Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Old January 21st, 2014, 01:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Reading this over again, I have a few questions even before thinking about a character:

1) May American characters alternatively base Riding skill on Agility rather than Social Class? (Have pity on the poor Soc 2 Cowboy!)
For Americans, the Riding Skill has nothing to do with Social Class. For the US, the reverse would be operating. The higher the Social Skill, the less likely a Riding Skill. Cowboys would have a minimum Riding Skill of 4, with the US Cavalry having an automatic riding skill of 3. Go watch Rio Grande with John Wayne sometime.

Quote:
2) May a US Army Cavalry officer spend one or more general skill points learning some Gunnery?
Yes, and also may learn Gatling Gun as well. Custer left a battery of 4 Gatling Guns behind him so that he could move faster.

Quote:
3) Is the Mapping skill taught at West Point the same as Wilderness Travel (Mapping) in the Basic Rules?
All skills are per the Basic Rules.

Still thinking about a Bribery Skill, and Small Boat is definitely distinct from Pilot. Those are the major changes.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:52 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
May I make a suggestion? West pointers would have studied ballistics thoroughly. Might a field fortification be modified for adding canon gunnery 1?

I know it's impossible to get everything into a game just so but it seems both logical and necessary given the amount of guns in the game. I do admire the thoughtfulness you put into the military.
Hmm, let me think about this, as the issue would be current use of said skill. I might assign a Skill Level of "0" to show familiarity. If he chooses artillery, which would include Coast Artillery, no question about it then.

The US Army was responsible for the coast artillery, unlike many other countries, and the Endicott Board of 1886 had made Coast Artillery improvement a high priority.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old January 21st, 2014, 03:46 AM

Gallery : 7
Visit Baron Saarthuran's Blog
Baron Saarthuran Citizen

I would like to join, if you have room?

Im thinking a royal navy officer?
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:56 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Saarthuran View Post
I would like to join, if you have room?

Im thinking a royal navy officer?
Welcome Aboard. Always nice to have the Royal Navy along.

Old January 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Quote:
1) May American characters alternatively base Riding skill on Agility rather than Social Class? (Have pity on the poor Soc 2 Cowboy!)
For Americans, the Riding Skill has nothing to do with Social Class. For the US, the reverse would be operating. The higher the Social Skill, the less likely a Riding Skill. Cowboys would have a minimum Riding Skill of 4, with the US Cavalry having an automatic riding skill of 3.
I have begun thinking of possible character in spite of my resolution to wait for the campaign setting to be decided, and I need a bit more explanation of the Riding skill for Americans.

How would this work in terms of char-gen mechanics? Do you mean it literally, that Riding for Americans would be based on something like 6-Soc, so the higher the Soc the less the default skill? Or can Americans base their default Riding off of something else (I suggested Agilty) instead of Soc?

I agree with your statements of higher Riding skills for Cowboys and Cavalry officers, just not sure how to get there in char-gen.

Just for example, US Cavalry officer out of West Point, fought in Indian Wars etc. Agility 4, Soc 3 (minimum for officer?). What would his default Riding skill be, how much would it raise for school and career, and then which stat would he use in determining point cost if he wanted to raise it with general skill points?

My humble suggestion (alt Riding rules for Americans) is that he could base his default off either Agility/2 (representing natural ability from Agility) or the usual Soc-1 (wealthy Americans also rode for pleasure). Riding-2 would come from the Cavalry career (thus minimum 3 as you stated, unless he had both Agility and Soc at 1). For raising by general point buy, could base cost off either Agility or Soc, whichever is better.

What do you think?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
I have begun thinking of possible character in spite of my resolution to wait for the campaign setting to be decided, and I need a bit more explanation of the Riding skill for Americans.

How would this work in terms of char-gen mechanics? Do you mean it literally, that Riding for Americans would be based on something like 6-Soc, so the higher the Soc the less the default skill? Or can Americans base their default Riding off of something else (I suggested Agilty) instead of Soc?
Agility makes more sense for Americans that Social, but Riding is also tied to career.

Quote:
I agree with your statements of higher Riding skills for Cowboys and Cavalry officers, just not sure how to get there in char-gen.

Just for example, US Cavalry officer out of West Point, fought in Indian Wars etc. Agility 4, Soc 3 (minimum for officer?). What would his default Riding skill be, how much would it raise for school and career, and then which stat would he use in determining point cost if he wanted to raise it with general skill points?
The is no Social minimum for US officers, either Army or Navy. Army officer default riding skill for Cavalry is 3, they did it a lot. For other officers, default skill of 2, not as much as Cavalry. If you want to raise it, cost is one-half a skill point per level up to 4, if you want to go to 5, that will cost another 2 skill points, nothing past 5 will be allowed.

Quote:
My humble suggestion (alt Riding rules for Americans) is that he could base his default off either Agility/2 (representing natural ability from Agility) or the usual Soc-1 (wealthy Americans also rode for pleasure). Riding-2 would come from the Cavalry career (thus minimum 3 as you stated, unless he had both Agility and Soc at 1). For raising by general point buy, could base cost off either Agility or Soc, whichever is better.

What do you think?
For Americans, for Riding Skill, each skill level up to 4 costs one-half a skill point, with Agility as the default determining characteristic. The exception would be characters with a naval background. To raise their riding characteristic will take one skill point per level to 3, and two skill points to get to 4, with nothing higher than 4 for naval characters. Hard to learn how to ride a horse while on board ship.

Note, if an American character has military skill based on the Civil War, he is going to need a second career, as the War ended 25 years ago, and presumably, he has been doing something since, unless he has stayed in the Army or Navy. Remember, service in the Civil War would make the character in his/her 40s at least.

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:45 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

I can see the houserules flying fast and furious, but at least they make sense!

Other than Riding and the stuff you already posted (West Point, etc) are we going mostly by the book on char-gen? I will make sure to bounce my stuff off you for approval before I make any assumptions.

Doesn't seem to be any more input on choice of campaign. Maybe wait a few days for more votes, then pick one? What do you think?

I mentioned it to my boys already, but I am having hard enough time getting them to post in SBRD, so...
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Jame, what do you think of the Mars options?

I kinda like #6 with the unexplored territory via Sky Galleon, or #5 with trying to get into the liftwood market, which will surely bring some intrigues and complications from others who don't want us involved.

EDIT: Or, as Timerover sorta suggested at the end of his post, do #5 first and then #6 as a follow-on.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:16 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Jame, what do you think of the Mars options?

I kinda like #6 with the unexplored territory via Sky Galleon, or #5 with trying to get into the liftwood market, which will surely bring some intrigues and complications from others who don't want us involved.

EDIT: Or, as Timerover sorta suggested at the end of his post, do #5 first and then #6 as a follow-on.

The exploring in Number 6 is not done via Sky Galleon, but for the most part, and for the first two options, about all, on the ground. The Sky Galleon gets you from your landing point on Mars, either Syrtis Major or Thymiamata. To explore the regions of Electris and Thaumasia, you probably would want some sort of aerial flyer.

Old January 21st, 2014, 09:22 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

The house rules are mainly for American characters, which the book does not really deal with. As for the rest of the process, that is going to be pretty much by the book. I added the Small Boat Skill under Piloting, as it seemed to be needed. Small boats have to deal with landing in surf, rivers, and enclosed waters, which larger craft avoid.