Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old May 6th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+
Small Starburst

Chuckle.

"As always you have anticipated my needs. You are a marvel Barnsley. I sometimes wonder how we would manage without you."

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; April 7th, 2014 at 08:43 PM..
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+
Default Magnus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Posted on the society section of the TNS site:

"Wanted: Recently deactivated Royal Marine for duty as Business Manager. Requires discretion, intelligence, and a strong sense of organization. Wounded veterans given preference. Unacknowledged children of nobility ok. Contact Ser Barnesly at comm# Barnesly7569AA-Permatic with references, discharge papers, and resume."
A Michael O'Rourke, Gunny, RM, sends in his papers. O'Rourke is posted in OOC.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Visit TomeGnome's Blog
TomeGnome Citizen
Small Starburst [FS 1725] Permatic (date tbd) Highport Main Concourse

Permatic Highport: an orbital terminal marking the beginnings and endings of a thousand journeys every minute, thronged with sophonts of every conceivable description on a multitude of errands, navigating the shops, restaurants, theaters, arcades, and other enterprises aimed at loosening travel-numbed purses. Near the majority of the less-expensive eateries sits the food court, where even now a slim, attractive brunette is moving purposefully...

“I got you an Astro-Burger and a coffee.” The young woman peered at the steaming cup in her hand. “Well, they said it was coffee. It seems too ultra-violet to actually be coffee, but I didn't think you'd mind.” She sat down at the extruded polymer table, sliding the cup over to the squat, scowling man who was already seated there.

“Ah,” grunted the man, opening his sandwich packet. “Tri-Astro with Leek. Excellent choice, Lita.” He took a healthy sip from the cup and closed his eyes a moment. “Not coffee. Caffeinated. That, in the end, is all that matters.”

Seating herself, the woman adjusted her tight-fitting black smart-suit with one hand and deftly unwrapped her own sandwich-packet with the other. She focused both eyes, one brown and natural, the other obviously artificial and glowing orange, on her companion.

“Sending me to get food did not cause me to forget our conversation, Professor. I think that Commander Ribexis-Surd has a point. If the resources exist, and it would be no hardship, why not?”

“Spoken with the confident ignorance of youth. I like my body.” He glanced down at his open travel suit, loose, brown, and travel-rumpled. “Well, 'like' is a strong word. But I am accustomed to it.”

“Your prosthetic body could be externally identical,” Lita responded, thinking inwardly Goddess knows why you'd prefer that, though.

“Yes, yes. But it inclines one to think of aping ones' betters. I have no interest in being a parrot-monkey in formal wear, entertaining for the novelty. As a human among robots, I am myself. As a robot with an organic brain, what would I be then? Think about the works of Carabin, when she said that the...”

Lita held up a hand. “When you start quoting, Dr. Ribexis, I know that the matter is closed. Or, at least, tabled. I've read Carabin on synthetic identity. Frankly, I think that you're just afraid of the surgery. But it really is none of my business.”

“Indeed,” agreed Dr. Ribexis, chewing somewhat mournfully on his sandwich.

Noticing his expression, Lita asked, “Is the food not to your liking?”

“It is fine,” responded Ribexis. “It is the environment that is affecting my digestion.” He gestured with his sandwich, getting a bit of sauce on his trouser-leg. “All the same. Extruded furniture, same shops, same beings, same food, same everything. We have been through six star-ports so far, and they've all been exactly the same.”

“It would help,” Lita responded in an acid undertone, “if you knew why you were traveling. Then we could, I don't know, leave the starport occasionally, look at actual planets.”

Ribexis nodded absently. “If I knew what I was looking for, I wouldn't be traveling. I'd be going. But I take your point. When we arrive at...” he closed his eyes in thought. “Well, wherever we're going next, we'll spend some time on-world. Talk to some beings, read local works, that sort of thing.”

“Why not here? We're in the center of the Empire!”

Pulling a face, Ribexis shook his head. “That's why not. You grew up here as well, you know what it is like.” Seeing her querying eyebrow, he continued.
“The population density of the surface of Permatic is approximately 27000 sophonts per square kilometer. But that is deceptive. With half the planet's surface under water, it is actually closer to 55000 sophonts per square kilometer. But that is if they were spread out evenly, like the sauce on your sandwich. They are not. They are stacked atop each other in the City, where density reaches almost 150,000 sophonts per square kilometer. That means that for every square meter of surface, there are 150 beings of all races, shapes, and sizes attempting to stand there simultaneously. It is unnerving in the extreme.”

“There are a million square meters in a square kilometer, professor, not a thousand. So the actual calculation would be..." Ribexis glared at Lita, who grinned. "All right, I take your point: it's crowded. But as you said, you grew up here."

“True, but I spent the last three decades teaching and researching at a university with an enrollment in the high hundreds, on a planet with a population in the low thousands and a corrosive atmosphere to keep the population limited. I liked Amblin. It was quiet, and I didn't feel as though I had 50 people trying to sit in my back pocket.” He took another long pull at his not-coffee. “Or even point-one-five people. Call it an eccentricity. Goddess willing, I'll never set foot on Permatic proper again.”

Simultaneously, the two communicators on the table made a stuttering beep, indicating a news announcement of personal interest. Lita and Ribexis picked up their respective comms and read:

---It has come to the attention of this reporter that the following members of high society have been invited to the Holiday Ball on 001-0200 PI at the Imperial Palace (Crown District, Melnauka) on the Imperial Capital World of Permatic---

Ribexis heaved a sigh. “As I always suspected: the Goddess hates me.” He pointed a finger across the vast terminal's food court, at a formally-dressed man approaching their table at speed. "And there walks my doom."

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; April 7th, 2014 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: maths
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 37
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Small Starburst [FS0726] Kalash (335-0199 PI).

Originally Posted by Jazzlvraz

Areri Shashimamikuus,
Distinguished Professor (Emeritus) of Linguistics at Adishmu University.

Areri's enjoying a bit of blissful downtime, lying in the sun between fishing trips, at his friend Idumni's beach hotel on [FS0726] Kalash, reading Garir Esninra's latest plot-boiler, Betrayal Beneath the Waves: The Quelw Mission.
It is this pastime and location that allows you to see the sleek lines of a starship with the color scheme of an Imperial Courier appear over the horizon, it ends up overhead slowly spinning in place, the sub-perception awareness of the lifters keeping the vessel floating in the air as it searches for a clear landing zone thrums through you. Eventually, a human male in the Imperial Household Livery bearing the Armorial of Vladimir II descends gracefully from the rear airlock on a extremely small grav belt. As he does the ship takes off after dispensing equally sleek and similarly marked grav limo which begins orbiting the beach.

Lord Stephen Vilecashar, Imperial Courier touches down in front of you a smile on his face and in his hands a small object, white with Imperial purple edging...
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Sigmund Citizen
Small Starburst

Captain Jin slowly strides down the concourse of the Permatic downport. He occasionally dodges deftly aside to avoid collision with biologicals, but only occasionally. Robots are not uncommon, but shining golden ones wearing casual attire are, so the Captain gets his fair share of brief stares and more than his fair share of space. He doesn't seem to notice as he stalks up to and then slowly stops in front of a large window overlooking the ship yards and sale yards. The golden being stands, feet shoulder-width apart, hands clasped behind his back, motionlessly. A small child appears near him, staring unabashedly, and slowly pokes the golden statue, which remains motionless as the child's mother scoops him up and hurries on. The crowd surges by and time passes.

SOLO 1324 SHULGI B512855-C

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; April 7th, 2014 at 08:46 PM..
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Small Starburst [FS 1725] Permatic (340-0199 PI) Highport Main Concourse [1127 hours Local Time] .

Originally Posted by Thornwood-Daarnulud Institute Press (the Referee).
The Permatic Imperium.
[FS 1725]: Permatic (The Capital).

UWP: A 365 C8A-H.
TC: Hi Ht Cx.
Ex: {+5} (8BC+5) [GF7E].
Nob: BE (Kirosowa).
NIL: Natives.

Permatic (The Capital) is a small planet with a diameter of 5,020 km and a circumference of 15,770 km. It has seas of water covering 50% of its surface and its surface gravity is 0.4 G. It has a year of 1,170 (24-hour) days; its actual day length is 21 hours. There are no moons. Average temperature is 15 C, with a temperature change of -8 C per kilometre altitude.

PermaStarOne is usually the first point of contact one gets and is the Class A Highport for the world. The Highport also has the range of Travellers' Aid Society facilities and services expected of such a high traffic starport. It serves as the hub of multiple spacelanes throughout the Imperium. It also has multiple shipyards and Daarnulud Design Bureaux maintains a yard here where they do most of their custom work. The Melnauka Downs is the Downport portion world's starport which is located in outskirts of Melnauka. The City, as Melnauka is generally referred to is a sprawling cosmopolitan metropolis and it can be a bit overwhelming even to sophonts from high interstellar tech worlds due to the extreme technological base that it has maintained throughout galactic history. The Crown District of the city contains the Moot, the Palace, the Ministerial Headquarters and various Bureaucracy required to run the Imperium. Other Districts contain entertainment and leisure areas, living zones, parks, industrial zones, and the various infrastructure needed to keep such vast city functioning.

It has a Navy Base (which has a large shipyard of its own), a Scout Waystation (servicing the many Express Boat Routes, Active, and Detached Scouts, and the collating the data brought in), and Imperial Research Station Alpha (said to contain a working Fifth Empire Anti-Matter Creator which generates the AM required to power the Navy's Ships of the Line). Of course there is an Institute Branch Headquarters there as well as the Permatic Imperial University. There is also an Imperial Consulate and the Imperial HQ for the Travellers' Aid Society. Permatic itself as opposed to the Imperial Capital is run by a civil service bureaucracy and due to the high population, in addition to its status as Capital of the Imperium, the law level is a bit high. The Imperial nobility are the Baron Melnauka and Count Fellsea who represent the world in the Moot and oversee Imperial affairs for His Majesty regarding Permatic.
Originally Posted by TomeGnome.
Sordenrae Ribexis,
Distinguished Professor (Emeritus) of Sophontology at Van Gulik Institute.

Simultaneously, the *two communicators on the table made a stuttering beep*, indicating a news announcement of personal interest. Lita and Ribexis picked up their respective comms and read:
---It has come to the attention of this reporter that the following members of high society have been invited to the Holiday Ball on 001-0200 PI at the Imperial Palace (Crown District, Melnauka) on the Imperial Capital World of Permatic---
Ribexis heaved a sigh. “As I always suspected: the Goddess hates me.” He pointed a finger across the vast terminal's food court, at a formally-dressed ManKind approaching their table at speed. "And there walks my doom."
Why it is none other than the The Right Honorable Miss Martha Smythe-Jones, The Master of the Household who comes to a stop in front of you.

"Professor Sordenrae Ribexis of the Van Gulik Institute?"
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; May 13th, 2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Visit TomeGnome's Blog
TomeGnome Citizen
Small Starburst [FS 1725] Permatic (340-0199 PI) Highport Main Concourse [1127 hours Local Time] .

Simultaneously, the *two communicators on the table made a stuttering beep*, indicating a news announcement of personal interest. Lita and Ribexis picked up their respective comms and read:

Ribexis heaved a sigh. “As I always suspected: the Goddess hates me.” He pointed a finger across the vast terminal's food court, at a formally-dressed ManKind approaching their table at speed. "And there walks my doom."

Why it is none other than the The Right Honorable Miss Martha Smythe-Jones, The Master of the Household who comes to a stop in front of you.

"Professor Sordenrae Ribexis of the Van Gulik Institute?"

Lita hid a grin while Ribexis rose to his full, particularly unimpressive height, and gave the stiff nod that served him as both handshake and bow. "Of the Madarian Institute, actually; and I'm a robopsychologist, not a linguist, but otherwise yes. I am, indeed, Dr. Sordenrae Ribexis. This is my associate, Sublieutenant Galita Kusaros, formerly an instructor at the Imperial Naval Academy. I presume, madam, that you come bearing tidings?" He ran a hand over his clothes, endeavoring to straighten the contour-map wrinkles of his travels (and failing).

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; April 7th, 2014 at 08:47 PM..
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:55 PM

Small Starburst [FS 1725] Permatic (340-0199 PI) Highport Main Concourse [1127 hours Local Time].

The Rt. Hon. Miss Martha Smythe-Jones,
The Master of the Household.

*bows low to Professor Doctor Ribexis*

"I offer my most humble apologies, Honored Professor Doctor Sordenrae Ribexis of the Madarian Institute.

There was a crosswind in the data streams and your data and the Esteemed Professor Doctor Shashimamikuus appear to have mixed up your CVs.

Again I offer my most humble apologies. Please do not let this bring any shame to His Majesty or His House. The fault is entirely mine."

She returns to standing formally and continues, "I have brought the matter to the attention of the Household CI section and I am sure the problem will be dealt with. That handles me for the moment and now duty calls and I must deliver this Invitation to you." with this she draws something from her left pocket and grasps it with both hands by the lower corners.

The Imperial Stationary.
(Used: formal decrees, proclamations, orders, or invitations.)

A luminescent white parchment envelope with Imperial purple edging and silkage* ribbons surmounted by a Royal blue, bio-reactive wax with the Seal of the Imperium impressed in it. The Seal of the Imperium signifies that His Majesty is acting as The Emperor. If the Seal is the Arms of Vladimir II, High Lord of Permatic then His Majesty is acting in the Royal guise. One may in some rare circumstance refuse His Royal Majesty, but one never refuses His Imperial Majesty.

You press your left thumb upon the Seal to open it. It is suggested at this time to check the individual delivering such a Sealed material has handed you the correct item or has the counter-agent handy as the result of an unauthorized person trying and failing to break a Seal is often quick, fatal and unpleasant. (Such Seals are familiar to you if you have served in the Joint Armed Forces or other service or agency that uses this authentication method for classified materials.)

The parchment and ribbons have that certain handmade quality that His Majesty (and thus the Court) has encouraged among those wealthy enough to import such novelties as hand made parchment in a digital, interstellar empire. They exchange paper calling and business cards, they wear natural fiber clothing worked by hand sometimes "from the Beast to the Suit", they hunt exotic game on far away worlds from air/rafts wielding hand armored, low tech slug throwers. Such is the life of the upper classes and its aim is not merely to show off, but to encourage interstellar trade with the lower tech societies and cultures and help bring them to the stars.

Then comes the traditional formal official boot heel click and accompanying bow. When she straitens up her Voice rings out.

"I am Commanded and Ordered by His Imperial and Royal Majesty Vladimir, Second of His Name, The Emperor of the Permatic Imperium, Lord of One Thousand Stars, etc. to act as His Name, Voice and Hand and see this personal Invitation hand delivered to you in time for the Holiday week functions at His Majesty's Palace as His Guest, where you will consult with Him on certain matters. I am then to await your response and convey it to Him."

Upon completing the ritual she extends the Invitation to Sordenrae, the front bearing the good Doctor's full name, titles, ranks and offices, as well as his current address.

*Library Data S- "silkage". A term to describe any fiber that can be used in fabric or construction that is spun by a creature in a manner of the Terran silk worm or spider, but was produced by a non-terrestrial species.

I am trying out a new system to aid me and those others reading the Setting thread. This being the starburst "tags" at beginning and end of the bit that is Setting related.

Such above where I went through four five rewrites to figure out a way to get the description of the Envelope in the Setting for future reference. Also "silkage" as a Library Data S entry. I am hoping this both helps to collate the entries for the Game Library and for new readers to start being able to pluck out the color of the setting.

Let me know what you think.

Speaking of, I still need to hear from the rest of the players which version of the 12 = Auto-Fail Honors rule. Got 1 for harsh and 1 for medium harsh.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:35 AM

