Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Monday, the 18th of October, Great Western Hotel - while making preparations to check out, there's a knock at the door. A Royal Engineer private in dress red knocks upon the door, and upon it opening,

"Mister Dubois, Sir?" He stands smartly, a handled small draftsmans portfolio hangs from his ink-stained left hand, and his black pith helmet under same arm. A fair bit of brogue hints through.

Upon acknowledgement, he reaches into his portfolio, pulls a postal card, and says, "Major said to give this to ye' since I be driving the Leftenant, Sir."

It sets the appointment for noon on the 9th of January for interview, and is signed by the Major. Pinned to it is a note on the Major's calling card:
Cricket match and high tea to follow. -JF.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
He gets a card back in the Post within the week, care of the hotel.
Dear Mr. McBean
Your appointment for interview is scheduled for the hour of 9 in the morning on the 9th of January. Please park your airship on the football pitch, as there's a cricket match versus the Navy that afternoon. Ground crew will be on watch from the hour of 7. Please notify if flying in earlier so ground crew can be ready.

James Fellowes
-James Fellowes, Maj., RE
McBean realises he has about 3 months to accomplish with the appointment. He wonders how to take the Higlands Pride to London, as he lacks a crew and should hire a short time one (at least engineers, pilot, and topmen) for the trip (whose wadges should include their tavel back home too). Maybe he could take some passengers to London when he does the trip to help paying the expenses (maybe some rich people would pay for such a trip1)...
Note 1 (OOC): with no bargain skill at all, I don't expect too much from that
He tries to hire it for the trials for those months, while preparing for the trip to Venus if he's hired.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; January 23rd, 2014 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: typos
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:55 PM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
"I want you to get your paperwork in now, get some stock photos so the Chief can't complain about the trip, and so you're top of the queue. We need something to boost circulation in the long term, and an exclusive can't be bad!"
"Will do. I'll get the photos and interview done soonest and get them right back to you."

When he arrives he presents himself to Major Fellows.
"David Lawton, from The Cornishman. I'd like to join your expedition as a reporter - here are my credentials. I think you'd be served by having someone to publicize your findings."

"If possible I'd also like to take some photos and an interview for publication on Tuesday's issue."
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

8 October, Southamption, Continued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
"Will do. I'll get the photos and interview done soonest and get them right back to you."

When he arrives he presents himself to Major Fellows.
"David Lawton, from The Cornishman. I'd like to join your expedition as a reporter - here are my credentials. I think you'd be served by having someone to publicize your findings."

"If possible I'd also like to take some photos and an interview for publication on Tuesday's issue."
The Major is a middle aged officer, youthful looking, but with wrinkle lines at the corners giving away his advancing age, quite well fit. In his office, he's in shirt and trousers, with braces, his red tunic hanging nearby on a separate coatrack. A cricket glove and bat rest in the corner behind it. He waives you in, pulls two cups and saucers, then removes the cozy from the teapot on his desk. He takes the letter, and sits.

Looking over the letter, he absently pours two cups of tea, slides one across, indicates the chair in his small but comfortable office, hums softly some marching anthem, proffers a box of sugar cubes, then reads the CV.

Finally, "Mr. Lawton... our first contract is scheduled to leave in January. I suspect it may be short a man or two. You claim to be able to shoot... Good. Bring a longarm and sidearm. Speak German - excellent!" At this point, he pulls out a package of inexpensive biscuits, a spare saucer, and puts two piles of five neatly on the saucer. Be ready for a 1.5 to 2 year assignment. You may be able to get time to send home some interim stories via government courier." He then pulls out a folder, labels it in drafting pencil, and puts your application papers into it. "Process begins at 9 in the morning January the ninth. I see no reason you can't be on this trip, provided we have a ship. We'll put you up here in the house for the week before departure. Oh, and if you're not busy on the morrow, we've got a cricket match on the pitch across the way. R-A versus R-E... "
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:27 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

McBean tries to hire a crew for the trilas of his newly built Highlands Pride. He needs a petty officer (pilot) and 6 able hands (signalsman, 2 topmen, 2 engineers and a deckhand), so it would cost him 15/6 a day.

He plans for 2 weeks trials (so costing him 10 Ł 17/-). He himselfs pilots it when conditions are good (with the pilot's supervision, as he knows he has a lot to learn in this).

After making the trials, he writes a letter to Major Fellows sugesting to show him the ship before the appointment, just to see if it would be adequate and if some improvements must be done.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:08 AM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
8 October, Southamption, Continued.

