Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

McBean's starting money roll: (2d6)[7] x 50

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:17 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

So, his full possesions are:

Equipment:

Books:
  • Conklin's Atlas of the Worlds and Handy Manual of Useful Information: 1 shilling
  • Edison's Encyclopedia of General Information: 1 shilling
  • The Millwright's Companion and Handy-Book: 8 shillings

Tools:
  • Axe: 2 shillings
  • Tools, Instrument marker: 7 pounds
  • Tools, metalworker: 6 pounds

Clothing (3 sets each):
  • Foul weather: 30 shillings
  • Rought-living: 3 pounds

Weapons
  • Knife (in his sock, as good Scottish): 1 shilling
  • 12-Gauge Lever Action shotgun: 5 pounds
  • Heavy revolver: 2 pounds

Several cases of scottish whisky

Ship: the Higlands Pride (either Aramis' design or mine).

Total cost (ship excluded) is 25 3/-, so he has 324 17/- remaining...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:05 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Here are his stats and skills for approval. Haven't got much background or even a name yet.

################################################## ############

Royal Army Sergeant (Infantry)

Stats: 4-5-3-5-2-2

Strength: 4
_ Fisticuffs: 3 +1 =4
_ Throwing: 2
_ Close Combat: +1 +1 =2
_ Trimsman:

Agility: 5
_ Stealth: 4
_ Marksman:
_ _ Rifle/Shotgun: +2 +2 =4
_ _ Pistol: =2
_ _ Bow: =2
_ Crime:
_ Mechanics:
_ _ Machinist: +2 =2
_ _ Steam: =1
_ _ Electricity: =1

Endurance: 3
_ Wilderness Travel:
_ _ Foraging: 1 +1 =2
_ _ Mapping: 2
_ _ Mountaineering: =1
_ Fieldcraft: +2 =2
_ Swimming: 1
_ Tracking:

Intellect: 5
_ Observation: 4
_ Engineering:
_ _ Naval Architecture: =1
_ _ Structural: =1
_ _ Fortification: =1
_ _ Explosives: +2 =2
_ Science:
_ Gunnery: +2 =2

Charisma: 2
_ Eloquence: 1
_ Theatrics:
_ Bargaining:
_ Linguistics:

Social Level: 2
_ Riding: 1
_ Piloting:
_ Leadership: +1 =1
_ Medicine:

Default skills from Stats: Fist 3, Throw 2, Stealth 4, WT(Maps) 2, Swim 1, Obsrv 4, Eloquence 1, Riding 1

Career Skills: Royal Army NCO (Infantry): CloseCbt 1, WT 1 (Forage), Mks 1 (Rifle), Leadership 1, Mks 1 (Rifle), Fieldcraft 2

General Skill Points (6): Gunner 2 (TBD) (1 pt), Mechanics 2 (Machinist) (1 pt), Mks 2 (Rifle) (1 pt), CloseCbt 1 (1 pt), Fist 1 (1 pt), Engr 2 (Exp) (1 pt)

Derived Cascade Skills: Pistol 2, Bow 2, Steam 1, Elec 1, Engr(others) 1, WT 1

Areas for Desired Improvement In-Game: Obsvn, Explosives, Linguistics, Gunnery

Description:

TBD

Personal History:

Royal Army Sergeant of Infantry (Regiment???) with some experience in Gunnery (appropriate type for this mission) and Machinist (to maintain weapons).

################################################## ############

EDIT: I could lose the Explosives 2 (and associated Engineer cascade defaults) and raise Gunnery up to 4; I just thought having someone mildly familiar with Explosives might come in handy, and to me it seems sort of appropriate with having gotten some Gunnery experience in the field.

EDIT 2: We don't have a Geologist yet, do we? Maybe it would be more appropriate for that NPC to have some Engineer/Explosives experience, and I should leave my guy to shooting?

EDIT 3: Also torn as to his Close Combat specialty. Edged seems more generally useful, but realistically an Infantryman of that period would probably be most familiar with close combat using his rifle - but would that be Polearm for using the bayonet, or Blunt for using the rifle butt?

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 3rd, 2014 at 03:14 AM..
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Soc 2 should be an ordinary regiment.

Local to the Southampton area is the (recently amalgamated, 1881) Hampshire Regiment.

it was amalgamated from the 67th Infantry Regt (South Hampshire, which was in Afghanistan in 1880) and the 37th Infantry (North Hampshire, no recent honors)

By the way - the 10-year rule - I found it. Soldier's Companion, p 72.

From Pages 94-95 of same... more on the 37th.
37 Hampshire [white facings] UV: V1 (AF, BR, CH)
Veterans, Fieldcraft Mod 1.
AF: Second Afghan War(1878-80)
BR: Third Burma War (1885-7)
CH: Third China War (1860)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hampshire_Regiment

If you saw afghan service, you were in the 67th (South); Burma, could be either. As a single career soldier, you're too short in the tooth to have seen the Third China War.

