Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM
sabredog sabredog is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,552
Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+
Default

"We have a decent medbay, though we haven't anyone to spare to keep it stocked up and, well, ...the brass polished. It could use a real ship' s doctor instead of a medic. Your expertise in finding some trade will come in handy where we are going."

Hampton jots down the berth number of Fortunate Son on a napkin and hands it to Freeman.
"We'll be in port for a little while yet. Come by tomorrow and I'll give you the tour. If you like what you see ee can quibble some more over the finacial arrangements after I look over your certificates."

Hampton gets up, takes the other half of sandwich in one hand and offers Doc the other, "Pleasureto meet you Doc, I'll see you tomorrow."

Hampton collects Max and heads out the door. "Max, you want the rest of this? Not enough horseradish but stil tasty?"
__________________
"I may have been grown in a vat, but I wasn't decanted yesterday."

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
  #22  
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
DaveChase's Avatar
DaveChase DaveChase is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 2,349
Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
"We have a decent medbay, though we haven't anyone to spare to keep it stocked up and, well, ...the brass polished. It could use a real ship' s doctor instead of a medic. Your expertise in finding some trade will come in handy where we are going."

Hampton jots down the berth number of Fortunate Son on a napkin and hands it to Freeman.
"We'll be in port for a little while yet. Come by tomorrow and I'll give you the tour. If you like what you see ee can quibble some more over the finacial arrangements after I look over your certificates."
Doc sees what Captain Hampton is doing and speaks up, 'You can see my list of certifications at the port authority. They charge like 20 Creds for the sheet, but it is worth it, I guarantee it.
Quote:

Hampton gets up, takes the other half of sandwich in one hand and offers Doc the other, "Pleasureto meet you Doc, I'll see you tomorrow."
'Until then.'
__________________
'We have no choice about the world we are born into.
We only have a choice of the world we leave behind when we die.' Capt J.T. Kirk
  #23  
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:19 AM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 8,950
Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default Max Black (Engineer / Steward)

[Max]
Max accepts the offer of lunch (which he decides is surprisingly good for a bar and takes note of a unique combination of spices). He nurses his beer and quietly listens to the exchange between the captain and the doctor.

Max decides he kinda likes 'Doc'. So when the conversation reaches a lull, he asks Doc "Do you like automata?"

[Assuming the answer is one of even remote interest.]

Max reaches into his pocket and removes a polished brass cube about 5 cm (2 inches) on a side with lots of carved parts and internal clock works visible through openings in the exterior of the cube. He lifts a small winding key from a recess on one of the sides, inserts it into a hole and proceeds to wind up the cube. It does nothing in his hand, but when he sets it down on the table, the cube rises on a small foot that extends from the bottom while two skinny arms extend from the side. The cube takes a 'step' using the arms and foot and then rolls forward 90 degrees landing on a foot that extends from what was the front of the cube. It repeats the step-roll process as it moves about a third of a meter across the table and then squats back down on the table retracting all of the arms and feet.

If Doc examines the cube closely:
Spoiler:
The box contains numerous gears and levers and springs and other mechanical parts (but no electronics). Upon close examination several odd features are observed. It has no screws or welds or seams or other visible means of assembly. The arrangement of the parts appears impossible from an assembly point of view (like a ship in a bottle).

If asked, Max explains "I carved it from a single block of brass."


"You asked earlier about 'potential takes'" Max says quietly. "Well, the Captain is better at talking about the money side of the ship, but I can offer a personal observation. I have served on a warship and I've been a POW and I've served on a Free Trader that almost made wish I was still a POW." Max pauses as he searches for the right words before continuing "I've served on this ship a couple of years now, and the 'Fortunate Son' offers something that can't be expressed in credits ... infinite possibilities."

Later, as the captain signals it is time to leave, Max gets up. "Thanks for the lunch." Max places the walking box on the table as a gift for Doc and follows after the captain.

"Sure, I'll take it. I thought the sandwich was great."

[OOC: The box is just one of the silly things Max carves from blocks of brass in his spare time. He brought it along as an icebreaker to start a conversation with an Engineering Professor if he encountered one.]
  #24  
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:49 AM
DaveChase's Avatar
DaveChase DaveChase is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 2,349
Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
[Max]
...

Max decides he kinda likes 'Doc'. So when the conversation reaches a lull, he asks Doc "Do you like automata?"
Nodding, 'Yeah, I like tinkering with robotics and mechanical/electrical like things. '
Quote:

Max reaches into his pocket and removes a polished brass cube about 5 cm (2 inches) on a side with lots of carved parts and internal clock works visible through openings in the exterior of the cube. He lifts a small winding key from a recess on one of the sides, inserts it into a hole and proceeds to wind up the cube. It does nothing in his hand, but when he sets it down on the table, the cube rises on a small foot that extends from the bottom while two skinny arms extend from the side. The cube takes a 'step' using the arms and foot and then rolls forward 90 degrees landing on a foot that extends from what was the front of the cube. It repeats the step-roll process as it moves about a third of a meter across the table and then squats back down on the table retracting all of the arms and feet.

