Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 20th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Ran Targas Citizen
Question Extended Jumps

I'm trying to create a more Alien style TU with more expansive territories, greater distance between settlements, and cold berthing being the common method of travel. So my question for the forum is "Has anyone recently toyed with having the jump drive limit only how fast you can travel a parsec rather than the max range of a jump?"

For example; my J-1 drive can continuously putter along at 1 parsec/week as long as I have consumables to maintain habitability. After 52 weeks, I've gone 52 parsecs without coming out of jump space. My J-2 drive can cover the same distance in just 26 weeks, as would be expected. But there is no need to refuel every parsec, you'd just keep drifting until the drive turns off or stops working.

Not that this notion isn't fraught for abuse but there could also be significant drawbacks applied such as a) jumps can only be straight lines and b) can only pass through empty squares (i.e. More sensitive to mass), and c) the longer in jump, the more the course drifts, or other rules that would make sense for prolonged interdimensional travel.

Please reply with any ideas for limitations other than what I've listed or odds of having problems if you like.

Last edited by Ran Targas; April 20th, 2014 at 12:28 PM..

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.