back and edit the post to interpret the die rolls into career results, sometimes adding DMs. You could include the DMs before submitting the roll for results, but if it is mandatory with no choice, why bother?

3) Which brings me to rolls where you, the player, may have some choices as to how much DM to apply, or which table to roll on, before making the roll. In these cases, I believe it is only fair to specify those decisions before submitting the post for die results, just as you would have to decide before rolling in face-to-face character generation. See my mustering out rolls for examples.

4) Ah, then come the skill rolls. If you were doing it face-to-face, you'd choose a column for which your character is eligible, roll a d6, note the result, then choose your next column. In this format, with some careers generating 6, 7, or 8 skill per term, that would take a LOT of individual posts, one for each skill. What I did on my previous version of Frank was just roll the skills with dice. If you are wanting (or your GM wants) to do as much as possible rolling online, you could roll the number of d6s for the table row of the skill, and then choose which column to apply that to, to give some of the benefit that you would have in face-to-face of choosing each column before rolling.

5) Almost forgot, although this actually comes first, is generating characteristics (stats). In T5 these have been renamed as C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6. For Human or mostly Human characters, these will be Str, Dex, End, Int, Edu, and Soc. Some hard-ass GMs will make you first roll your Str on 2d6, then roll Dex on 2d6, etc. This most often results in a lot of wasted time as you come up with stats totally unsuitable for the PC you want to play, so dump them and start over. Another method is to roll 6 numbers using 2d6 each, then assign them to stats as you choose. Another method (suggested by Marc Miller in T4) is my preference, simply rolling 12d6 and pushing them around however you want to come up with six stats each composed of 2d6, with stat emphasis as you choose for the PC you want to build.

6) Finally, keep in mind that you cannot re-roll or add any new die rolls to a post after you have submitted it. All die rolls have to be on first posting. The only edits you can make are to add interpretations to the die rolls. There is a whole subsection in FAQs under BBcodes about how to use the CotI die-roller. The two important tags to remember are simple: roll and rollv. Roll does just what you say, roll some dice and give a result. Rollv does the same thing, but also tells you the result of each of the individual dice, which is useful for some things.
Examples:
Didn't work as intended; see next post.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; April 30th, 2014 at 10:23 PM..
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:07 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

First problem I see is in my examples at the end. Either the noparse tag doesn't work the way I thought it would, or something went wonky in the Mod approval process. Let's try that again:

OK, Aramis has kindly explained a way that I think will make this work between the interaction of the die-roller and the anti-cheating provisions, and the way editing works with the die-roller (the noparse tag doesn't work for this).

[roll]3d6[/roll] results in (3d6)[12]
[rollv]3d6[/rollv] results in (3d6)[6][6][6](18)
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; April 30th, 2014 at 10:24 PM..
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:50 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Finally got that all sorted out (how to show you examples of die-rolling without triggering the die-roller to actually convert them to rolled results).

For most folks, the first step in Character Generation is to decide what kind of character you want to play, so you have some idea of the end goal of your efforts. Other folks just like to roll dice and see what they come up with, then play that.

Either way, the next step is Rolling Characteristics (also known as Stats). In T5 these are numbered as C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, and C6. For Humans characters these correspond to Strength (Str), Dexterity (Dex), Endurance (End), Intelligence (Int), Education (Edu), and Social Level (Soc).

Marc Miller (in T4) suggested three different methods of generating Characteristics. You should check with your GM/Referee as to which are allowed for the game in which you will be playing. For any of these methods, keep track of which die is first for each characteristic, if you will be using the T5 Genetics rules.
Method A (Old School) is simply to roll 2d6 for each Characteristic in order, and use those. The downside is that if you wanted to play a physically oriented character and you rolled 3, 3, and 4 for your Str, Dex, and End, you are going to have a hard time getting decent results from character generation.
The die-roller template for Method A is simple:
Str: [roll]2d6[/roll] Dex: [roll]2d6[/roll] End: [roll]2d6[/roll] Int: [roll]2d6[/roll] Edu: [roll]2d6[/roll] Soc: [roll]2d6[/roll]

