Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Old January 21st, 2014, 09:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

In order:

Earth 3
Mars 5
Mercury 1 (Sailing appeals)
Mars 6
Venus 2
Mars 4

Actually they all sound good. Where do I sign on?

Character will depend on setting and if we plan on doing multiples over time.

Character 1: Tired of being a carnival cowboy. Longs for lost youth etc.
Character 2: Riverboat Captain tired of all those new regulations on the ______.
Character 3: Tired of the West getting so civilized. Can't ride your horse in town or pack iron anymore.

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:57 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
In order:

Earth 3
Mars 5
Mercury 1 (Sailing appeals)
Mars 6
Venus 2
Mars 4

Actually they all sound good. Where do I sign on?

Character will depend on setting and if we plan on doing multiples over time.

Character 1: Tired of being a carnival cowboy. Longs for lost youth etc.
Character 2: Riverboat Captain tired of all those new regulations on the ______.
Character 3: Tired of the West getting so civilized. Can't ride your horse in town or pack iron anymore.
You just did.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:32 PM

Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
You just did.
I think I just Shanghaied myself...

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
The house rules are mainly for American characters, which the book does not really deal with. As for the rest of the process, that is going to be pretty much by the book. I added the Small Boat Skill under Piloting, as it seemed to be needed. Small boats have to deal with landing in surf, rivers, and enclosed waters, which larger craft avoid.
African Queen? With a sail?

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:31 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
African Queen? With a sail?
Approximately. Who plays Bogie, and where is Kate? And the "African Queen" is presently in Key Largo, Florida.

Side note: That is the one major C. S. Forester book that I have not read.

Seriously, two of the ones I came up with, Mercury and Earth, will need Small Boat Piloting, Venus could use it, while Mars 6 would need it in the Swamps of Gorklimsk. On Earth, it would be a steam launch with a wood-fired boiler, and the same on Mars. Mercury probably sailing. Mechanic or Engineering Skill would be very handy in most of the choices.

For SpaceBadger and his riding, Mars 5 or 6 would be the best, followed by Venus on land using Pacyosaurs.

Jame liked Venus, but needs to look at Mars.

Waiting on the Baron, but a Royal Navy officer would be good, and very helpful on Mars.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:53 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
For SpaceBadger and his riding, Mars 5 or 6 would be the best, followed by Venus on land using Pacyosaurs.
Aww, my PC doesn't have to be a Cavalryman or Cowboy. I'll see what campaign you are going to run, then decide. Probably some kind of soldier. Or maybe a Merchant who has some fighting skills? The only boats I know much about are canoes and rowboats - what skill covers those?

EDIT: In real life I am actually not much of a horseman. Learned to ride as a kid because everyone else did, but my sister was the real horse nut, I was just the big brother who got assigned to clean out the horse barn every spring, and also to go feed the horses when it was dark in the winter. No wonder I am not so fond of them now. I just think those characters might be fun.

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:11 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Saarthuran View Post
I would like to join, if you have room?

Im thinking a royal navy officer?
Quote:
Welcome Aboard. Always nice to have the Royal Navy along.
Hi, Baron. Which of the listed campaigns would you prefer? (Don't forget to consider the three Mars campaigns listed in post #3 of that thread.)

Do RN officers pilot ether-flyers and aerial-flyers in addition to wet navy ships and boats? (I need to look at rules again, I guess.)
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:00 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

I have another Space: 1889 char-gen question. I just noticed the statement at the bottom center of page 12, that general skill points cannot be used to raise Close Combat skill more than 1 above what was earned in careers.

Since Close Combat does not have a default value, the only way to get it is by career or general points. None of the careers that I see grant more than 1 in Close Combat. Thus it would seem that the highest possible level of Close Combat for any character would be 3, requiring two careers both providing this skill, plus expenditure of general skill points (of which the two-career character has only two to spend!).

I have gotten the impression that the skill level scales in this Space: 1889 are somewhat higher than in Traveller, and that to be "good" at a given skill you should have a level of 3 or 4. Thus it would seem that the very best possible swordsman or knife fighter is barely in the "good" range, and there are no experts at all.

Is my perception incorrect? Should Space:1889 skills be taken as more like Traveller skills, so that 1 is competent, 2 skilled, 3-4 very skilled, 5-6 extreme expertise?

But then that seems to be contradicted by the high levels of some default skills; if you have 4 or 5 in an attribute, then you automatically have 3 or 4 in the related default skill even without any training or skill points?!?

I would appreciate hearing others' thoughts about appropriate levels of skills to be sought when making PCs.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:44 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

With respect to Close Combat Skill, I would say that you can increase that up to your Strength or Agility Attribute limit, whatever is higher. Let me think if I want to play with that any more than that.

Hmm, not sure if I would agree with view of the skill level scales. Given that a Skill rating of 2 gives you a rating of 1 in the rest of the cascade, 2 is clearly quite competent. A Skill rating of 4 makes you a leading expert, and also makes Tasks quite a bit easier to do.

Quote:
I have gotten the impression that the skill level scales in this Space: 1889 are somewhat higher than in Traveller, and that to be "good" at a given skill you should have a level of 3 or 4. Thus it would seem that the very best possible swordsman or knife fighter is barely in the "good" range, and there are no experts at all.
On Page 49, the following appears.

Quote:
If the player took part in any close combat, he receives a Close Combat experience point. These points are awarded separately from general skill points and can only be used to buy Close Combat skill.
Also, for major events or successes during an adventure, you get additional General Skill points to save up or spend as desired. It is not like you are not going to add to your skill levels during the game.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:07 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
On Page 49, the following appears.

Quote:
If the player took part in any close combat, he receives a Close Combat experience point. These points are awarded separately from general skill points and can only be used to buy Close Combat skill.
Also, for major events or successes during an adventure, you get additional General Skill points to save up or spend as desired. It is not like you are not going to add to your skill levels during the game.
Ah, I had not noticed that part. Have mostly concentrated on Char-Gen chapter so far, plus some looks at background setting and equipment.

SBRD Campaign Wiki