Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old July 25th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Leo P. Henry
Free Trader/Other
765A47 Age 46 7 Terms Cr 2000
Laser Carbine-3, Vacc Suit-2, Blade -1, Gambling-1, Brawling-1, Engineering-1,
Pilot-1, Streetwise-1, Tactics-1, Zero-G Combat-1, Snub Pistol-1

Laser Carbine,
Auto Snub pistol in shoulder harness, loaded with Tranq, w/ 2 extra HEAP mags.
Box of SLugs for Snub Pistol
Blade

"Henry" as he is know does not talk about his past. He is a man of medium build, with more than a few scars. His eyes are disconcertingly of mixed color. That and the logo of a defunct merchant firm on his lower left cheek give him a decidedly asymetrical cast. The term "crooked" comes to mind.
He is badly in need of a hair cut, and it looks as if his last was done with the snips out of a metalworking tool kit, though that was not recently enough to remove the last couple of cm or so of his mud brown hair that is still dyed a somewhat sickly purple.

Henry wears ship's coveralls of uncertain parentage, that seem a bit too big for him, with a few rough repairs of what are apparently bullet holes. He wears his blade on his belt; it is a ceramic one, in a non-metallic sheath. He is happy to stow this inside his coveralls where it is prohibited.

He gets uncomfortable if anyone mentions gambling, but his discomfort will not necessarily keep him out of the game. He is ready to join in any shipboard tasks, especially bridge and black gang, but is clearly the security type. He has a talent for telling bad jokes, a weakness for redheads, and no emotional intelligence at all. His luck with women is about as bad as his luck at cards. He has a soft spot for ancient religions, and though he is generally as areligious in his conduct, speech, and thought, he will occasionally be spotted sneaking off to some early morning service or other, apparently selected at random.

He is always happy to agree to anchor watch when the crew's at liberty, and will cradle his well-worn laser with a look as if he were at peace...pacing the deck plates, looking for the angles.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:41 AM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Maxwell 'Max' Black
UPP 7A5C(5)(3)* at age 26
Black hair (very short); Pale skin; Blue/Green eyes**

SKILLS:
Administration-1, Artistic-0, Electronics -0, Engineering-3, Gravitics-0, Liaison-1, Mechanical-1, Ship's Tactics-0, Shotgun-0, Steward-2, Streetwise-0, Vacc Suit-1

EQUIMENT:
85,000 credits
a shotgun
(more TBD as I spend some money)

DESCRIPTION AND PERSONALITY:
Max wears common grey coveralls, black boots and black tactical webbing with pockets and loops sporting various small common tools always in reach. The only thing unusual about his outfit is the overwhelming ‘military’ character of it … very short cropped hair, clean shave, perfectly straight sharp creases, the polished boots with pants legs tucked neatly inside. He always seems dressed for inspection by some hard ass drill instructor.

He is polite and somewhat withdrawn around strangers, but friendly and outgoing with anyone who takes the time to get to know him. While generally optimistic and always ready for a laugh, he takes his engineering section seriously … the engine room is always as ready for inspection as the Chief Engineer. He is patient when instructing others, but quick to anger at deliberately sloppy work. Somewhat sensitive about his past, he will generally not initiate any conversations about it, but will freely discuss it if asked.

Those familiar with combat who see him fight, will immediately recognize his lack of combat training … even by Merchant standards.

When in his work uniform, the only unusual feature is the faintest hint of a tattoo at his left wrist and near his collar. When he removes his shirt/coveralls, a continuous tattoo is visible from his left wrist across his upper left chest and back. If asked, he will explain that from his left wrist to elbow represents the achievements of his first term, from elbow to shoulder represents his second term, and his upper left chest and back represent his third term. It is a trait from his clan of Reavers.

As a Steward, Max likes to bake.

HISTORY (Common Knowledge Version):
Max was born on Tyrrhenum (Daibei 1615), but remembers nothing of it.
He was raised in the Drexiltharan Empire as a ‘Reaver’ and served on a warship.
He was convicted of Piracy on Shiishiga (Daibei 1218) and released after some local media stir.
He has been an Engineer and Steward aboard Free Traders for three years and served on this ship for the last two years.

Beyond these basics, Max is friendly once he gets to know you and will have discussed anything of his past from THIS TOPIC with anyone who has served on this ship more than two weeks … if you asked about his past.

* NOTE: When interacting with 'Reavers' (members of the Reevers Deep Piracy/Raiding sub-culture), Max has an Edu of 7 and a Soc of 8.
However, most honest people do not share these values and tend to view 'Pirate/Reavers' with fear and suspicion,
so most people, including local police, will view Max as Edu 5 and Soc 3.

** NOTE: His eye color appears to be either Blue or Green depending in the spectrum of light in the room. It is a pigmentation quirk resulting from trace amounts of rare earth elements absorbed on his birthworld.

Last edited by atpollard; August 21st, 2013 at 05:16 PM..
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:43 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Excellent - especially since the ship actually needs two engineers due to the size of the drives.

Now we need a navigator. And someone with sensors and comms.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:00 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Now we need a navigator. And someone with sensors and comms.
I believe that Fritz may have those covered for you, unless he decides on a different character from the one he was favoring yesterday. He is incommunicado for a few days traveling.

Although a little redundancy never hurts, when your ship is far from civilization... (not that you are necessarily going on any great voyages, but even a few parsecs is "far from civilization" if someone important dies - like the pilot).

