Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Old April 11th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Let me shed some light on this corner if I may, the post offering to "send you a copy" was a little unclear and when I read it, I could see how it could easily be interpreted as either:

1. Timerover51 was the publisher and was offering a book at free or reduced price ... which would make that a very generous offer and a nice gesture.

2. Timerover51 had somehow worked for/with the publisher and had a PDF of the book that he was offering to share with you.

Interpretation 1 deserves a "well done, tip of the hat".
Interpretation 2 is flagrant piracy of someone's copyrighted work and deserves a ban (per COTI policy).
The moderators and administrators were simply investigating which this was.

While you may not be inclined to view it this way, I see this as a good thing ...
1. COTI is serious about protecting Time Rover Publishing from piracy at COTI.
2. I learned a little more about the man behind the "Timerover51" handle ... and was impressed by what I found.
3. The system worked as well as we could have hoped, a questionable act was observed, the truth was discovered, and the guilty were punished (no one) while the innocent were acquitted (everyone involved).

YMMV, but I hope this helps explain things.
The book was done well before PDF files were widely used, being 1995. The printer needed hard copy pages to use to produce the printing plates, so I do not have any PDF file to share with anyone.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErianFrost View Post
[OOC: I don't think we'd all need to have VaccSuits on at all times, since we should have *at least* 15 minutes warning before anyone was close enough to board. Unless I missed something, SpaceBadger isn't really including much stealth technology in this campaign, so we should be able to see most things coming a long ways off.

Are there any emergencies other than boarding that we'd need to depressurize for? How are fires generally handled?]
Some ship damage results in space combat result in depressurization of whatever compartment is hit, so prudent spacers expecting combat will often either: 1) wear vaccsuits, but keep the pressure up for comfort, and helmets and gloves off but ready; or 2) wear vaccsuits fully sealed, pump the ship's atmo into holding tanks (part of the life support system), so that the ship is already in vacuum and depressurization by damage is not a problem.

Note that while option 2 is a higher level of preparedness, the lack of comfort leads to fatigue issues over a long period of time, so this is often reserved for only combat that seems inevitable and immediate. (One reason that Navies that can afford it will make their standard uniform a tailored vaccsuit, so all personnel are comfortable and prepared for battle at all times.)

Nope, no stealth tech that is really effective in space; signature can be reduced by shutting everything down and going cold, but the ship is still hotter than the vacuum all around it, and going cold means not being ready for battle, as the power-plant takes time to start up.

And yes, the best way to put out a fire quickly is to depressurize that compartment so there is no oxygen supply; depending on the configuration of ship bulkheads, this may cause problems for nearby personnel not in vaccsuits.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:31 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

I think I have the equation figured out for calculating when Fortunate Son will pass the A-2. I'll set the Distance equation for each ship equal to the other (so they are the same Distance from starting point Nexus Highport) and then set so they are both using the same Time variable (one ship would use T, the other one T+x, where x is the difference in departure time), then solve for T.

Either that, or just use a succession of approximations solving the Distance equation for each ship until I've got them at the same place at the same time.

I dunno, I'll look at it again tomorrow when I am less medicated and less sleepy.

EDIT: I can also figure out current time and position by figuring how far out from XII-H the rendezvous would have been given that I said it will take 3 hours for the shuttle to get back at 6-G; then use that position with the Distance equation to figure out how long it took Fortunate Son to get there from Nexus Highport.

Then we should have everybody all in place, and maybe I can sketch some little diagrams to make it all clear, so you guys can plan better what you need to do, and when.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

I made a new thread in CT subforum to try to get more input on the "combat in PbP" discussion, since no one has yet had any suggestions in this thread.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
[Max] Since his shotgun is with the away team, Max selects a snub pistol loaded with Tranq rounds from the ship's locker, wearing it in a shoulder holster external to his vacc suit. Two reloads (12 rounds) of standard ammo are in his pocket.
Just noticed this on re-read. The ship's snub pistols are all auto-snubs, not the revolver kind. I believe they take either a 10-round or 20-round magazine. The 20-round mag sticks out quite aways, so for a shoulder holster you'd probably want the 10-round mags. The ship's lockers have both size mags available.

This is just the way it is in the ship's write-up. I don't recall if I put that in, or Scott did. The trade-off for the additional ammo is that you can't custom pick your round by rotating the cylinder, as you could on a revolver model. Generally any magazine is loaded with one type of ammo, so to change ammo you change mags. (I also had one PC of mine who carried his "combat" mags loaded with alternating HE and HEAP rounds, but I don't think we specified that in the ship write-up.)

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Timerover, I noticed that I had not yet made an individual Character page for Speaker in the Wiki. That is done now, and here is the link: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Campaig...aker_to_Humans .

If you have a Wiki account, you can edit or add stuff to this page (I left some stubs for suggested info you might want to add); otherwise you can give me stuff and I will add it.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:59 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

It is SO good to see that Victor has a sound grasp of the political/tactical situation here!

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:00 AM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Just noticed this on re-read. The ship's snub pistols are all auto-snubs, not the revolver kind. I believe they take either a 10-round or 20-round magazine. The 20-round mag sticks out quite aways, so for a shoulder holster you'd probably want the 10-round mags. The ship's lockers have both size mags available.

This is just the way it is in the ship's write-up. I don't recall if I put that in, or Scott did. The trade-off for the additional ammo is that you can't custom pick your round by rotating the cylinder, as you could on a revolver model. Generally any magazine is loaded with one type of ammo, so to change ammo you change mags. (I also had one PC of mine who carried his "combat" mags loaded with alternating HE and HEAP rounds, but I don't think we specified that in the ship write-up.)
10 round mag and snub auto pistol are both fine ... Max has no skill with the weapon (shotgun-0 is only weapon skill per character background) and just wants something as a 'last chance' weapon. Tranquil rounds should give me a better chance of harming the enemy than killing a crewman or destroying engineering.
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

I bought the Traveller-5 CD last week, along w T-4, CT (already owned most of it, but nice to have PDFs) and the Challenge magazine collection.

Yeah, we are still playing mostly CT (until I start importing some bits from T-5, which I will warn you before doing)

What I wanted to let y'all know if that I have read or re-read the Central Supply Catalog books of T-4 and 2300AD and MegaTraveller, and really there is a lot of cool gear in there. I urge you to have a look (Erian and Chaos, you can look at my CDs.

I am not offering a blanket approval of everything in these books, but if it looks cool, seems appropriate to our game TL (even if book TL is different), then please let me know what gear from these books you want to have in our game, and I'll see if we can work something out.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old May 17th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Holy Wow. In searching through old posts in the IC thread to link some info in my IC post earlier this evening (morning???), I realized that I really need to re-read this whole chapter from page 1. I realized I've gotten Brannscomb/Brannsford's name wrong, and also Mr. Blake/Black (I think his name was originally going to be Black, but I changed it when I realized that might cause some confusion with Chief Engineer Max Black ), so who knows what else I have forgotten. I don't have time to read it all tonight, but I'm not posting anymore IC until I have re-read it all up to current, and I suggest that since this chapter has dragged out over seven months, it might be a good idea for y'all to do the same if you have time. Might help clear up some confusions and also help with solving your current problems without me having to railroad too much.

SBRD Campaign Wiki