Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Far Trader > Public Area

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
saundby Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Tombstone jackets are an oddity; they are usually bought by the survivors, as a tribute to the fallen. And they're not that uncommon, but they also are not worn much. Widows may be given them, too.
Second this. You get them to have them, not to wear them. Except perhaps at particular occasions. Even then, it wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for everyone who has one to wear it. They're remembrances & a way of helping out (when purchased) rather than a piece of clothing.
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Evil Steve Citizen

When I first started running CT again, I added Navy "Deck Jackets". Made of a tough cloth, and intended to last the lifetime of the wearer, they served as a billboard/resume of ship service. Each ship had a small patch, with space for date of term served. The left breast was reserved for the current ship the wearer served upon, and if they were transfered off, they would move the patch to the arms or back.

Tradition dictated that the were worn when socializing off ship where crew from other ships would be present (or expected to be present) or if joining another ship's crew if more formal uniforms were not required. Typically they were worn over casual, or work clothes.

"I'm an awful human being."
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

one thing i can see being common in the traveller universe would be good old fashioned coats of arms. with the heavy emphasis on nobility and the practice of raising sucessful merchants to the nobility, a lot of the corporate lines would have noble connections, and would in all likeyness display something that annouced that. weather a classic european shield based coat of arms, or a japanese Mon, i think these would be quite commonly seen in the traveller universe.
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

I think the ship should definitely have nose art. Maybe stick it on mugs, too. I don't see a tramp freighter having a uniform though.
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
edit: are you just looking for comment on the ship patch idea, or for ideas form the community in general?
This was just on the ship patch thing, but my standard position on community contributions is thus:
All ideas and commentary are welcome and encouraged, but not all feedback well necessarily make it onto the screen.

Extra points if original artwork or similar tangible work are included.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
I think the ship should definitely have nose art. Maybe stick it on mugs, too. I don't see a tramp freighter having a uniform though.
I believe it would be in-character for this particular vessel's background to have (at least) a stack of jumpsuits in ships locker that may or may not be used by the crew. Like a fishing vessel, I see these as having some manner of ship ID, either something silkscreened on or embroidered.

It helps tell the story that the crew, at some point, may have had to ditch their street clothes in favor of whatever they found aboard the ship during it's original "acquisition" in the wilds.

One of the reasons I like the idea of a ship's sigil/coat of arms/logo/whatever is for promotional collateral. If this series becomes popular mugs, patches, or caps or something would be great promotional giveaways at the cons. Even without the "ship's logo idea, though, I doubt we'll be at a loss for that sort of thing.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

How about chameleon cloth items? Programmable patches, programmable T-shirts, programmable jumpsuits? This is (up to) TL15, after all. A new crewmember joins a ship, he gets a crystal with the ship's various configurations, he plugs it in and selects #4, Afternoon Casual, the one with the animated picture of a Three-legged Kazinga on the back.

Hans
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:59 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancke2 View Post
How about chameleon cloth items? Programmable patches, programmable T-shirts, programmable jumpsuits? This is (up to) TL15, after all. A new crewmember joins a ship, he gets a crystal with the ship's various configurations, he plugs it in and selects #4, Afternoon Casual, the one with the animated picture of a Three-legged Kazinga on the back.

Hans
For a variety of reasons (not the least of which is practicality) I'm avoiding exceeding tl10 for the purposes of this production. It's already going to be somewhat effects-heavy, and most of us are starting from zero with the production work.
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron Gredlocke View Post
I believe it would be in-character for this particular vessel's background to have (at least) a stack of jumpsuits in ships locker that may or may not be used by the crew. Like a fishing vessel, I see these as having some manner of ship ID, either something silkscreened on or embroidered.
About half the guys working a given fishing boat in a given year never earn the ship's jacket, just FYI. It's not a Crew Uniform in any way, shape or form. It's a long-service and/or good conduct medal equivalent.

The hat, well, if the skipper thinks you did a good job on first cruise, he might give you one.

The fishing fleet doesn't carry them in stock, either. Each is a custom order, and generally, the reputable shops will call the skipper for permission before making you one. You won't find a closet full. You might find one or two hanging up if she is underway, or in a bag. But they are for away from ship wear. Showing off.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

In some military Units, there are Jackets that are part of the unit thing (couldn't think of anything better to say) that are worn while off duty and at non-duty unit functions.

But to earn the jacket you must have completed some required task(s ) and proved that you earned the right to own and wear the jacket.

Some commanders and bases discouraged this, some just turned a blind eye as long as nothing was to overt or dangerous.

In my Cavalry Scout unit, you had to prove that you not only knew your job (MOS) but could do certain missions (actions) completely on your own. AND you had to be a group kind of person (IE no hero, you are better than everyone else attitude).

Dave Chase