Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Far Trader > Public Area

Old November 7th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 31
whitedalek Citizen

do the Vilani have a tradition of large hams ??

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LargeHam
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Keklas Rekobah Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffty View Post
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
"Kha" - organic sludge

"aA" - to impact

"aan" - rotary impeller

:: "KHA-AA-AAN" - A large amount of organic sludge has impacted the rotary impeller

Old November 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

I appreciate this thread, it will help to have this sort of thing for color.

In the campaign that inspired this film project, humaniti of the Regency is a little more homogenized than what most of you are likely used to. One of the reasons for this is practicality: some of actors can barely pronounce *english* words, and if I asked them to learn extensive non-english phrases or develop accents, the performances would likely suffer.

For example, my lead happens to have distinctly Vilani features, so we're going to consider him to be "of vilani descent". A character who tends to get into a lot of fights might be described as having a "solomani temperament" (kind of like an American-Irishman).

So, profanity that we would see might be "borrowed language" words from other cultures that have been "normalized" for Regency culture.

A notable exception might be the Zhodani, as their cultural identity is so heavily wrapped up in the biology of psionics there's probably little chance of the sort of cultural cross-contamination that would normally happen. Families descended from veterans of the 5th frontier war may a better idea of Zhodani language/cultural/etc and may even use some Zhodani racial slurs or profanity. You could probably say the same for Vargr, but in generar, Our TU (also the TU of the movie) would generally see Vargr as more likely to mix with the regency than the Zhodani.

These ideas about the multi-cultural nature of the Regency are, basically, intended to provide fanservice and Traveller continuity while making our jobs as amateur filmmakers a little easier

Incidentally: I'm currently working through the script, and I will definitely have more requests for ideas on similar flavor items. Stay tuned.
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen

In case anyone reading this has been in a coma for the last 20 years, the Firefly Wiki has quite a few <*ahem*> colorful phrases from the Mandarin dialect. I've linked to the home page; the rest is up to you...
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFARR View Post
1. Who in the audience would recognize them for what they are/mean?
2. My boot camp company commander used to say that profanity that the first recourse of the linguistically handicapped. Why do you need profanity if you can come up with colorful phrases instead. It's a script and you have time to think it out even if you are linguistically handicapped on the spur of the moment. Taking time to write allow inventing phrases like "May the (insert your choice of vermin) of a thousand (insert your choice of animals from your choice of worlds) infect (insert your choice of anatomical location) at (insert your choice of the most inconvenient time).

That's my 2 credits worth.
This is worth some thought, actually.
I don't consider *myself* to be linguistically lacking, but some of the characters in the script would *definitely* fall into that category. I've been writing the "educated" characters as being less likely to resort to profanity, while the rougher military types would not avoid it as much.

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that *anybody* would likely say the f-word after getting shot with a gauss pistol.

I agree that the overuse of profanity takes away it's power, which doesn't serve us well.

Another idle thought- Solomani profanity? possible "evolved" variations of what we use now combined with ethnic additions? Firefly did it with mandarin phrases- maybe we pick a smattering of profanity from different ethnicities, tweak them a built on that?
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron Gredlocke View Post
This is worth some thought, actually.
I don't consider *myself* to be linguistically lacking, but some of the characters in the script would *definitely* fall into that category. I've been writing the "educated" characters as being less likely to resort to profanity, while the rougher military types would not avoid it as much.

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that *anybody* would likely say the f-word after getting shot with a gauss pistol.

I agree that the overuse of profanity takes away it's power, which doesn't serve us well.

Another idle thought- Solomani profanity? possible "evolved" variations of what we use now combined with ethnic additions? Firefly did it with mandarin phrases- maybe we pick a smattering of profanity from different ethnicities, tweak them a built on that?

I too had drill insturctors who were very "creative" in their language.

but you know what. a simple **** is just as effective
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I too had drill insturctors who were very "creative" in their language.

but you know what. a simple **** is just as effective
Then the skill of instrution is also used to swear and insult ?

I've never thought about that way of using it...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron Gredlocke View Post
This reference to the ethnic additions reminds me about something I thought wher I first readed the article about epitets used on the FFW (JTAS 9, page 27).

Having Spanish as my seccond language (nearly equal to my first), and as canon says Spanish is one of the languages influencing Galanglic, I guess one of the epitets given to the Vargr should be 'hijos de perra' (literaly sons of a female dog, wich is used more or less in the same meaning as SOB).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:02 AM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

It sounds like variants of "Burudak" are the Vilani equivalent to "the F-word". How would that be conjugated to a form similar to "▮▮▮▮▮▮ing"? that would retain the same visceral impact?

Even better would be more direct translations from "terran" profanity into Vilani or Galanglic

Last edited by Baeron Gredlocke; July 12th, 2011 at 03:25 AM..
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

I went through the script and noted all the swearing, then started trying to translate them. All I've got so far is:

B*llsh*t - /Dukam!/ (literally, "unsorted mess")

D*ckh**d - /pakha/, 'idiot'

▮▮▮▮▮

▮▮▮▮▮ing

▮▮▮▮▮▮n

M*th*r▮▮▮▮▮*r

Prick - /pakha/, 'idiot'

Sh*t

Sh*thole - /Kugganzir!/ (literally, "holy eye of the underworld (or pit of hades, etc)")

Sh*tstorm - /Dukam!/ (literally, "unsorted mess")