The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Consider virtual sets.
I think there are a couple.

Quote:
Unfortunately the ship looks like a plastic toy. I beseech you to look into surface shaders properly. You don't need insane modelling detail on thse ship for long shots like that, but the surface really needs to react to light convincingly in order to sell the effect.
You're right. It's an old model, and it needs more work.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Keklas Rekobah Citizen

You may want to reconsider the title, unless you want nerdy, geeky kids to be picked on for watching "Fart Raider".

- Keklas (a former "Stark Wreck" fan)
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

travlar Citizen

You might want to consider dropping the glasses, as I would generally think contacts would be sufficiently developed that glasses would be extremely rare. On the other hand, I also think its cool to have multiple main characters that need them; just because in my experience, that doesn't happen much.

As Aramis said, I think the gauss weapon muzzle flash could use some work. Other than that, I think it's pretty good. And I like the exit sign in the one building. I'm sure they'll still have those in the far future. Now I just want to see some space combat...
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Consider virtual sets. This has been used to varying degrees of success on Star Trek: Hidden Frontier. You'll need to be able to do green screen work and it requires a locked off camera, but it will enable you to cheaply produce sci-fi interiors and alien landscapes etc for zero cost.
I'm very hip to that- In fact, your work on the "Florian" is one of the pieces that made me believe I could pull this off with virtual sets. The opening log entry and the scenes with Kirby and Jens in front of the terminal were all green screen. In fact, the guy that did those backgrounds I believe contacted you for some advice on the lighting. He was actually the original GM of our TNE game back in the 90's. If he wasn't keen to learn the 3d bit I was going to see if you'd be willing to donate some hi-res renders of the florian interiors

Quote:
When firing lasers, try flahing a flashlight at the actors, so that there's some light information in the physical scene to ground the digital effect more.
In the campaign this is based on, the characters chose projectile weapons almost exclusively, which makes my job a lot easier

Those are all good notes though
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
So my big question is why the Regency period, not the Golden Age?
And a good question it is.

The easy answer is this: That's the setting many of these characters started in when we played, and it was the first setting I played substantially in.

Aside from that, I've found that the idea of the Regency Quarantine Zone and various recontact efforts to be an incredibly rich ground for plot ideas. I've been enchanted with that concept for years. I know my opinion is not typical
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Finally, Andrew, I'm really impressed with the compositing the ship into the video footage
It's surprisingly easy to sell an effect like that- camera shake really becomes an asset there, throw in some dust elements and color correction and it gets very close.

I have to learn a more about color correction and blurring and whatnot in order to match what I get from Andrew to the look of the footage, but I'm getting more and more practice
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Someone on the MGP forum suggested playing up ruins and Virus to stress the TNE setting. But really, all you need is a deserted city for it.
There are a couple of old military bases-turned public parks in our area that we've got on the list as locations for shoots. The majority (if not the entirety) of this will take place in Regency space, so we're more in need of modern-looking sets than ruins but it'll still look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Oh, and if you want any of us other Traveller fans to make cameos (cameos with speaking parts) I'd be willing.
The beautiful thing about the "personal log" format is that I can build dialog scenes that way, without needing to bring people in. Just send out the script and ask the actor(s) to sit in front of their webcam, do the performance, and mail the footage back to me. I can turn that into a visual comm session in the "interface" portion.
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
At least your property department has it together, loved seeing the NAS with it big old hand held antenna.

Keep us updated.
The funny part? That was supposed to be a densitometer.

But yeah, it makes a better NAS.
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

MarianLH Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
And the "We must kill out man-weapon for what's in his head" screams of a Firefly/Serenity ripoff.
That's a big turnoff for me. I found the main character very derivative and uninteresting. I'd like it better if he was more of a regular guy.

I thought the virtual screen effects, both in the log entry and behind the guy in the suit, very well done.
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron Gredlocke View Post
The beautiful thing about the "personal log" format is that I can build dialog scenes that way, without needing to bring people in. Just send out the script and ask the actor(s) to sit in front of their webcam, do the performance, and mail the footage back to me. I can turn that into a visual comm session in the "interface" portion.
So all I need is a webcam then. Eh, a couple months and I can do that.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares