Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
loudriver23 Citizen
Default Alternative Characteristic Rolling Techniques?

I was just wondering what the consensus was on how you allow your players to roll their characteristics.
The 2d6 6 times can be a bit brutal and lead to some seriously low scores. Are you okay with having a character with several characteristics from 2-5?
In any case, here are a few mods that I've either thought about, or have read about.
1: Roll 2D6 10 times and pick the best 6 results
2: Roll 1D6+6 6 times
3: Roll 3D6 and drop the lowest die.

Does anyone have any other methods that have worked well? Does one method lead to a more, or less, "pulpy" game?
Thanks,
Louis
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I allow rerolling 2 dice during CGen. Could be one attribute in total, or twice using 1d on one of the two dice of an attribute, or on process rolls (survival, Promotion, etc), or even benefit rolls.

But, yes, I'm fine with PC's with bad scores.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

BillDowns Citizen

Personally, I don't have an issue with rolling 2d6 x 6.

I'll see what my son's college friends think about it when we start a game after an upcoming business trip of mine. They were weaned on D&D 4.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

steventirey1985 Citizen

D&D is about sending high-powered, heroic (usually inexperienced) characters on heroic adventures. High stats are more important.

Traveller, at least in my opinion, is more about normal characters*, doing relatively normal things. Trading between worlds, exploring lost ruins or new worlds, small mercenary actions. No saving the world on a weekly basis, no killing gods, etc. More average characteristics. And as most Traveller characters are experienced, high characteristics aren't needed as much.

Still, a really low score could be a bit of a problem. I prefer rolling 2d6 7 times, and dropping a score of the players choice (doesn't have to be the lowest one, but it usually is).

*As much as a group possibly consisting of a retired Army general, Naval admiral, Imperial Duke, and Vargr pirate could be considered normal.

Last edited by steventirey1985; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM

loudriver23 Citizen

So, if you had a pulpy game where the characters were involved in more combat, and world saving on a more regular basis, would you at that point look to enhance the characteristics to better suit the campaign? I personally would.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Baron

Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

Sometimes 2d6 and re-roll 1s, or 1s and 2s if it's just a couple players. I like letting the characters have the advantage as the DM has a lot more monsters than they have body parts...

Leitz
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Dragoner Citizen-

Often to avoid one characteristic being too bad, I'll let them roll up all six at once 3-4 times and let them pick the best set out of all.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

I've toyed with what I call a Nature and Nurture option to allow some customization and (usually) avoidance of those annoying 2's.

Nature: Roll 1D6 per characteristic in order. This is what you were born with.

Nurture: Roll 6D6 and assign as desired to the characteristics. This is what your upbringing focused on.

Generally allowing only 1D6 assigned per characteristic but optionally no restrictions to permit padding desired characteristic(s) at the expense of settling with just the rolled 1D6 for some.

It's still pretty quick, maintains the standard 2D6 range (as long as the option is ignored), but allows closer to the character desired by the player.

I've also occasionally done averaged dice: All 1's are 2 and all 6's are 5 (or all 1's are 3 and all 6's are 4) but that's never been very satisfying. I more often use it for quick NPCs. It avoids the issue of low characteristics but at the cost of not getting high characteristics.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012

Last edited by far-trader; October 2nd, 2012 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: fixing the sloppy edit while posting - not "re born"
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM

loudriver23 Citizen

I think you may have something interesting there Far-Trader. I kind of like the idea of the nature + nurture.
Although, I think for this next game I want to run, I need to have a talk with the players and get an idea for the flavor they would like to see.
If it's to be the standard traveller campaign then it's 6X 2d6. Maybe reroll 1's
If they are hoping for a crazy romp akin to Starship Troopers, then perhaps I'll to the 3d6 and toss the lowest, or the 1d6+6 option.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

VonPickles Citizen

I've always gone with the 3 sets of stats, choose the best (depending on what career the player wants I sometimes allow a single swap within a set)