Small Starburst [FS 1725] Permatic (340-0199 PI) Highport Main Concourse [1422 hours Local Time].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
Captain Jin slowly strides down the concourse of the Permatic downport. He occasionally dodges deftly aside to avoid collision with biologicals, but only occasionally. Robots are not uncommon, but shining golden ones wearing casual attire are, so the Captain gets his fair share of brief stares and more than his fair share of space. He doesn't seem to notice as he stalks up to and then slowly stops in front of a large window overlooking the ship yards and sale yards. The golden being stands, feet shoulder-width apart, hands clasped behind his back, motionlessly. A small child appears near him, staring unabashedly, and slowly pokes the golden statue, which remains motionless as the child's mother scoops him up and hurries on. The crowd surges by and time passes.
A high order Machine Being Life you can fortunately (somewhat) adjust your perception of time* and hours pass and things change yet remain the same as the organic history stood so long even with the occasional shocks, the Jump Wars, the Great Rebellion of The Dispossessed, the Great War, none of these things have stopped organic ManKinds from doing the same things as always. As you pass by a Hunter Joe's Arms Emporiumtm next to the Goatie's GJunkyardtm where "If we don't have it, you don't need it!"sm when you see some mercenaries loading up a high tech enclosed lift van, the camouflage of grey (IR), white (UV), blue (spoofers) splotches is dinged here and there exposing the armor-metal. It has seen its share of combat action and is still in good shape. The van's weapon mount is bare and this is obviously a pre-mission supply run, everything from spare uniforms, to rations of various grades and worlds of origin, the ever needed extra ammunition and basic kit, all the way to toiletries and weapons. Most of the squad pings your LDC on the Private Travellers' Band (Looking For: "Starship", "Venture") tags.

If you explain that you are not a warbot and have no ship either they will invite you to accompany them out to Harsh Landing once a private starport that went out of business when a starship crashed in a most dramatic way, now a thriving used shipmart and reconditioning yard. It sits on what is left of the island (that no one, even locals, remembers the name of) that was home to the then Class C starport. The #starship/mart.recondition/suggestions.private.travellers.permatic.freeband.n et# has good things to say about them. Even DDB says that for their market Harsh Landing is the best on Permatic. [citations]

So, gonna hitch a Lift?

* Regarding Temporal Perception Adjustment. A Machine Being Life of high order may chose to accelerate or slow it perception of time at times, such as when doing a Task. This ability does not alter the actual passage of time. Time passes at its normal rate, the mechaniod Sophont merely perceives it at the set rate at the time.

Remember, each and every post lovingly hand craft just for you, just the Peerage.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Sigmund Citizen
Small Starburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
A high order Machine Being Life you can fortunately (somewhat) adjust your perception of time* and hours pass and things change yet remain the same as the organic history stood so long even with the occasional shocks, the Jump Wars, the Great Rebellion of The Dispossessed, the Great War, none of these things have stopped organic ManKinds from doing the same things as always. As you pass by a Hunter Joe's Arms Emporiumtm next to the Goatie's GJunkyardtm where "If we don't have it, you don't need it!"sm when you see some mercenaries loading up a high tech enclosed lift van, the camouflage of grey (IR), white (UV), blue (spoofers) splotches is dinged here and there exposing the armor-metal. It has seen its share of combat action and is still in good shape. The van's weapon mount is bare and this is obviously a pre-mission supply run, everything from spare uniforms, to rations of various grades and worlds of origin, the ever needed extra ammunition and basic kit, all the way to toiletries and weapons. Most of the squad pings your LDC on the Private Travellers' Band (Looking For: "Starship", "Venture") tags.

If you explain that you are not a warbot and have no ship either they will invite you to accompany them out to Harsh Landing once a private starport that went out of business when a starship crashed in a most dramatic way, now a thriving used shipmart and reconditioning yard. It sits on what is left of the island (that no one, even locals, remembers the name of) that was home to the then Class C starport. The #starship/mart.recondition/suggestions.private.travellers.permatic.freeband.n et# has good things to say about them. Even DDB says that for their market Harsh Landing is the best on Permatic. [citations]

So, gonna hitch a Lift?

* Regarding Temporal Perception Adjustment. A Machine Being Life of high order may chose to accelerate or slow it perception of time at times, such as when doing a Task. This ability does not alter the actual passage of time. Time passes at its normal rate, the mechaniod Sophont merely perceives it at the set rate at the time.

Remember, each and every post lovingly hand craft just for you, just the Peerage.
Acknowledging the contacts and transmitting his purpose, Captain Jin reacts to the invitation by moving purposefully to the van and enters where directed saying, "I am grateful for the assistance."

SOLO 1324 SHULGI B512855-C

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; April 7th, 2014 at 08:50 PM..