The Major is a middle aged officer, youthful looking, but with wrinkle lines at the corners giving away his advancing age, quite well fit. In his office, he's in shirt and trousers, with braces, his red tunic hanging nearby on a separate coatrack. A cricket glove and bat rest in the corner behind it. He waives you in, pulls two cups and saucers, then removes the cozy from the teapot on his desk. He takes the letter, and sits.

Looking over the letter, he absently pours two cups of tea, slides one across, indicates the chair in his small but comfortable office, hums softly some marching anthem, proffers a box of sugar cubes, then reads the CV.

Finally, "Mr. Lawton... our first contract is scheduled to leave in January. I suspect it may be short a man or two. You claim to be able to shoot... Good. Bring a longarm and sidearm. Speak German - excellent!" At this point, he pulls out a package of inexpensive biscuits, a spare saucer, and puts two piles of five neatly on the saucer. Be ready for a 1.5 to 2 year assignment. You may be able to get time to send home some interim stories via government courier." He then pulls out a folder, labels it in drafting pencil, and puts your application papers into it. "Process begins at 9 in the morning January the ninth. I see no reason you can't be on this trip, provided we have a ship. We'll put you up here in the house for the week before departure. Oh, and if you're not busy on the morrow, we've got a cricket match on the pitch across the way. R-A versus R-E... "
Davey takes notes in standard reporter's shorthand in order to prep a headline for the news. "I'm more familiar with a revolver than a longarm so if you have any suggestions for that I'd certainly appreciate it."

"Cricket sounds fun. I'll be there, just let me know what time it is. Oh, if you don't mind I'd like to take a few photos for The Cornishman - we'd get a scoop, you'd get some more publicity, and maybe find a ship.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

8 October, Southampton, continued
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Davey takes notes in standard reporter's shorthand in order to prep a headline for the news. "I'm more familiar with a revolver than a longarm so if you have any suggestions for that I'd certainly appreciate it."

"Cricket sounds fun. I'll be there, just let me know what time it is. Oh, if you don't mind I'd like to take a few photos for The Cornishman - we'd get a scoop, you'd get some more publicity, and maybe find a ship.
"Ah, yes." A broad smile. "Game's at 1, I'm one of our bowlers. As for a longarm, I'm sending you to Venus. An elephant gun is not a bad choice, but may be a bit much for you. If you're not busy sunday after services, we can get some lunch here, and then head over to the armory and let you try some out, see what you can handle. An interview for you as much as a nice day at the range when the boys won't be crowding."
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene

Last edited by aramis; January 23rd, 2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
McBean tries to hire a crew for the trilas of his newly built Highlands Pride. He needs a petty officer (pilot) and 6 able hands (signalsman, 2 topmen, 2 engineers and a deckhand), so it would cost him 15/6 a day.

He plans for 2 weeks trials (so costing him 10 Ł 17/-). He himselfs pilots it when conditions are good (with the pilot's supervision, as he knows he has a lot to learn in this).

After making the trials, he writes a letter to Major Fellows sugesting to show him the ship before the appointment, just to see if it would be adequate and if some improvements must be done.
This should be late october...

McBean heads to the nearest Merchant Marine hiring hall, as that's where he'll find qualified men. There are a lot, so it sounds like a choice:

Either a Bargaining Roll (basic competent crew, successes reduce costs) or Leadership (No reduction in costs, but successes improve crew quality). TN ≤3. If you do both, leadership 1st, at TN ≤3, then bargaining at TN ≤2.

A failure means raising the prices by 1s per day per man and retry.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
This should be late october...

McBean heads to the nearest Merchant Marine hiring hall, as that's where he'll find qualified men. There are a lot, so it sounds like a choice:

Either a Bargaining Roll (basic competent crew, successes reduce costs) or Leadership (No reduction in costs, but successes improve crew quality). TN ≤3. If you do both, leadership 1st, at TN ≤3, then bargaining at TN ≤2.

A failure means raising the prices by 1s per day per man and retry.
Being a bad bragaining, McBean uses his leadership to try hiring the,: (1d6)[4]

It seems there are better offers for the posible hirelings...

McBean posts a hiring note and returns home...

Last edited by McPerth; January 23rd, 2014 at 12:41 PM..
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Being a bad bragaining, McBean uses his leadership to try hiring the,: [roll0]

It seems there are better offers for the posible hirelings...

McBean posts a hiring note and returns home...
He can try again in a week, or he can raise his offer immediately by 1s per man per day. we'll say that was 4th week of october.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene