Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen+Supplement Four Citizen+Supplement Four Citizen+

Here's a D6 Star Wars question that I haven't quite tweaked to my satisfaction. Consider Character Points and piloting a starship. A pilot can use them to influence his throws, but that turns out to be a big burden for the pilot character. If you get into a couple of dog fights--and this is Star Wars, so you SHOULD get into dog fights, often--the pilot character burns up his character points while the rest of the player characters, manning other positions on the ship (gunner, navigator, or just as a passenger) still have all of theirs ready for personal combat.
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM

BytePro Citizen

Not up on the rules...

Isn't it the Player's choice? I mean maybe he wants to save points for combat, or for later dog-fights?

Whether the Pilot uses his points or not, he can still 'lose'? Wouldn't the gunner or 'passengers' want to use their points to affect the outcome as well? (Especially if they all could die?).
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytePro View Post
Not up on the rules...

Isn't it the Player's choice? I mean maybe he wants to save points for combat, or for later dog-fights?

Whether the Pilot uses his points or not, he can still 'lose'? Wouldn't the gunner or 'passengers' want to use their points to affect the outcome as well? (Especially if they all could die?).
only the actual acting character may spend force or skill points on a roll, and only in 2nd edition can skill points be spent on rolls.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
only the actual acting character may spend force or skill points on a roll, and only in 2nd edition can skill points be spent on rolls.
Yup. So, that means that Han Solo spends all of his CPs dodging asteroids and TIE fighters while the rest of the crew ride in the Falcon without using any of theirs--still benefiting from the Falcon not falling out of the sky, though.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Yup. So, that means that Han Solo spends all of his CPs dodging asteroids and TIE fighters while the rest of the crew ride in the Falcon without using any of theirs--still benefiting from the Falcon not falling out of the sky, though.
No. In 1st ed, he can't. Second ed allowing spending CP's on rolls was a stupid addition.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
No. In 1st ed, he can't.
That goes without saying, Wil. There are no character points in the first edition game!

You may be thinking of first edition's SPs, or Skill Points, which are used like CPs to improve the character or purchase equipment upgrades but cannot be used on dice throws the way CPs are used.

Quote:
Second ed allowing spending CP's on rolls was a stupid addition.
CPs came in with second edition. I've got mixed feelings about them. I used them fine in the long campaign I ran. My players loved them. I think I was way too generous with them (as my players used them each game sessions). I think I will be much more stingy with them if I ever run another SW game.
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:42 PM

One of the things I love about 1E D6 Star Wars is how smoothly and organically the combat round would play out. This method is brillant, and I'm not sure I like the change that happened with Second Edition when the game started using an Initiaive throw like most other games.

Ya, see, in First Edition Star Wars, there is no Initiative throw. If you crew is roleplaying and exploring, and a combat encounter breaks out, people just declare what they want their characters will do. It's the DICE that decide the order of things as the round plays out.

For example....

GM: Han, you and Chewie see a long, lighted corridor in front of you. At the end is a closed door.

Han Player: I'll pull out my blaster and cover the door as I walk towards it.

Chewie Player: Rrrraaaawwwww.

GM: Chewie, you're going to back up Han, with your bowcaster ready?

Chewie Player: AAAahhhhhrrrraaaawww.

GM: OK. Han, you're stepping lightly. You're moving along the left side of the cooridor. Chewie is a couple of feet behind you, following the right hand wall. You get to the door, and the sensors pick you up.

Han: Great. Just my luck.

GM: Swiiiisssh! The door parts from the center, opening into a large room. From this angle, it looks like it might be a landing bay.

Han: Excellent. (In character) "Chewie, maybe we've just found the Falcon."

Chewie: Rrrraaaahhhh.

Han: I'm going to step close to the threshold and peek around the corner.

GM: Yes, there's the Falcon. To your left, several yards deep in this huge bay. But, you also see Stormtroopers walking around in different parts. All are fairly far away. None seem to notice you at this point.

Han: Is there something to hide behind? Say...somewhere out in the bay--some place I can move to and duck behind, getting closer to the Falcon?

GM: Yes. There's a stack of crates not too far away. A couple of quick elbow pumps, and you'll be there.

Han: Ok then. (in character) "Chewie, stay here and cover me. I'm going to dash to those crates and drop behind them."

Chewie: Aaaahhrrrraaaawwwaarrhhh

GM: Ok, you're moving. One, two, three steps. You're almost there. But, you're also out in the open. (Rolls dice behind screen--Perception rolls for the two closest stormtroopers). Your quick movement draws the eye. You see one stormtrooper notice you. He elbows his buddy. The both look at you for just a second, pull up their blaster rifles and fire!

Chewie: Rrrraahhhahhhhaaaarrrr!

GM: Sounds like the Wookiee is going to use the corner for cover, lean around, and fire his bowcaster to cover you.

