Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Questionnaire response from Fritz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
Our six players are Fritz_Brown; samuelvss; DaveChase; ErianFrost; LiNeNoiSe; and atpollard.
*waves to everyone*

Quote:
1) Physical Location and Historic Time Setting
a) Spinward Marches (after 5th Frontier War)
b) Reavers' Deep (either current or during Long Night)
c) unexplored new sector (non-OTU, but close)
d) other suggestions?
e) any of the above

Quote:
2) What Do You Want to Do?
Note: ships will be provided as appropriate if no one gets one in chargen, so don't fret on that
a) free trader crew
b) corporate or freelance troubleshooter team
c) special ops or spy team
d) law enforcement or private investigation/security team
e) scouts/explorers in new unexplored sector
f) other suggestions?
g) all of the above

Quote:
3) What Level of Realism?
a) Level One: Gritty Realism (default Traveller)
b) Level Two: Light Cinematic (Firefly)
c) Level Three: Medium Cinematic (Burn Notice)
b) I am not above a little unrealism to make the story work.

Quote:
4) How Much GM Direction of Activity?
a) sandbox, w occasional patrons or rumors available
b) prepped adventures
c) plot-arc of connected adventures
d) a&b - works for me, but I'm easy; you can do c) if you want
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:30 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
One more thing, on the "free trader crew" option I just meant that this would be an independent ship, not corporate. Not necessarily a Type A or variant ship; could be an old Type R or something else appropriate to the size of the group.
OK, we keep our thievn' n' murderin' to those what deserve it. But where do we get the ship for the Free Trader type option? Chargen or patron?

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:41 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
OK, we keep our thievn' n' murderin' to those what deserve it. But where do we get the ship for the Free Trader type option? Chargen or patron?
I think w the size of crew we have here (eight players now), y'all are going to need something bigger than a Type A or variant. At least a Type R boosted to J-2 (so you don't have to mess around w internal tanks like in TTA), maybe even something bigger like a 600 or 800 tonner.

Since something that big doesn't come as a Mustering Out benefit for anyone, I'll just supply it as something that y'all have at the start. Maybe if anyone does get ship benefits in chargen, we can just interpret that as letting that PC own a larger share in the ship?

So... let's say y'all are going to have some sort of merchant ship, in the 400 to 800 ton range, at least J-2... What do you want to name it?

I think the ship's name would make a handy title for the campaign overall, giving us something better to tag our posts with instead of "SpaceBadger's NoName PbP". There was a great thread that I saw recently (actually an old thread brought back by necromancy) with lots of suggested ship names, or y'all can just make something up.

So come on now, let's have some name suggestions and get this ship christened!
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 23rd, 2013 at 03:21 AM..
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:14 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

To summarize the questionnaire responses:

1) Physical Location and Historic Time Setting
Most of you said you didn't care. Sam expressed that the Spinward Marches would be good bc everyone would be familiar w the sector; LiNeNoIse voted against the Marches on the same principle, that it had been "done to death".

I think I'll break the tie by declaring for Reavers' Deep, at the most interesting historical period I can figure. This will fit well with what some of you expressed as wanting to do in the campaign (those that gave an opinion). I'm thinking of sometime during the Long Night, when several small pocket empires are growing there, and the Aslan have just made contact. I'll have to check some historical notes to figure out an exact date.

Again, most said this didn't matter, although LiNeNoIse voted against law enforcement. ATPollard suggested a Burn Notice or Firefly type group, which was also in line with the wishes of Sabredog, ErianFrost, and my son who hasn't made his CotI account yet.

That sounds to me like y'all would be best served by working together as a Free Trader crew, although on something larger than a standard Type A (see post above). You could haul cargoes and passengers around, run into the occasional "package trade" situation, run missions for patrons, etc. Pretty wide open as to whatever you want to do - maybe even some trade pioneer exploration to some of those worlds that have lost touch w civilization.

3) What Level of Realism?
Most didn't care, Dave said either 1 or 2, LiNeNoIse said 2 or 3, Sam said 2... So it looks like the most common vote, acceptable to all, would be for Level Two: Light Cinematic, which I defined as about the level of realism you'd see on Firefly. Mal and his crew aren't necessarily better or more skilled than everyone else they meet, but sometimes they are a bit more lucky. I think we play this by generating normal characters, but then having a rather sparse Drama Point mechanic. I'll write something up and post it in my blog for comments before we start playing.

4) How Much GM Direction of Activity?
I think Dave was the only one who expressed an opinion, suggesting mostly sandbox with some running plot arcs. I'll interpret that as most of the time y'all make your own way, doing whatever you want, but every now and then I'll throw out some rumors or a patron and y'all can decide whether to follow up or not. As to the continuing plot arcs, we'll see what develops as we play - if you make enemies, you may meet them again later; if you make friends, they may help you out later, or ask you to help them. (Oh, almost forgot another of Dave's suggestions; if somebody has a character idea with a background that might lead to some continuing plot, by all means let me know and we can work it in!)

Thanks for all of the fast responses on this! It appears the ball is now back in my court, as I need to get a couple of PDFs made that you might want to use in chargen (although feel free to go ahead and read the chargen rules that I have up on my blog, and get started if you want).