NPC crew can be supplied as needed if there are still gaps.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:57 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

No kidding - spare parts of all kinds are highly useful "Out There".

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:27 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Here is the public character sheet for Gayne Maize, who will be played by ChaosBennett:

========================
Gayne Maize
AAA633 - Human - Age 30
Ex-Army Commando, 3 terms, MCUF-2, PH-1
CbtRifle-3, Dagger-2, Brawling-1, Demolition-2, Survival-0, Recon-1, Vaccsuit-1, Zero-G-0, JumpTroop-0, Commo-1, Medic-1, Security-1

Gayne Maize was raised poor and uneducated, but enlisted in the Army at age 18 and was quickly chosen for Commando School, where he excelled at combat skills, especially Combat Rifleman. He earned two Citations for Meritorious Conduct Under Fire and one Purple Heart during his career, which involved numerous special-ops missions behind enemy lines.
==============================

Gayne doesn't have much in the way of ship skills, but could assist in the sickbay or serve a bridge watch on comms. I expect that his main duty is serving as security when some part of the crew is in a risky situation, picking up or delivering especially valuable cargo, or negotiating w someone who is potentially violent. He would also be very handy to have around when the crew wants to blow something up.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

I am waiting on Spacebadger to slice up my character (I should probably trade one or more of my Nav levels for Comm) before I present her fully, but here's the gist:

Donoma Lafitte
Brown hair, brown eyes, light chocolate skin, 1.72m, looks like 55kg, >30yo
Subsector line experience, and some terms on Free Traders
Navigator with Engineering/Pilot/Steward ratings
She owns a grav bike.
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:59 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

ErianFrost will be playing Kalos Thar, a Free Trader First Officer who brings the Fortunate Son crew some helpful skills in Trader, Broker, Admin, and Bribery, along w the necessary background in Deck officer skills. He joined the Fortunate Son after the change of Captain and name, at a port on the way to Reavers' Deep where the ship stopped for supplies and a few new crew.

His background is all written, and as soon as he approves a minor change that I made, I expect that he will be posting the public version here.

So, here is a brief recap of the crew so far:
Hampton Rhodes, Captain, Chief Pilot
Kalos Thar, First Officer, Trader/Broker
Donoma Lafitte, Navigator (Second Officer ???)
Max Black, Chief Engineer and Chief Steward
Sam 'Doc' Freeman, Ship's Surgeon (and Cargo Supervisor??)
Leo P. Henry, (crew position???)
Gayne Maize, security guard, assistant medic

That's seven, so I know I'm missing one... I haven't had any character info from LiNeNoIse.

That is assuming that everyone wants to start out already on board as a member of the crew. If you want your PC to start out in Reavers' Deep or someplace along the ship's path to get there, let me know... we need to work out some plan that will get you aboard ship to participate. For those already aboard, you should decide if you were in the crew of the Close Call a few months ago when there was a change of Captain and change of name to Fortunate Son, or whether you joined Fortunate Son afterward when they needed to fill some empty crew slots.

Sam, what do you see as Henry's role in the crew? I saw your bit about guarding the ship during landings... is he sort of a general thug-as-needed? He could also be an Assistant Engineer and back-up Pilot, IIRC. Third Officer?

Also will add two or three NPCs for guards, gunners, cargo-handlers, after I see Sabredog's ship design and deckplans and what more crew is needed. As Hans noted, these are also handy for "holding the horses" or guarding the ship while the PCs are off doing more interesting activities. Maybe a few of those robots that Sam was talking about, too.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 28th, 2013 at 03:27 PM..
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
Ok, lets assume that some of us have already been on the ship for a while (a Jump or more of time), how did we get there?

My suggestion is that the ship's captain (player) kind of layout a mini prelude to the game start (working with the GM of course).

He skipped and got a ship and some crew out of the bargain, but how many of that former crew stayed?

When he got to his first planet (or the first civilized planet that he stopped at), what did he do then?

How did he advertise the need for new crew (like me a Doctor)?

Nothing extensive or highly detailed needed, just a backstory to show/explain how we all get where we are when the actual story starts. Doing this will make it easier for us to jump right into the game play.

And do not forgot our pay/salaries. As a Doctor (medic 4) I think my character would expect either a bit more pay per month than the 2KCr or some extra perks for hiring on.
Given the WHEN and WHERE of the adventure (ship, crew and location), I suspect that this would not be a collection of individuals looking for a corporate career path with regular raises, quarterly bonuses, a good Heathcare plan and a pension.

These should be more like the people who quit their jobs to follow Indiana Jones into the Amazon Rainforest because of a rumor and a treasure map ... I suggest more of a 'piece of the action' philosophy than a 'steady salary'.

YMMV.
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Given the WHEN and WHERE of the adventure (ship, crew and location), I suspect that this would not be a collection of individuals looking for a corporate career path with regular raises, quarterly bonuses, a good Heathcare plan and a pension.

These should be more like the people who quit their jobs to follow Indiana Jones into the Amazon Rainforest because of a rumor and a treasure map ... I suggest more of a 'piece of the action' philosophy than a 'steady salary'.

YMMV.
Well, your PC, Max Black, was already working aboard the Close Call as Chief Engineer and Chief Steward, and presumably getting a salary for that (although w your nice description of the sloppy running of the ship, I suspect that those monthly paychecks might have often been a bit late or short ).

Free Traders in general don't have the job security or benefits of big corporate Merchant Line employees, but they do still expect to get paid.

See my reply to Dave in the other thread for more.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Closed Thread