Method B allows a little more customization, as you roll 2d6 six times, then assign the results to whichever characteristics work best for your goal:
[roll]2d6[/roll] - [roll]2d6[/roll] - [roll]2d6[/roll] - [roll]2d6[/roll] - [roll]2d6[/roll] - [roll]2d6[/roll]

Method C allows even more control, as you simply roll 12d6 and assign them as you choose, ending with 2d6 for each characteristic (note we are using rollv to show us the individual die results):
[rollv]12d6[/rollv] - assign two dice to each of the six characteristics.
Education: The next step is usually pre-career education for your character, such as college, grad school, military academies, etc. I am omitting this step from this tutorial for two reasons: 1) the options are complicated enough that I could not give you simple templates to cover all; and 2) I don't often use them myself, so am not familiar with all of the nuances.

One very simple Education method is Ed5 (p.71). If you have a character with Edu of less than 5, you can roll 2d6 for Int or less, and if successful automatically raise Edu to 5. This takes no time, and there is no penalty for failure.
If Edu<5 and [roll]2d6[/roll]<=Int, then raise Edu to 5

Next: Applying these Templates to a Sample Character

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; April 30th, 2014 at 11:02 PM..
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:12 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Rather than come up with a new sample character from scratch, I am going to have a go at re-rolling my PC for Magnus von Thornwood's "Permatic Imperium" campaign. Frank Masuda v.1 served three terms in Scouts, then three terms as an Agent in the Imperial Scout Service, Ranger Branch. Frank v.1.0 did rather poorly as a Scout, but excelled as a Ranger. Frank v.2.0 didn't even make his first enlistment. Frank v.3.0 excelled as a Scout, but not so well as a Ranger. To give me a more personal interest in creating this tutorial, I am having one more re-roll of Frank, to see if I can get something in between the fiirst and third results.

Francisco Jackson Masuda (v.4.0) Characteristics:

As Magnus has kindly allowed me to use Method C (my preference), I will use this template:
(12d6)[2][3][3][6][2][6][4][2][6][2][3][6](45)

Then, just in case his Edu works out less than 5, here is the Ed5 template:
If Edu<5 and (2d6)[6]<=Int, then raise Edu to 5

=================================
Note: I am going to use NavyBlue text in the remainder of this tutorial to show comments that I have edited in after submitting the post for die-rolling.

First, looking at the 12d6 I rolled for stats, Frank is looking pretty good. Not only does he have four 6s to work with, but his overall total is 45, slightly better than the expected average for 12d6: 42.

Frank needs pretty good scores in his first four stats as those are what will determine his Risk and Reward difficulties in the two careers that I have planned, Scouts and Agents. Good Edu would also be nice, as Scouts can be difficult to enlist, but allow a save against Edu. Soc... eh, I don't care that much about Soc for Frank.

So here will be Frank's stats, chosen from the available numbers above:
Str: 6+3=9
Dex: 6+4=10 (A)
End: 3+6=9
Int: 3+6=9
Edu: 2+2=4
Soc: 2+2=4

And there, that ED5 roll did come in handy, as 6 is less than Frank's 9 Int, so Frank gets a free raise in Edu to 5.

Frank's Current UPP: 9A9954 (after Education, before beginning Careers)
Frank's Birth UPP: 9A9944
Frank's Genetic Profile: 6633X2

==================================

Homeworld: Choose this from any source or list your GM allows, then look up the Trade Classifications. Then go to p.81 in the T5 Rulebook to see what Homeworld Skills you get according to the Trade Classifications.

Here is Frank's Homeworld: Heridis [FS 1128] C 745 744-B S Ag Na Pi Tz 800 Im.
HW Skills: Animals-0 (Knowledge-1), Survey-1, JOT-1, Driver-0 (Knowledge-1)

Next: Career Templates

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Branch & Braket, LIC. :p also, Animals.
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:13 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Not all Career Templates are going to be the same. Different careers have different ways of Beginning. Different careers have different hazards for their Risks, and different benefits for their Rewards. Some careers (esp military) have Ranks, Promotions, and Commissions. Some careers allow you to choose whether to Continue in another term; some require a roll to Continue, and may even require you to Continue. You have to read the specifications for your career carefully before making a template. However, I think it is safe to say that most career templates will require a roll to Begin (if your PC's first term in that career), a roll for Risk, a roll for Reward, awarding of skills, and a roll to Continue.