Here, we just roll dice--the different attacks. Declaring Actions for the round is organic. We can see that Han is moving from the door to the cover of the crates. Both stormtroopers are firing at him. And, Chewie, unseen at first by the troopers, is firing at one of the troopers.

We don't need initiative. We just roll dice! It doesn't matter the order. The dice will decide the order of events!

Han makes a DEX roll--this is a movment roll to decide where in the combat he finishes his movement. He rolls a 15.

Stormtrooper One fires at Han. He rolls an attack of 17.
Stormtrooper Two fires at Han. He rolls an attack of 8.

Chewie rolls a 13 with his bowcaster.

We KEEP THE ROLLS. They serve their purpose as attacks. But, we also use the rolls to order the events of the round.

17 - Stromtrooper One fired his blaster rifle at Han before Han was able to duck behind the boxes. So, the first thing we resolve is if the Stormtrooper damaged Han. We roll the weapon's damage vs. Han's STR, and since Han won the toss, the blaster damage results in stun. Han is singed, and he's knocked off his feet, dazed, unable to do anything for the rest of the round.

15 - This is where Han would have completed his move, but since the stormtrooper hit him, he's unable to complete the move. He's prone, stunned, and will make no more actions until next round.

13 - Chewie's bowcaster fires at Stormtrooper One, and the result is the trooper is wounded. The energy from the bowcaster slams into armored trooper, knocking him down. There's a big burn mark on his mirror-white armor.

8 - Stormtrooper Two fires at Han, but since Han is prone, he's harder to hit from this distance. And the penalty is just enough to make this trooper miss.

And, that's how the round would play out. If characters declare more than one action (say, if Han said he'd fire at the troopers while he was moving to the boxes, or if one or both of the troopers took more than one shot), then we'd resolve the combat round in "segments", resolving all first actions, then resolving all second actions, and so on, in a like manner as shown above.

It's smooth. We go in and out of combat easily.

Great freakin' system.

When 2E came along, a standard Initiative throw was added to the mix. That's a more traditional way of gaming, but I think Star Wars actually works best using the 1E "Flow" rules for combat.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM

I'm reading the old Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70's. Yeah, the art is 70's Marvel crap, but the book...the book is awesome! It's nostalgic. I'm reading the first of five omnibuses. These stories were written back when Star Wars was single movie. They're not encumbered by all the canon that has filled the Star Wars universe in the last 36 years.

There's a real sense of wonder in the writing of these books. It takes me back to that time, as a Jr. High School kid, having my dad drop me off at the movies to see a movie that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It was the first movie that I'd ever seen alone at a movie theater. All my friends had seen it and told me how amazing it was. My pops kept promising to take me, but weekend after weekend passed, until the movie wasn't in our area any more. Finally, my dad drove me to the other side of town and dropped me off. I sat there, with my popcorn and coke, a 6th grader, all wide-eyed and amazed hearing that music and seeing that Star Destoryer keep coming, and coming, and coming over my head.

If you can fall in love with a movie, I did, right there and then.

It was about three years after that I was introduced to role playing. D&D. Another love of my life that I will carry with me, probably to my grave. Then, in 1987, ten years after I sat in that theater, alone, watching that amazing movie, seven years after my love or role playing ignited, I saw the book that would marry those two loves: WEG's Star Wars, The Roleplaying Game.

I'm taken back to that time tonight because, as I read the old Marvel Star Wars comics, I am surprised at something I've found. Being a long time D6 Star Wars fan, I know that WEG paid close attention to the Star Wars comics--even integrating ships and characters.

When I first opened the Star Wars RPG, I saw some interesting character templates at the end of the book. One was for a "kid". Another for a Quixotic Jedi. I didn't think much of it--just guessing that the writers tried for a wide breath of character types.

Imagine my chagrin when, tonight, I'm reading the first story arc after the first movie adaptation in the Star Wars comic--a Magnificent Seven type of story where Han and Chewbacca, having just left Yavin 4 after blowing the Death Star, are putting together a team of spacers in order to help out a village from some ruffians.

And who is part of Han's motley team? Don-Wan Kioti (love that---Don Quixote, but with Don Juan, like Obi-wan), a crazy old coot who thinks he's the last of the Jedi Knights, and Jimm, a young kid who has never used a blaster before but wants Han to call him "The Star Killer Kid".

Really!

I never knew. All these years, I never knew. Those character templates were lifted right from the comics for the RPG.

Wow.

Really neat.
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

calmar11 Citizen
Default Hi !

Hi !
We played a lot of Star Wars 1st ed. with first few supplements that were good ( all other are real crap, nonsense and ridiculous - it is similar to a game like Ghostbusters for most scenarii : grotesque ). I GMed.
Later, I used Megatraveller system and setting into Star Wars, that was very good... But both systems worked well.
Old December 28th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Otto Harkaman Citizen

Might have to have a re-look after watching Rogue