Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old November 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 28
navanod Citizen
Default Judges Guild Mercenary Cruiser Reimagined

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
I'll second that. How about the Judge's Guild 800t Type C Cruiser?
I dug out the pic of that thing...my first impression was "meh, pretty square and boring." But I got to thinking about it, and that might be a challenge in itself - to take some of those early simple (and moderately ugly) ships and see if you can make them visually appealing and useful.

The listed size is way wrong (8.2 m x 8.5 m x 66 m = 4600 cu m = 328 dtons), and I haven't checked the validity of the design, but I took a SWAG at a prototype over morning coffee, built out of a box and some pieces I had laying around. Scaled up to get the right volume it comes out to 12 m x 12.2 m x 94 m. You can see a rough render of it here -

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...dex.php?n=1083
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanod View Post
I dug out the pic of that thing...my first impression was "meh, pretty square and boring." But I got to thinking about it, and that might be a challenge in itself - to take some of those early simple (and moderately ugly) ships and see if you can make them visually appealing and useful.

The listed size is way wrong (8.2 m x 8.5 m x 66 m = 4600 cu m = 328 dtons), and I haven't checked the validity of the design, but I took a SWAG at a prototype over morning coffee, built out of a box and some pieces I had laying around. Scaled up to get the right volume it comes out to 12 m x 12.2 m x 94 m. You can see a rough render of it here -

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...dex.php?n=1083

I like what you've done with it. Amazing that the original specs were off by >100%
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

I think the original JG specs became confused between 1m vs 1.5m grid lines, among other things.

Probably the ugliest thing about it are those sharp edges and corners. If those were a bit beveled they'd not look so offensive.
Tools Link
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Gallery : 2
fredofmars Citizen
Default JG Mercenary cruiser

Quote:
I dug out the pic of that thing...my first impression was "meh, pretty square and boring." <snip>
I think you've done a good job of presenting this. It's clear it's a quick first-run for you, but hopefully you'll do a bit more on it.
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
I think the original JG specs became confused between 1m vs 1.5m grid lines, among other things.
If they intended the grid to be 1.5 rather than 1m it would only be off by 50% not >100%. No, whoever laid it out knew nothing of Trav ship design, math or both.
Old November 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:

The listed size is way wrong... Scaled up to get the right volume it comes out to 12 m x 12.2 m x 94 m.
Which is (perhaps not coincidentally) about the size the deckplans show

About 93m long by 12m wide by 9m (3 decks) high. Comes to about 750tons, not including the bits of the pinnaces that stick out of that box (about half for another 40tons) and the turrets (for another 8tons). Close enough to 800tons for me

That said, even a quick glance at the deckplans is enough to know they don't look correct volume wise for actual fittings. I think before doing too much work on the outside you need to square away the interior, at least approximately, so you get the bits in the right places and sized appropriately. You know, if that matters to you

I would take a crack at the deckplans but I'm not sure when it would happen. The actual design is probably close, it looks like the old Merc Cruiser (Pinnaces instead of Cutters) design and I think that did work out correctly. I will probably do a quick run through of sometime today just to satisfy my curiosity.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

My quick run of the Cruiser numbers comes up with 70tons left? Has me wondering what I'm forgetting or if I did the basic math badly

Anyway, should I break the Cruiser posts off into its own development thread for you navanod? Or do you want to keep it here?

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old November 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

For what it's worth, part of the missing tons is the adding error in the description, it lists 48tons aux fuel (which at least goes evenly into the 12ton fuel tanks of the pinnaces) but after subtracting jump and power fuel from the listed 288tons there was only 18tons left for aux. So that just leaves 40tons to account for. A pair of lifeboats would fit nicely

Old November 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Running some numbers my suggestion would be:

Forward section: 3 decks x 7.5m wide x 27.5m long = 137tons + 8tons for turrets
Bridge (20tons), Comp (5tons), Staterooms (100tons), 12tons Stores, + Turrets (8tons) = 145tons

Middle section: As per the description leave this an open framework, permitting mounting of and filling in with what the user desires. Cargo modules, fuel modules, small craft, vehicle hangers, etc.
Up to 260tons of gear within 30.0m length

Rear section: 4 decks x 13.5m wide x 33.0m long = 395tons
Jump Drive (65tons), Maneuver Thrusters (23tons), Powerplant (37tons), Fuel 270tons = 395tons

This is just a suggestion to get about the right tonnage allocated in the spirit of the original shape and description. With those as rough guides one should be able to fit deckplans in at the proper allocation without too much work.

For visual interest options:

Forward section: Pop the bridge out a bit (up or down, and to the sides and front) for "better visibility", suck the hull in a bit in some other areas to make up for it, maybe in the commons area at the rear of the forward section.

Middle section: Harder, some kind of truss arrangement of course, maybe just in the center deck, or with a mid line truss span as well. Filling it in is where you can get more creative with different modules and craft.

Rear section: I'm thinking the drives would be on the center deck (for the most part) with the rest being fuel tankage around it, allowing some breakup of the lines similar to the original with the half-split

That's about it...

...I just have to get off my chest how ugly and out of place that dish looks on the front end (but you know, whatever )

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM

Gallery : 28
navanod Citizen
Default The dish...

I agree, it looks completely out of place, but in keeping with the spirit of the original design, I suppose we'll have to keep it. Maybe a better option will present itself whilst I'm working on it.

Your suggestions for layout sound okay to me, but I'll know more once I delve a little deeper into it. I'll have to table it until I get my X-boat project finished, which shouldn't take too terribly long, but I'll probably plink away at it as I'm able.

I'm certainly open to suggestions about what to do about that godawful dish on the front though.