In this 1887 era, the regiment wears a wreath with the battle honors on wrapping banner, a crown atop the join, overall a 37. The central battle on the honors ribbon is Mindon... http://www.maltaramc.com/imgregts/37th.jpg

Well, that's the quarter hour of digging I'm willing to do at the moment.

By the way - I'd have said "Yes" earlier, but it was sunday game time.

I've one more player looking to join - he's not got an account yet.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:23 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Here are some edits that I think I was adding to the end of my last post about the same time you were writing your reply.

Quote:
EDIT: I could lose the Explosives 2 (and associated Engineer cascade defaults) and raise Gunnery up to 4; I just thought having someone mildly familiar with Explosives might come in handy, and to me it seems sort of appropriate with having gotten some Gunnery experience in the field.

EDIT 2: We don't have a Geologist yet, do we? Maybe it would be more appropriate for that NPC to have some Engineer/Explosives experience, and I should leave my guy to shooting?

EDIT 3: Also torn as to his Close Combat specialty. Edged seems more generally useful, but realistically an Infantryman of that period would probably be most familiar with close combat using his rifle - but would that be Polearm for using the bayonet, or Blunt for using the rifle butt?
Hampshire Regiment sounds fine to me, and thank you for the research. I will look into it further to be properly educated on my guy's regimental history, where he saw action, etc.

EDIT: Oh yes, and what sort of Gunnery should he specialize?

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 3rd, 2014 at 03:35 AM..
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Here are some edits that I think I was adding to the end of my last post about the same time you were writing your reply.

Hampshire Regiment sounds fine to me, and thank you for the research. I will look into it further to be properly educated on my guy's regimental history, where he saw action, etc.
You'll need to pick where he was pre-1881.

as for cross-posting, it happens.

Most infantry melee would be bayonet. It was the downhill slide era for the bayonet charge, but when you're fighting guys hopped up on hashish, (as the 67th might have been), you don't want to get that close.

As for Geologist - not as such - but Thanos' scientist is sufficiently skilled to serve as.

I don't think we've got anybody with explosives, either.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:42 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Oh, forgot starting funds: (2d6)[8] * 10 = 80 pounds

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 3rd, 2014 at 04:03 AM..
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:02 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Argh, I keep forgetting "one more thing"...

So as an active duty soldier on some special assignment to the Survey Office, would my guy have his standard issue rifle plus bayonet? Or do you think they would issue him a pistol instead since he is assigned as a gunner?

I assume he'd be in uniform, have whatever standard backpack or kit-bag they used then... (I will research that stuff!)

Would anything else be Army-issue, or would he need to buy all other equipment out of his own funds?

Also, what sort of Gunnery should he specialize? If you are using McPerth's ship design, I see two 6-pdr HRCs mounted on balconies - looks like skill for those would be Gunner (Machinegun/Rotating Cannon). Are those the guns he would be using?

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Argh, I keep forgetting "one more thing"...

So as an active duty soldier on some special assignment to the Survey Office, would my guy have his standard issue rifle plus bayonet? Or do you think they would issue him a pistol instead since he is assigned as a gunner?

I assume he'd be in uniform, have whatever standard backpack or kit-bag they used then... (I will research that stuff!)

Would anything else be Army-issue, or would he need to buy all other equipment out of his own funds?

Also, what sort of Gunnery should he specialize? If you are using McPerth's ship design, I see two 6-pdr HRCs mounted on balconies - looks like skill for those would be Gunner (Machinegun/Rotating Cannon). Are those the guns he would be using?
His reg't would send him with the rifle and bayonet, plus his full field pack, and probably 3 uniforms... 2 khakis and a set of dress reds. Possibly a set of tropicals (which would be one of the 2 khaki sets if taken).

The OS will issue him one if he asks nice. (Which is your cue to pick an officer, an approach, and jump into scene. The officers in scene are the Major and Lt. McPhee.)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:14 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
His reg't would send him with the rifle and bayonet, plus his full field pack, and probably 3 uniforms... 2 khakis and a set of dress reds. Possibly a set of tropicals (which would be one of the 2 khaki sets if taken).

The OS will issue him one if he asks nice. (Which is your cue to pick an officer, an approach, and jump into scene. The officers in scene are the Major and Lt. McPhee.)
I don't understand the part in bold. Issue him another uniform? Or???

Jumping into scene now. (Heh heh. I had to stop myself from writing "sir" there - already getting into character and thinking of dialogue for this while having trouble sleeping.) I figure he would probably travel from barracks with the other gunner, so am including Corporal Smithers - if that doesn't fit what you want, just tell me and I will edit so that Sergeant Carson travels and reports alone.

SBRD Campaign Wiki