Oh yeah, one more thing I need from y'all: What do you want to name your ship?

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 23rd, 2013 at 03:35 PM..
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Since something that big doesn't come as a Mustering Out benefit for anyone, I'll just supply it as something that y'all have at the start. Maybe if anyone does get ship benefits in chargen, we can just interpret that as letting that PC own a larger share in the ship?
If somebody is going to give us a ship that big, they'll probably want us to keep to some kind of schedule.

Quote:
So come on now, let's have some name suggestions and get this ship christened!
How about The Minnow?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
I think I'll break the tie by declaring for Reavers' Deep, at the most interesting historical period I can figure. This will fit well with what some of you expressed as wanting to do in the campaign (those that gave an opinion). I'm thinking of sometime during the Long Night, when several small pocket empires are growing there, and the Aslan have just made contact. I'll have to check some historical notes to figure out an exact date.
I was actually kinda hoping for that. I've never messed around there before.

Quote:
also in line with the wishes of Sabredog, ErianFrost, and my son who hasn't made his CotI account yet.
Didn't know your kids were gonna be playing. Thought it was going to be a bunch of grumpy old men. There goes my salty spacedog routine.

Quote:
you might want to use in chargen (although feel free to go ahead and read the chargen rules that I have up on my blog, and get started if you want).
I've got some ideas, but I was waiting to see who wants to play what. I don't particularly care. Playing a gunner would be fine with me.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
That sounds to me like y'all would be best served by working together as a Free Trader crew, although on something larger than a standard Type A (see post above). You could haul cargoes and passengers around, run into the occasional "package trade" situation, run missions for patrons, etc. Pretty wide open as to whatever you want to do - maybe even some trade pioneer exploration to some of those worlds that have lost touch w civilization.
Just one observation from past experience.
Free Trader crews spend a lot of Time and Skills dedicated to trade ... you have those darn mortgage payments just around the corner. I have done that and it is fun, but you might also want to conciser taking a radically different approach:

A 40 year old Far Trader, paid off, that serves as the vehicle to move the group from point A to point B. Perhaps an old retired smuggling ship or blockade runner. It has more than enough space for an eight man crew with enough extra room to carry a few passengers or a small cargo if that is needed as part of the adventure.

But the money to support the group comes from the adventures themselves. You are always running into somebody that knows one of the crew and needs something ... or some local government that has this problem that needs investigating ... or someone is making us an offer that we can't refuse ...

It removes the pressure of a mortgage payment and the NEED for 'accountants in space', justifies a ship that could never make ends meet as a commercial trader (J3, 3G?), and leaves the door open to a few Ex-Marine Sniper or Scientist type characters that are hard to justify on a merchant ship. This ship could be more of a mobile 'solution' in search of problems that need fixing. 'Mercenaries' for 'non-military' problems.

Ultimately, the ref needs to come up with the adventures ... I was just trying to think out of the box to open up more possibilities to the referee and the group.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

And now a reply from ErianFrost, which seems to go along with most of the other replies, except that he would like more law enforcer/troubleshooter activity - sorry, Erian, I think you are outvoted on law enforcement or corporate connections, but I expect that some freelance troubleshooting might be part of the group's repertoire!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErianFrost
1) Reaver's Deep sounds like fun

2) Either B, C, or D would be pretty enjoyable -- but I gotta say B is my preference.

3) B

4) Any

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 23rd, 2013 at 04:56 PM..
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
A 40 year old Far Trader, paid off, that serves as the vehicle to move the group from point A to point B. Perhaps an old retired smuggling ship or blockade runner. It has more than enough space for an eight man crew with enough extra room to carry a few passengers or a small cargo if that is needed as part of the adventure.

But the money to support the group comes from the adventures themselves. You are always running into somebody that knows one of the crew and needs something ... or some local government that has this problem that needs investigating ... or someone is making us an offer that we can't refuse ...

It removes the pressure of a mortgage payment and the NEED for 'accountants in space', justifies a ship that could never make ends meet as a commercial trader (J3, 3G?), and leaves the door open to a few Ex-Marine Sniper or Scientist type characters that are hard to justify on a merchant ship. This ship could be more of a mobile 'solution' in search of problems that need fixing. 'Mercenaries' for 'non-military' problems.
I agree. Unless y'all really want to have the pressure of making those regular payments, I think an older vessel, fully ppaid off, would be better as an adventuring ship. I think we can work out the backstory on this after y'all have made your characters. As I suggested before, since characters who get a ship in chargen won't actually be getting that ship, maybe they should be compensated by getting a larger ownership share in the group's ship. I'm sure we can work something out.

(And you'll still have some money pressure, paying ship expenses for fuel, maintenance, and the occasional breakdown that goes w having an old ship... )

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe View Post
Didn't know your kids were gonna be playing. Thought it was going to be a bunch of grumpy old men. There goes my salty spacedog routine.
Don't worry about it. They are aged 17 and 20, both play lots of online games, and have been exposed to far more saltiness than is permitted by CotI rules anyway.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 23rd, 2013 at 03:42 PM..
Closed Thread