Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default [SBRD] Prep: setting discussion

OK, we have our six players now (and two invites not responded), so I'm finished sending out invites.

I just sent y'all PMs w the questionnaire on what kind of setting y'all want to play in, and I know I requested sending your answers back to me, but then I thought that instead of me correlating and communicating back to y'all, maybe it is time to just start a thread here and hash it out on the forum where we can all see each other's suggestions.

So, if you send your response to me, I'll copy it here; or y'all can just post your responses in this thread so we can all discuss them.

(Plus once we figure out what kind of campaign this will be, we need to come up with a Campaign Name so we can tag threads with it!)
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; September 18th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: altered title
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe
1. d) Really no preference, but the Spinward Marches has been done to death.

2. f) Again no preference, except I'm old school - tend to be somewhat shady if not outright criminal

3. b) or c) It's a game

4. again no preference.

In case anyone missed it in the blog notes, I really don't want to GM a hardcore criminal gang like pirates or assassins, or really any group that would get an "Evil" alignment in a fantasy game.

That doesn't exclude breaking the occasional law in a good cause, or even somewhat shady behavior as LiNeNoIse put it - and any Free Trader will tell you that smuggling isn't really a crime. Let's just not make criminal action the focus of the campaign, OK?

Edit: And of course if you are helping some rebel group against an evil government, that government would certainly call you criminals, but I wouldn't. Oh well, I'm sure you get the idea.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

One more thing, on the "free trader crew" option I just meant that this would be an independent ship, not corporate. Not necessarily a Type A or variant ship; could be an old Type R or something else appropriate to the size of the group.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
That doesn't exclude breaking the occasional law in a good cause, or even somewhat shady behavior as LiNeNoIse put it - and any Free Trader will tell you that smuggling isn't really a crime. Let's just not make criminal action the focus of the campaign, OK?
That's fine. I just didn't want to be a cop. Like to keep my options open.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:33 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Here is Dave's response to the Qs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
1) Physical Location and Historic Time Setting
a) Spinward Marches (after 5th Frontier War)
b) Reavers' Deep (either current or during Long Night)
c) unexplored new sector (non-OTU, but close)
d) other suggestions?
Does not matter to me.

2) What Do You Want to Do?

Again does not matter

Quote:
3) What Level of Realism?
a) Level One: Gritty Realism (default Traveller)
b) Level Two: Light Cinematic (Firefly)
c) Level Three: Medium Cinematic (Burn Notice)
B or A

Quote:
4) How Much GM Direction of Activity?
a) sandbox, w occasional patrons or rumors available
b) prepped adventures
c) plot-arc of connected adventures
a with maybe a bit of c

Only possible suggestion is if all the players are not wanting a story arc is maybe have one player who has a long term arc that takes the group through.

I often use a NPC for this like a ship's captain or patron, but a player who has a set goal that needs others to help them get the goal or one who likes taking friends/people along is cool too.

Nobles are fun for this, as they have some desire or noble errand that they need to do and do not want to do it alone or need help or both.

Dave Chase

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:43 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

I am wide open to anything.
I just like playing characters and interacting, so anything but a post human robotic ship or a fleet of garbage scows works for me.

Given at least one shady character request, what about a Burn Notice or Firefly type of group ... just a bit of a down on their luck group "hanging together because it is better than hanging separately" (paraphrased Ben Franklin quote).

If someone really wants to be a Noble, then they might be the story arc that recruited the members of the group in the first place ... like the Leverage team.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:54 PM

Gallery : 42
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Not that it matters a great deal, because play is still play, but what version of Traveller are we using?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:07 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

LOL! It is starting to look like I'll need to make most of the campaign setting decisions myself! But I am trying to keep an open mind and not start planning until we hear from our other four players (yes, we are up to seven now, or rather six with a strong maybe).

Well, in my PM I requested responses in the next day or two, so let's wait awhile longer before deciding on a setting and starting chargen.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:14 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Not that it matters a great deal, because play is still play, but what version of Traveller are we using?
Classic Traveller, LBBs and The Traveller Book. A few houserules - I guess I need to get that into the blog.

Edit 3: I don't even have T5 yet. If I'm thinking of pulling in anything from there or elsewhere, I'll discuss it w the group before just saying, "OK, this works differently now."

I'm considering just keeping most of the "numbers" stuff "behind the screen" and see how that works. Y'all just tell me what you want to do and give me a 2d6 roll, and I tell you how it works out. Seems like that would cut out some of the back and forth and save time in PbP format. Obviously requires some level of player trust of the GM, but I hope to earn that.

What do y'all think about that?

Edit: Also, if a character is skilled at something I don't mind an OOC question to the GM along the lines of "What do I think my chances are of succeeding if I do X?" Skilled people ought to be able to estimate that sort of thing based on experience. Unskilled people may ask the same kind of question, but I'd probably use one of those Truth-SomeTruth-No-Truth rolls in deciding how to answer them.

Edit 2: Picturing the academic type w no vacc-suit or Zero-G experience who wants to know his chances on a free jump from one ship to another. GM rolls badly. "Umm, sure, go ahead, should be no problem..."

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:31 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Hmm, looking back at PMs from Sam, there was a vote for the Marches and for Light Cinematic Realism. He didn't really say what kind of activity would be preferred.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Closed Thread