Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
[ooc: No deckplans yet. All we know is that she's got an amidships-hold straddling the width, perhaps somewhat aft.]
Who is doing the deckplans? I can't claim any familiarity with the 1889 ship designs, but I do like working on deckplans, and do have spare time on my hands, so if I can help out, please let me know.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:17 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Who is doing the deckplans? I can't claim any familiarity with the 1889 ship designs, but I do like working on deckplans, and do have spare time on my hands, so if I can help out, please let me know.
Frankly, I have serious doubts about my graphic skills in cometer (about zero in any scale) are enough to make them.

My idea about it is the basket of course under the bag, and, if posible, a deck above the bag, accesible by a spiral stairs in the center of the ship, in the middle of which there's a telescoping mast for the rigging (maybe two such stairs if two masts are required).

See that the deck over the bag, while might seem too strange, should not be (IMHO) such rare in S1889, as over the bag must be the mirror and the solar boiler...

As told before, the 6 pdrs should be in balconies, at each side, unaccessible and sealed when in extraatmospheric operations.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Frankly, I have serious doubts about my graphic skills in cometer (about zero in any scale) are enough to make them.

My idea about it is the basket of course under the bag, and, if posible, a deck above the bag, accesible by a spiral stairs in the center of the ship, in the middle of which there's a telescoping mast for the rigging (maybe two such stairs if two masts are required).

See that the deck over the bag, while might seem too strange, should not be (IMHO) such rare in S1889, as over the bag must be the mirror and the solar boiler...

As told before, the 6 pdrs should be in balconies, at each side, unaccessible and sealed when in extraatmospheric operations.
So would you like me to sketch something like that, and then if I am understanding you properly, go ahead and make a deckplan? It will probably take me a day or two, as we are trying to get two years worth of tax returns done right now, plus my wife has decided on some major rearrangements of furniture.

Also, if I am understanding correctly the type of airship (like a Zeppelin, but not called that because it is English/Scottish ), isn't there a rigid structure inside the bag that can also have some useful space, in among the individual gas-bags?

EDIT: References: Zeppelin; Rigid Airship; Ballonet

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
So would you like me to sketch something like that, and then if I am understanding you properly, go ahead and make a deckplan? It will probably take me a day or two, as we are trying to get two years worth of tax returns done right now, plus my wife has decided on some major rearrangements of furniture.
It would be fine for me, and there's no hurry on it...

Quote:
Also, if I am understanding correctly the type of airship (like a Zeppelin, but not called that because it is English/Scottish ), isn't there a rigid structure inside the bag that can also have some useful space, in among the individual gas-bags?
AFAIK airships use to have some spare space among the gas bags, but it's npt seen as usable in hydrogen ones due to the risks it has. On helium airships it is usable (US Akron and US Makon had the engines and even a small hangar for reccon planes inside the superstructure, as they were helium airships and there was no risk of fire).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

There are some guidelines for deck squares in the core book.

The Solar Boiler would be about 90% outside the airbag, I think.

Standard Mapping is 2 yards per square. Clearance is 7.5 feet (2.5 yards)

Control Room is 4±2 squares
Airlock: 1 square
Airlock Foyer 1 square.

Drives have 1 grid square per ton installed, plus one grid square clearance.

Crew Commons: 1 square per crewman/passenger
Staterooms: 1 square per person, usually in 2-square staterooms double occupancy.
Greenhouse/LS: 1 square per person.

Guns: 1 square per ton. Usually an underdeck, but on this one, it's a pair of sponson turrets on the sides.

The Gasbag is 10000cf per ton lifted - or 37 deck squares per ton lifted.

Cargo space, and this is my house rule, is 5 tons per square minimum, 2 tons per square maximum volume.

Labs I've always drawn at squares equal to twice tonnage.
If there's a conservatory, it's 6-8 squares.
A brig is 1 ton and 2 squares, as well.

There should be a single deck for the gondola. There can be 3 decks hidden in the envelope - (1) solar boiler engineering, possibly some greenhouse, (2) Mid-envelope deck, which might hold the gun sponsons and an aft engine room, possibly a nose conservatory or observatory, (3) an "Upper Gondola", which would not have greenhouse, for certain.

Keep in mind that the boiler needs to be able to point to the sun, and the greenhouse needs sunlight as well - but it has lots of small armored portholes, and possibly light guides, rather than big glass windows.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:05 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Thanks for the info. I have skipped that section of the book so far, but will read it now. Will also look at the two airship combat books.

EDIT: We would not be using boiler and sails at same time, would we? Boiler in space, sails in atmosphere? Or else I suppose we would need to take down the upper sails to allow the sun to shine on the boiler.

EDIT2: Are lower masts hinged or stowed in some way so as not to interfere with landing the ship?

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:13 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Guns: 1 square per ton. Usually an underdeck, but on this one, it's a pair of sponson turrets on the sides.
I think I need some clarification here. Personally, since my PC is a gunner, I think I like the sound of "turrets" better than "balconies".

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:56 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

What about a barbette, like on the early Monitor class ships and early dreadnoughts?

(A projecting semicircular platform with a half wall that the gun fires over.)
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:45 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

I dunno, as one of the guys inside the thing, I really like Aramis's suggestion of a sponson turret. Plus I have examples of that type turret I can copy from early WWI tanks that would look pretty cool (example).

But it's McBean's airship, so I'm waiting to see how attached McPerth is to that balcony idea.

EDIT: If a turret, would need firing slits to allow one or two others into turret to fire out with rifles. Otherwise the barbette would be better (barbetter? ).

EDIT 2: Or maybe some armored walls w rifle slits elsewhere onboard?

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
What about a barbette, like on the early Monitor class ships and early dreadnoughts?

(A projecting semicircular platform with a half wall that the gun fires over.)
I'm thinking that...
It's a genuine sponson barbette - but in space, it's probably in vacuum.
It's got 180° of traverse, 30° Elevation, 45° depression. When the gun isn't pointing straight abeam, you have to crouch to get in. It's vacuum tight in the short term, but... When it's operating, it's not airtight - each ship combat turn of action loses a cubic foot of air, and it probably has about 200 cubic feet inside. And it's certainly got a vacuum hatch to the inside of the airship.

Attached is a small graphic to help visualize.

I'm also thinking that the rigging is mostly off the sides - the mainspars dropping the sails, with the yardarms literally hanging. When the rigging stows, the mainspars fold along the body, with the hanging arms lashed to them.

Alternatively, it could be a full rotation turret sticking out the sides of the airship gasbag, but that means the rigging needs to be top mounted... and that's awkwardly imbalanced, given the solar boiler is also top mounted (otherwise, you'd need a platform to board).
Attached Images
File Type: gif sponsonturret.gif (1.5 KB, 1 views)
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.