Note on skills: I mentioned in my first post in this thread the problems with using the die-roller to determine skills in a template like this. For previous versions of Frank Masuda, I have just rolled skills with dice. This time I am going to try an alternative, letting the die-roller roll the row number with dice, then I will choose which column to use on the skill table. We'll see how well that works.

Note on choosing Characteristics for Risk/Reward rolls: Some careers will give you a choice of characteristics to roll against for Risk and Reward. Whichever characteristic you choose to use for Risk in one term, you also use for Reward in that same term. Also, if your PC takes any injury on Risk, the injury is applied to that same characteristic. However, you cannot just keep using your best of the available characteristics on every terms's Risk/Reward. Before you can use that characteristic again, you first have to cycle through all of the other available choices. I use C* below to indicate where you choose a characteristic to roll against.

-------------------------------------------------
Entry Template for Scout Career:

Begin: roll [roll]2d6[/roll] <=6; if failed, roll [roll]2d6[/roll]<=C5(Edu).

(Scouts may avoid Risk and Reward, and only receive 4 skills rather than 8, by choosing Courier duty.)

Risk: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; if failed, injury of Roll-C*, less healing of [roll]1d6[/roll], is applied to C*.

Reward: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; upon success, your PC has made a Discovery!

Skills: Scouts get 8 skills/term:
Rows in Skill Table: [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll]

Continue: roll [roll]2d6[/roll]<=Int

--------------------------------------------
Entry Template for Agent Career:

Begin: roll [roll]2d6[/roll] <=C3(End).

Undercover: Agents roll for one Undercover assignment each Term, then may choose any skill from the Career Role to which they were assigned.
Undercover Role: [roll]1d3[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d3[/roll]

Risk: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; if failed, injury of Roll-C*, less healing of [roll]1d6[/roll], is applied to C*.

Reward: C* roll [roll]2d6[/roll]; upon success, your PC has earned a Commendation of C*-Roll.

Skills: Agents get 2 skills/term; 1 skill for Undercover; 4 skills for success on Reward roll.
2 skills/term: Rows in Skill Table: [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll]
1 Undercover skill: see above Undercover
4 skills if success on Reward: Rows in Skill Table: [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll] - [roll]1d6[/roll]

Continue: roll [roll]2d6[/roll]<=(Str+Terms)

---------------------------------------

Next: Applying Career Templates to Frank Masuda

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; May 1st, 2014 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: fixed extra skill on Agent template
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:25 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Masuda enlists for Scout Career (Term 1):
Frank's Current UPP: 9A9954

Begin: roll (2d6)[6] <=6; if failed, roll (2d6)[7]<=C5(Edu). Frank successfully enlisted as a Scout.

Risk: C2 10 roll (2d6)[4]; if failed, injury of Roll-C2, less healing of (1d6)[5], is applied to C2. Frank easily passed Risk and suffered no injury.

Reward: C2 10 roll (2d6)[10]; upon success, your PC has made a Discovery! Frank just barely succeeded on Reward and made a Discovery.

Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[1] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[1] - (1d6)[5]
Skills chosen (by choosing a column in which to apply each row number rolled):
Vaccsuit-1, Survey +1, Edu +1, Starship (Chose a Skill or Knowledge-1), Survival-1, Sensors-1, OneArt: Actor-1, Vaccsuit +1

Continue: roll (2d6)[3]<=Int Frank quite easily re-enlisted for another Term

Frank's End-of-Term UPP: 9A9964

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Levels.
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:42 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Masuda serves another Term in Scouts (Term 2):
Frank's Current UPP: 9A9964

Risk: C1 9 roll (2d6)[9]; if failed, injury of Roll-C1, less healing of (1d6)[5], is applied to C1. Frank just barely made his Risk, but suffered no injury.

Reward: C1 9 roll (2d6)[8]; Frank easily succeeded on Reward and made a Discovery.

Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[3] - (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[3] - (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[6] - (1d6)[2]
Language: (Choose Language, see Ref), Starship (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Fighter (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Survival +1, Starship (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Fighter (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Starship (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Flyer-0 (Grav-1)

Continue: roll (2d6)[2]<=Int Frank quite easily re-enlisted for another Term

Frank's End-of-Term UPP: 9A9964

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Levels and comments.
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:04 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Masuda serves another Term in Scouts (Term 3):
Frank's Current UPP: 9A9964

Risk: C3 9 roll (2d6)[9]; if failed, injury of Roll-C3, less healing of (1d6)[4], is applied to C3. Another near-thing on Risk, but no injury.

Reward: C3 9 roll (2d6)[7]; upon success, your PC has made a Discovery! Yes, another Discovery for Frank!

Rows in Skill Table: (1d6)[4] - (1d6)[5] - (1d6)[1] - (1d6)[4] - (1d6)[3] - (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[2] - (1d6)[2]
Starship (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Trader-1, Fighter (Choose Skill or Knowledge), Starship (Choose Skill or Knowledge), End +1, Dex +1, Sensors +1, Flyer-0 (Grav +1)

Continue: roll (2d6)[11]<=Int Well, I was going to have to choose right here if I wanted Frank to go another Term in Scouts or switch over to Agents (Ranger). Looks like the IIS office folks made that decision for me; Frank has failed his roll to Continue, and needs to Muster Out of the Scouts and find a new career.

Frank's End-of-Term UPP: 9BA964
--------------------------------------------
Next: Mustering Out

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Level formats, comments
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:41 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Mustering Out is another one of those sections of char-gen that are hard/messy to do with one template to cover the whole thing, because 1) your choices on which column to use for your next roll may depend on your results of your previous roll, and 2) some careers have more than one column to choose from.

I recommend that you make your decisions just as you would if you were sitting and rolling dice at a table, and then put in that many die rolls, check results, think it over, make a new post (can't use die-roller on edits to previous post) with your next round of rolls, until you are finished.

The format you will use looks something like this:

I want to make my first three rolls on the Benefits table, using my full DM+2.FN1, FN2
1st: [roll]1d6[/roll]
2nd: [roll]1d6[/roll]
3rd: [roll]1d6[/roll]

I want to make my next roll on the Cash table, again at DM+2, then I'll see what I have before making any more rolls.
4th: [roll]1d6[/roll]

FN1: Page 75 specifies that most careers get as many rolls as they have Terms served, but also says that military get an extra roll for each MCG or SEH received, and Agents get an extra roll for each Commendation. Also, any character who has achieved Fame of 19+ gets an extra roll.

FN2: Different careers give different DMs to add to Mustering Out rolls. Sometimes, you might not want to use the full DM to which you are entitled; you need to specify this before rolling.

FN3: See page 77 for rules on rolling duplicate benefits, which may be forbidden or may be optional depending on if unwanted or unusable.

-------------------------------

Next: Frank Masuda Musters Out from Scouts

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:53 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Frank Masuda Musters Out from the Scouts
Frank's UPP: 9BA964

Frank's three terms in the Scout Service entitle him to three rolls on Mustering Out table. Alas, his Discoveries count for nothing compared to the MCGs and SEHs of the military, or the Commendations of an Agent, and his Fame for the three Discoveries is only 12 (4 each). He is also allowed a DM up to +3 for his three Terms.

The only thing the Scouts have to offer that Frank really wants is a Type S Scoutship. However, some stat boosts or Life Insurance might also be useful, and he'll wait to roll for money until he finishes his planned career as an Agent.

So I'll take all three of Frank's rolls on the Benefits table, but only using DM+2 because he doesn't care about boosting Soc.

1st: (1d6)[4] +2=6, Int +1
2nd: (1d6)[3] +2=5, End +1
3rd: (1d6)[5] +2=7, YES, it's a SHIPSHARE!!! Frank now has his heart's desire, his own ship (well, probably on detached duty from the ISS), so doesn't really have to worry about any future Mustering Out rolls except for Money.

Frank's UPP after Muster: 9BBA64

-------------------------------------
Next: Frank Enlists as an Agent (ISS Ranger Branch )

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 1st, 2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Formatting + Branch, not Division, Ranger Branch.