Doc examines the cube closely:
and notices that the box contains numerous gears and levers and springs and other mechanical parts (but no electronics). Upon close examination several odd features are observed. It has no screws or welds or seams or other visible means of assembly. The arrangement of the parts appears impossible from an assembly point of view (like a ship in a bottle).
Holding the box up to Max with a question look on his face, '3D printed?'
Quote:

Max explains "I carved it from a single block of brass."

"You asked earlier about 'potential takes'" Max says quietly. "Well, the Captain is better at talking about the money side of the ship, but I can offer a personal observation. I have served on a warship and I've been a POW and I've served on a Free Trader that almost made wish I was still a POW." Max pauses as he searches for the right words before continuing "I've served on this ship a couple of years now, and the 'Fortunate Son' offers something that can't be expressed in credits ... infinite possibilities."
Doc listens and smiles with a slightly distant look in his eye, and nods as Max finishes.

Quote:
Later, as the captain signals it is time to leave, Max gets up. "Thanks for the lunch." Max places the walking box on the table as a gift for Doc and follows after the captain.
Doc nods his thanks and thinks about the talented individual Max. A smile comes across Doc's face as he thinks of how such a device/toy could be of use showing it to child who is in distress while he does his doctoring work on them.
Doc pockets the cube and Doc straightens up his empty dishes on the table, wanders over to the waitress and pays his bill with a decent tip. As he leaves, she gives him a quick, friendly peck on his cheek which gets a soft laugh from Doc who then leaves the tavern.
__________________
'We have no choice about the world we are born into.
We only have a choice of the world we leave behind when we die.' Capt J.T. Kirk
  #25  
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:44 PM
DaveChase's Avatar
DaveChase DaveChase is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 2,349
Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default

OOC, moving forward with the story unless the others want to do something in between.

Doc Freeman shows up around mid morning at docking area that 'Fortunate Son' is sitting.

Wearing non-reflective sunglasses, casual kaki outfit with a shoulder bag, Doc looks at the ship. Not seeing a ground level entrance, he turns back to the docking area door way. There he pushes the ground to ship intercom, 'Doc Freeman, here to see Captain Hampton.'

Then steps back with his back to one wall where he can be seen and see his surroundings and waits.
__________________
'We have no choice about the world we are born into.
We only have a choice of the world we leave behind when we die.' Capt J.T. Kirk
  #26  
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:15 PM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 8,950
Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default Max Black (Engineer / Steward)

[Max]
Max hears the message over his comm dot and call's out to the bridge crew Max here. I'll get him and deliver him to the captain.

A figure in coveralls drops from one of the landing strut bays to the Tarmac and starts to walk towards Doc. Wiping his hands on a rag as he approaches, tools hanging from his harness, Max approaches Doc. "Maintenance on the hydraulics" he says with a shrug "good to see you again, Doc. Looking sharp. Rather than waiting for the passenger stairs, let's just sneak in through Engineering."

Max leads the Doctor through the access hatch at one of the empty hardpoints, through engineering to the crew commons and then to the captain (wherever he is at the moment).
  #27  
Old August 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM
DaveChase's Avatar
DaveChase DaveChase is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 2,349
Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
[Max]
...
Max approaches Doc. "Maintenance on the hydraulics" he says with a shrug "good to see you again, Doc. Looking sharp. Rather than waiting for the passenger stairs, let's just sneak in through Engineering."

Max leads the Doctor through the access hatch at one of the empty hardpoints, through engineering to the crew commons and then to the captain (wherever he is at the moment).
'Good Morning. Lead on.'

Doc takes note that the ship looks dirty but in working condition, kind of like a farmer that hasn't had a shower in 3 weeks.

It is obvious that the ship is in need of many minor repairs as Doc follows Max, but it just as obvious that someone, probably Max has been busy trying to fix up everything.
__________________
'We have no choice about the world we are born into.
We only have a choice of the world we leave behind when we die.' Capt J.T. Kirk
  #28  
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM
DaveChase's Avatar
DaveChase DaveChase is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 2,349
Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
'Good Morning. Lead on.'

Doc takes note that the ship looks dirty but in working condition, kind of like a farmer that hasn't had a shower in 3 weeks.

It is obvious that the ship is in need of many minor repairs as Doc follows Max, but it just as obvious that someone, probably Max has been busy trying to fix up everything.
As they are passing through the crew quarters, 'Do you think it would be possible to look at a few of the empty quarters, galley and the sickbay before we met with the Captain. I would like to know what I am potentially getting into before we discuss any terms or such.'
__________________
'We have no choice about the world we are born into.
We only have a choice of the world we leave behind when we die.' Capt J.T. Kirk
  #29  
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 8,950
Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
As they are passing through the crew quarters, 'Do you think it would be possible to look at a few of the empty quarters, galley and the sickbay before we met with the Captain. I would like to know what I am potentially getting into before we discuss any terms or such.'
"Sure thing" Max replies and proceeds to take Doc on a tour of 'crew country', the 'passenger area' and the 'sick bay'. For better or worse, Max is a straight shooter and proceeds to describe the spaces from an engineer's perspective, pointing out what has been recently upgraded, what still needs fixing and what just can't afford to be fixed at this time. Max makes no apologies for any of it, simply viewing and describing the ship as 'a work in progress.'

[Along the way, Max keeps an eye out for the captain.]

Max ends the tour in Sick Bay since he figures that is where Doc will want to spend the most time checking things out. Max calls Doc's attention to the automated gurney "Sorry this doesn't work right. I took a shot at trying to repair it. Mechanically, it appears sound and I can manually control the arms and such. The electronics appear to be functioning for the most part ... at least according to the self diagnostics that I got it to run. There's something hinky with the computer/mechanical interface that the basic diagnostic software can't identify and I just don't have the skill to identify myself. It'll probably need a computer or robotics tech to find what's wrong. Robots are such a powerful labor multiplier that I plan on making all of the ship's robots a high priority. Right after the Power Plant and Drives."
  #30  
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
DaveChase's Avatar
DaveChase DaveChase is offline
Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Central Kansas
Posts: 2,349
Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
"Sure thing" Max replies and proceeds to take Doc on a tour of 'crew country', the 'passenger area' and the 'sick bay'.
...
Doc listens and smiles in places, to him the ship seems well lived in at one time. Now it looks and smells like a stadium after a huge sports event where everyone got carried away but the trash.

Quote:
Max ends the tour in Sick Bay since he figures that is where Doc will want to spend the most time checking things out. Max calls Doc's attention to the automated gurney "Sorry this doesn't work right. I took a shot at trying to repair it. Mechanically, it appears sound and I can manually control the arms and such. The electronics appear to be functioning for the most part ... at least according to the self diagnostics that I got it to run. There's something hinky with the computer/mechanical interface that the basic diagnostic software can't identify and I just don't have the skill to identify myself. It'll probably need a computer or robotics tech to find what's wrong. Robots are such a powerful labor multiplier that I plan on making all of the ship's robots a high priority. Right after the Power Plant and Drives."
Doc does not looked to surprised at the state the Sick Bay is in after hearing the Captain's short tell of the ship the day before. He actually looks kind of excited at seeing the robot gurney. Listening to Max describe it, Doc actually takes some time to look at it, 'Not in terrible bad shape for what it is. Looked like it has missed several annual inspections. By the serial number it is one of the early models. Probably needs a few connections cleaned up, updated software and a good healthy cleaning or two.'
Straightening up and checking out the drug storage lockers, 'I not an expert by any means but I do know a bit of robotics, and mechanical/electrical medical repair.'

'Wow, it looks like someone had a party and didn't leave anything behind.'

Commenting on the drug storage lockers, there appears to be more dust in them than in the sick bay itself.

As they head back toward galley, Doc waves at the two crew quarters closest to the passenger area, 'Are either one of these spoken for yet? If I decide to join up, I would like one of these two rooms since I will need to close to the sick bay if duty calls.'

As they get back to the galley area, 'Well Chief Engineer and Chief Steward, fix me a black coffee so I can see the quality of the ship. I hear tell in the Navy that the ship functions only as good as it's coffee tastes.'

While sitting and waiting for Max to get some coffee for him, smiling, 'I remember one 1st officer telling that the coffee on his ship was so good and so thick that the Quartermaster often used it as engine oil substitute. Said it lubed both required parts to make the Navy function efficiently.'
__________________
'We have no choice about the world we are born into.
We only have a choice of the world we leave behind when we die.' Capt J.T. Kirk
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SBRD] IC Game: Chapter 01 (Devonia) SpaceBadger Space Badger's Reaver's Deep 968 October 13th, 2013 12:31 AM
[SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 SpaceBadger Space Badger's Reaver's Deep 767 October 13th, 2013 12:29 AM
Once more hiring a player for CT in NJ Commander Truestar Recruiting Office 1 June 18th, 2009 10:31 AM
Hiring Costs Troubadour The Lone Star 5 January 22nd, 2004 11:45 PM
Doc's feeling a little bitchy DrSkull T20 - Traveller for the D20 System 5 November 6th, 2002 02:19 PM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010-2013 Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.