Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Tobias: factual error: MT does not use hexgrids for ship combat. It uses square grid.
Which is worse, especially given the non-newtonian movement rules.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; December 22nd, 2011 at 02:25 PM..
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Actually, it's either-or: "Combat is conducted on graph paper or hex-grid paper. The distance scale is 25,000 kilometers per square (or hex.)" MT Referee's Manual, p. 90.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Anyways: I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that MegaTraveller's basic concepts were sound, but that the actual execution and the design of several subsystems was lacking.

Basically, what I've been hoping for with every new edition of Traveller from TNE to MgT was to get MegaTraveller done right. So far, I've been disappointed every time. (I'm not counting T20 and GT here. Ironically, these Traveller incarnations of systems I don't really like did come much closer to my ideal vision of Traveller than any version of the game proper.)

I am reluctant to give T5 a try because I just know I'm going to be disappointed again. So the options I'm left with are:
- Redesign the faulty subsystems myself.
- Settle for "good enough" and cobble something together out of various bits, mostly CT and MT.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Dragoner Citizen-

For me it was not ever "hate", more just towards disinterest as I had an ongoing CT game that MT really didn't offer anything new. We had long house-ruled the 8+ task system, so a new more complex one, wasn't a plus; combat was too much like Striker, which I never cared for much. It just didn't grab me and after Marc left the helm at GDW, the story lost continuity, the Rebellion worked as an idea, it just didn't make sense as executed.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:28 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

About the only book from MT that is still used by my group is the Imperial Encyclopaedia.

The special duty roll during character generation has been copied across to my CT character generation charts.

And that's it.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM

Dragoner Citizen-

I bought the MT disk, while worth it, I would say it should be rescanned, that's my rant.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Visit sfchbryan's Blog
sfchbryan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoner View Post
I bought the MT disk, while worth it, I would say it should be rescanned, that's my rant.
What it needs is a retypeset version with all of the errata worked in.

Oh, if only there was someone working on such a marvelous thing.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchbryan View Post
What it needs is a retypeset version with all of the errata worked in.

Oh, if only there was someone working on such a marvelous thing.
There is, but the question is, "Will MWM put it on the revised disks if he offers it to MWM?"

Me, I have been really tempted to do such a thing, myself... even have a chunk of the PH done. But it's a lot of work correcting all those OCR errors. Let alone all the errata.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Visit sfchbryan's Blog
sfchbryan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
There is, but the question is, "Will MWM put it on the revised disks if he offers it to MWM?"

Me, I have been really tempted to do such a thing, myself... even have a chunk of the PH done. But it's a lot of work correcting all those OCR errors. Let alone all the errata.
I gave into the temptation.

It is a lot of work. I have completed the Player's Manual, Referee's Manual, Imperial Encyclopedia, and the Referee's Companion. All I have left on them is to fix typos & spacing from my ctrl-C, ctrl-V skills. Which I am actually doing right now, along with folding in every extended character class I have ever used or seen. (For my personal use, obviously.)

I have also lashed together most of what would make up Nautical Force Command (The Wet Navy Series + Terry McInnes' unpublished expanded Sailor CharGen). I am starting on COACC next week, & I'll parallel NFC while I am fixing it up. As a side note, I found an 2 page article that Terry wrote on adding CBN to COACC, I am going to fold that back in.

I am going to get all of them done. My question right now is to I replace the artwork. One can make incredible things in PoserPro 2012.
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
The rules got in the way of play.
Actually Joe pointed out that the task system was supposed to be the antithesis of CT's look-up-the-rule-in-an-obscure book; instead make up something that sounds about right, and keep moving...
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th