Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > In My 2300 Universe

In My 2300 Universe Discussion of non-canon ideas for use in your 2300 Universe

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default Making Ships Available to PCs

If you like the idea that PCs are unlikely to own ships, and that all/most ships belong to governments and megacorps, you can move along, nothing to see here.

If you like the idea of PCs having ships, you really need a good reason for why there should be a bunch of used ships available at prices that a PC or group could afford. One good reason would be some major upgrade in ship tech that all the "big guys" want to jump on, but that doesn't retrofit well to the older ships.

A few ideas I'm looking at:

- a recent upgrade in FTL tech that requires a larger engineering space, but is enough better to be worth building a bunch of new ships to incorporate the new tech (such as stutterwarps that can go 10ly or 12ly or whatever seems appropriate before needing discharge)

- a pseudo-grav inertial compensator system (like Trav grav-plates) that is economical to put in new ships but a PITA to retrofit - thus the old ships w spin-habs and such are outdated and available for PCs - this also allows use of Traveller "deck oriented" ship designs (w some fudging for the engineering differences) as the newer ships

Any suggestions for other ideas that make old ships available but don't completely unbalance the setting w new ship designs?

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.