Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Here he is complete and ready to go, with a name (Sergeant William Carson), personal history, and a few changes to skills from what I submitted last night. Please let me know if any changes are suggested or required.

################################################## ############

Sergeant William Henry Carson, British Army (Infantry, Hampshire Regiment)

Human Male, Age 29 (born 2 Feb 1857, Southhampton, Hampshire, England)

Stats: 4-5-3-5-2-2

Strength: 4
_ Fisticuffs: 3 +1 =4
_ Throwing: 2
_ Close Combat: +1 +1 =2
_ _ Pole-arm: 2 1
_ _ Edged: 1
_ _ Blunt: 1
_ Trimsman:

Agility: 5
_ Stealth: 4
_ Marksman:
_ _ Rifle/Shotgun: +2 +2 =4
_ _ Pistol: =2
_ _ Bow: =2
_ Crime:
_ Mechanics:
_ _ Machinist: +2 =2
_ _ Steam: =1
_ _ Electricity: =1

Endurance: 3
_ Wilderness Travel:
_ _ Foraging: +1 +1 =2
_ _ Mapping: 2 =2
_ _ Mountaineering: =1
_ Fieldcraft: +2 +1 =3
_ Swimming: 1
_ Tracking:

Intellect: 5
_ Observation: 4
_ Engineering:
_ _ Naval Architecture:
_ _ Structural:
_ _ Fortification:
_ _ Explosives: +1 =1 2
_ Science:
_ Gunnery: +3 =3 (MG/HRC) 3

Charisma: 2
_ Eloquence: 1
_ Theatrics:
_ Bargaining:
_ Linguistics:

Social Level: 2
_ Riding: 1
_ Piloting:
_ Leadership: +1 =1
_ Medicine:

Default skills from Stats: Fist 3, Throw 2, Stealth 4, WT(Forage) 2, Swim 1, Obsrv 4, Eloquence 1, Riding 1

Career Skills: British Army NCO (Infantry): CloseCbt 1, WT 1 (Forage), Mks 1 (Rifle), Leadership 1, Mks 1 (Rifle), Fieldcraft 2, Fieldcraft 1 (Afghan campaign) 4

General Skill Points (6): Gunner 3 (MG/HRC) (1.5 pt), Mechanics 2 (Machinist) (1 pt), Mks 2 (Rifle) (1 pt), CloseCbt 1 (1 pt), Fist 1 (1 pt), Engr 1 (Exp) (0.5 pt)

Derived Cascade Skills: Pistol 2, Bow 2, Steam 1, Elec 1,

Areas for Desired Improvement In-Game: Obsvn, CloseCbt, Explosives, Linguistics, Gunnery, Machinist

Description:

Sandy hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and freckles mark Bill Carson as a typical Hampshire boy. His slender build conceals hidden strength and quickness. After 10 years in military service, he is most comfortable in uniform. If in civilian clothes, it will be simple work clothes, unless more formality is required, in which case he will be uncomfortable in unfamiliar clothing.

He is quite shy unless he is conversing about something related to his profession or interests, or when he is in a command role as NCO over men assigned to him. His shyness masks a keen intellect and intense interest in things related to his profession.

Personal History:

William Henry Carson was born 2 Feb 1857 in Southhampton, Hampshire, England. His father owned a small bookshop and also did custom bookbindery and restorations. Bill had formal schooling only up to the age of 10, after which he educated himself during slack times working in the family bookshop. He especially loved history and geography and stories of the far reaches of the British Empire. As the third son in a family with five children, his prospects in the family business were poor, and accordingly he enlisted as a Private in the 37th Hampshire Infantry Regiment of the British Army at the age of 19 (1876).

Two years after signing up, Bill was sent off to Afghanistan with the rest of his regiment to fight in the Second Afghan War (1878-1880). Bill's fighting spirit in that war and ability to rally the men around him earned him a promotion to Corporal. In 1881 Bill's regiment was reorganized and merged with the 67th Hampshire Infantry to form the new Hampshire Regiment, with regimental headquarters and barracks at Winchester.

In 1885 the Hampshire Regiment was sent to fight in the Third Burma War. Near the end of the conflict, Bill's company was assigned to defend a temporary fortified camp, along with one of the regiment's four batteries of the new Hotchkiss Rotating Cannon. Attacked by a strong enemy force, the fort was on the verge of being overrun and actually had enemy irregulars inside the parade ground, when Bill took over one of the HRCs which was out of action due to crew casualties and used it to rout the enemy mob and send them running. Bill then rallied the troops on his portion of the camp wall and drove the rest of the enemy out of the camp and back into the jungle, demoralized and fleeing for their lives. Partially as a result of that exploit, Bill was promoted to Sergeant. Now back home in England again, the regiment is recruiting and training new men to replenish its losses, and Sergeant William Carson has been ordered on detached duty with an Ordinance Survey expedition to the planet Venus.

Equipment:

Dress uniform including red tunic with white facing
Helmet
Boots and leggings
Full field pack and harness
Lee-Metford .303 Bolt Action Rifle
Bayonet for rifle (scabbarded on belt)

Inside/Outside Field Pack (or carried on belt):
- two khaki uniforms (one tropical)
- 80 pounds in cash 5
- standard canteen
- two spare magazines for rifle (scavenged while on campaign in Burma)
- standard field load of rifle ammunition
- bedroll
- entrenching tool
- three days preserved field rations
- Holy Bible, KJV
- book of selected plays of Shakespeare
- book, "A Tale of Two Cities", Charles Dickens
Fn 1: Standard Close Combat skill for Infantry using rifle with bayonet

Fn 2: I reduced Bill's Explosives skill to 1. This let me use the extra 1/2 skill point to raise his Gunnery to 3, which seemed more appropriate for his assigned duty on this expedition. Also, reducing Explosives to 1 eliminated the default cascade of other Engineer skills, which I felt did not belong with this character.

