Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old April 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen

I am printing it out now. I shall take it to my D&D game tonight and mention it.

Captain SIR!, I am with eagerness waiting any revisions of the other documents in Adventurer.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen
Default Book three: Races, Realms and Riches is up !

Well, here it is. Book three of three.

http://www.box.net/shared/gzu9dcs4c4r61nrx2zo4

This covers the equiv of the wilderness and underworld adventures for original D&D. Player and non-player races, animal and fantastic creature generation rules; map, city and dungeon generation rules, plus traveller style profile strings ! Major geek fest !

All it seems to lack at this point are some easy combat rules for flyers, and a few careers for the same -or at least skills for them.

My Traveller, OD&D and obsessive game design Blog:

Crawdads and Dragons

Current development projects
Adventurer What if Original D&D was written for traveller !
Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
but how we treat people when we are denied that.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

AlegisDownport Citizen
Default The Fantasy Traveller

I've been following this thread and read th fantastic work work that Captainjack has created with Adventurer. I've posted my own (simpler) take on a Traveller fantasy adapation on my blog at:-

http://alegisdownport.wordpress.com/...asy-traveller/

I hope it proves interesting reading for followers of this thread!

Comments welcome - thanks!
Twitter - @alegisdownport
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

A new revision coming out, so a new version of the intro:

In Principio
It’s a simple premise that started this: what if G & A had different inspirations than the one(s) that became The Big RPG . From it (so far) has come at least two variants I really like: Mazes and Minotaurs and Xplorers ; these ask “what if the font of inspiration was Greek myths, or Science fiction. Really well done, check em out.

This, then, is that, but spun thusly: what if the first RPG was Traveller? I’m not even going to get into the possibility that this might have happened (I hasten to add), but rather just follow it up . What if Fantasy was the red-headed stepchild of the RPG industry, which is seven-tenths dominated by endless SciFi worlds adventures and rules sets. Specifically…. recovered from the detreitus of a quantum chronoinfindibulum experiment at CERN, which turned out to contain this manuscript and some very, very odd dice.

In 1974, a garage-based game failed to get off of the ground due to lack of financing, and the efforts of two well known miniature and board game designers (an odd miniatures supplement called “the fantasy game” ) languished unpublished in a box in a garage. Eventually the designers ended up at GDW, best known nowadays for the breakthrough and innovative game Traveller which caught and rode the wave of star wars popularity, and created a whole new genre and audience for games. Adventure Simulations Games (as they are called) cater to an endless variety of SF settings and adventures, all ultimately derived from Traveler and an infinite variety of SF settings. Looking to expand the boundaries of the new hobby to other genres, G & A convince GDW to try a new approach to travelling: “howzabout something like that Robert E. Howard/Lovecraft genre , but the swords and sorcery version more than the pulp horror of Investigator; you know, like in Fritz Leiber's stuff ? …or, heck, Anderson's fantasy stuff...... Low tech, ya' know ? C'mon Marc, pleeeeeeze ?”

And so, in 1977, following the phenomenal success of book 8 (Droidbots), The Adventure game is dragged out and dusted off. Months later, Book 9 Adventurer is released. Always enjoying a small but devoted player base, Fantasy has remained a constant niche in Adventure simulation gaming. Adventurer has been the touchstone of the genre, and despite revisions and imitations, has always remained in print for the entire run of all editions of traveler, through Advance, 2nd and 3rd edition. With the contentious release of Traveller 4.0 considerable interest in older editions of the original ASG has developed, and GDW (now owned by Conhugebro) has now rereleased the original edition and supplements for a new generation. Whether you are a revered elder gamer from the first days, or a recent entry to the hobby, we are delighted to present the most unusual supplement Traveller ever produced.

“Scouts may come and go, and core rules change from space opera to gritty apocalyptic SF(and back), but swinging a sword and looting evil ruins always remains a comforting constant. Plus, there are no frikkin’ stellar spectra charts to constantly bicker and obsess about updating, right Marc ? “

– G, asked about the constant popularity of Adventurer at AdventuCon 22.

“Two words: Pole Arms.”
-Marc’s response

My Traveller, OD&D and obsessive game design Blog:

Crawdads and Dragons

Current development projects
Adventurer What if Original D&D was written for traveller !
Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
but how we treat people when we are denied that.