Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
ErianFrost Citizen

Hey guys!

I'm SpaceBadger's oldest son (19), and this is my first Traveller game (and my first PbP).

==============================
Kalos Thar
6A7863 - Human - Age 30
Free Trader First Officer, 3 terms

Mechanic-1, CargoHandler-0, Handgun-2, Bribery-2, Trader-2, Astrogator-2, Broker-2, Ship's Boat-0, Pilot-1, Streetwise-1, JoT-1, Admin-2, Forgery-0, Holdout/Search-2, Gunner-2

Cr170,000, VaccSuit, Travellers' Aid Society

Kalos Thar left home at age eighteen, leaping into the Free Traders. Originally hired as a mechanic, he was swiftly promoted to 4th Officer. A series of unfortunate events taught him the value of a good sidearm, the art of greasing palms, and the finer points of making shady deals.

Kalos served on several different vessels during is 12 years as a Free Trader, learning the trade and working his way up to Second Officer. He had some doubts about the reputation of the Far Trader Mercury's Shadow, but signed on when offered a promotion to First Officer.

Kalos had already had extensive experience with smuggling, but was dismayed to learn of some of the things that Mercury's Shadow specialized in: illegal weapons and hard drugs, mostly sold to organized criminal gangs.

The final straw came when the ship was boarded by a small customs inspection team in a backwater system. In Kalos's experience, if you got caught smuggling you paid the fines and moved on. Now he learned another difference in smuggling serious contraband: there would be no surrender when conviction meant serious prison-time rather than fines. When one of the inspection team found a hidden compartment full of Tetrazombase, the guns came out, and a bloody firefight left the inspectors plus two crewmen dead.

Kalos wanted no part of the violent criminal gang that was the Mercury's Shadow's Captain and crew. At the next port he jumped ship and checked the "Crew Wanted" listings at the Port Office. He found the Fortunate Son, which was in need of a First Officer and was headed out to the frontier of Reavers' Deep, both of which suited Kalos perfectly. He signed on, found the Captain and crew to his liking, and is quite content with his new home.

Equipment:
Gauss Pistol, 3 mags of needles
Body Pistol
Dagger
Mesh Armor Jacket
VaccSuit
Rope
Towel
==========================
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Sam, what do you see as Henry's role in the crew? I saw your bit about guarding the ship during landings... is he sort of a general thug-as-needed? He could also be an Assistant Engineer and back-up Pilot, IIRC. Third Officer?
He's got Jayne's job!

Actually, he is willing to do whatever on board is needed. He is certainly willing to act as a back-up engineer and pilot, especially small craft pilot when needed. Third officer sounds a bit official for Henry's tastes, but he'll wear any tag you give him. He's a little low on funds....

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

The size of the drives means the ship needs a second engineer, though only one might need to be in the drive room to reset the fuses or whatever when we hit the jump button.

That, back-up pilot, and all around gunsel seem right. We need to get him a fancy rifle named Vera, too.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:08 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

LOL! Did neither of you notice the name of Chris's commando/sniper/security guy?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Oh man, I just looked at it again... this is feeling like we are flying on Serenity more and more. I'm going to get me an Ice Planet and look for some garage sales to get chairs and a dining room table for the lounge.

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Heh. We don't have enough hot women on board to be Serenity. Waaaaay too much testosterone.
Old July 29th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Heh. We don't have enough hot women on board to be Serenity. Waaaaay too much testosterone.
Have we checked Doc's luggage yet???

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
Have we checked Doc's luggage yet???
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Oh man, I just looked at it again... this is feeling like we are flying on Serenity more and more.
LOL! You should see my ATU-in-progress (described some here, beginning at post #26 through the end of thread). One of my major design goals for that TU is the Firefly-like feel that was requested by Michael and Chris when we ran some Fudge Traveller back in November-December.

But I keep having Better Ideas and making changes in that setting, and I was really jonesing to GM some Traveller, so I came up with the idea for this campaign [SBRD] with the idea that it would be in the OTU and thus require very little prep time... then of course I had to go and spoil that by deciding to set it almost 2000 years in the "past" from the mainstream OTU. (We need a smiley for "What was I thinking?" )

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:46 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

I know how that goes! The biggest reason I never got into the OTU was because of how much work I kept investing in my ATU. Even when not running games in it I still tinkered and tinkered and tinkered. Don't we all do that?

I did finally push my campaign forward 30 years so I could have a big interstellar war which allowed me to redo some maps, introduce the Terran Empire, bring in a new major alien race, and open up a new region of space to exploration. Keep the old and tack on the new, then gently nudge the players over to where I want to play now. Everybody wins.

Closed Thread