Fn 3: As stated above, raised skill to 3. Choice of specialization depends on what guns he is assigned to use aboard ship; from McPerth's design, this appears to be a pair of 6-pdr HRCs.

Fn 4: Added 1 level of Fieldcraft per my understanding of notes on p.95 of Soldier's Companion that veterans of the 37th Infantry Regiment gain a bonus of 1 to Fieldcraft. If this is incorrect, then Bill's Fieldcraft level is only 2.

Fn 5: Bill's starting fortune; have not yet deducted for books carried in his pack or other gear to be bought in-game.

################################################## ############
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 3rd, 2014 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: fudging dates to match 1887 game start rather than 1889
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
Doctor X Citizen

Name: Emil Tunnaud

Careers
Anarchist (Soc 3-, Agl 5 +)
Engineer (Soc 4-, Int 4+)

Strength (1d6)[1] +1 = 2
_ fisticuffs 1
_ throwing 1
_ close combat 1 (edged)
Agility (1d6)[3] +2=5
_ stealth 3
_ Crime 2 (Lockpick)
_ Marksmanship
_ Mechanics 3 (steam)
Endurance (1d6)[1] +1=2
_ Wilderness Travel 1 (mountaineering)
Intellect (1d6)[3] +2=5
_ Observation 6
_ Engineering 5 (explosives)
_ Science 2 (Physics)
Charisma (1d6)[2] 2
_ Eloquence 2
_ Theatrics 1
_ Linguistics 1 (French Native, English 1)
Social Level (1d6)[2] 2
_ Riding 1 (horse)

Equipment

Knife
Case of Dynamite (100 sticks)
Steamer Trunk
Set of Lockpicks
Townsman clothes (Free outfit)
Rough Living Suit
Welding Kit

Due to low rolls, raising to 18 total.

Last edited by Doctor X; February 4th, 2014 at 04:42 AM..
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Citizen: SOC-2

Doctor X Citizen

(2d6)[4]x10=40
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Peer of the Realm

Thanos Citizen
Default Henri compleate

Henri DuBois PhD

Str 3
-Fisticuffs 2
-Swimming 2
-Throwing 1

Agl 4
-Marksmanship 1
-Stealth 3

End 2
-Wilderness travel (foraging) 1

Int 5
-Observation 6

Cha 3
-Eloquence 2

Soc 4
-Riding (horse) 4

Science 6
-Biology 6
-Chemistry 3
-Physics 3
-Geology 3
-Archaeology 3

Engineering 2

Linguistics 4
-French as native language
-English 4
-Latin 2
-German 2
-Koine Greek 2

Steamer trunk
4 changes of clothes. 2 business, one sporting, one formal.
Conklin's Atlas of the Worlds.
Edison's Encyclopedia of General Information.
KJV Holy Bible
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:10 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

A suggestion:

Should a sticked thread with "Dramatis Personae" be created as reference?

I ask because it will ease for all of us to keep track with who is who in the game, and to more or less describe the ship`s crew and other NPCs (just an entry for each character something like Captain/Owner: Rory McBean: Navy Officer/Inventor (McPerth); 2nd Engineer: Corporal Smith, Navy (NPC))

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Peer of the Realm

Thanos Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
A suggestion:

I ask because it will ease for all of us to keep track with who is who in the game, and to more or less describe the ship`s crew and other NPCs (just an entry for each character something like Captain/Owner: Rory McBean: Navy Officer/Inventor (McPerth); 2nd Engineer: Corporal Smith, Navy (NPC))
Yes please.
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
A suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Yes please.
Can we players created threads in this subforum, or only Aramis as subforum moderator? [I'll test that in just a minute and find out]

As format for this, I would suggest the first post is only a list of names, and then we each make posts after that with one character per post. Either the original poster or Aramis as moderator can edit the first post to link to each of the following posts.

For an example of what I am talking about (in Wiki format rather than forum posts), check out the Characters page in the SBRD Wiki.

Aramis posted last night that he will be busy until fairly late tonight, but if we start putting this together he can edit or rearrange as he wants with Mod powers.

EDIT: FYI, the subforum let me create a new thread for the Dramatis Personae, and I made the first page a list of all characters so that we could then link to following pages of detailed info, but then when I hit "Submit" it says it won't be posted until approved by a moderator. So I guess we are stuck on doing anything further with this until Aramis has a chance to look it over and approve it.

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 9th, 2014 at 04:39 PM..
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

We'll also need Aramis to decide if he wants it sticky, as that did not seem to be an option for me on the new thread.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

You can create them, but unless you're a mod or admin, they have to be approved before they show up.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

I think the best way to keep it updated is by Aramis editing it as needed, so that we need only check the OP to have a whole idea of the casting. Of course, comments may be posted, but it will (IMHO) lose its meaning if we must look at the last post to see it updated. After all my idea was to have the casting available at first glance...

About sticking it, after thinking a little more. I don't see it necessary unless there's more tan one page of threads, as it will be available at first glance in any case. If the threads number rises over a page (or if people thinks it will be more useful sticked), then either Aramis or myself can stick it.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.