Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old October 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
swest Citizen
Default Referee's Screen

Greetings,

I received my new MGT referee's screen yesterday. Very high quality, and nice looking; however it has some quality control problems. There is 'stuff' on the inside: some sticky, and some just stuck on that can't be picked off. Also there are numerous flaws, some in the outer artwork, and some on the inner surfaces.

I am not qualified to judge the content, I hope others will weigh in.

I'm sure Mongoose will replace it, but I wanted to get this out early, so if this is a general problem they (Mongoose) can address it early.

- s.west
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post
I'm sure Mongoose will replace it, but I wanted to get this out early, so if this is a general problem they (Mongoose) can address it early.

- s.west
FYI They are more likely to see it if you post it on their boards at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM

swest Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
FYI They are more likely to see it if you post it on their boards at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/
Roger that. Will do.

I still wanted to post here, because I'm curious about others' opinions of the content.

- s.west
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM

swest Citizen

Got the replacement screen today and it is flawless.

- s.west
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

Jeez, that was quick.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

I found there was a sticky problem but nothing that affected the quality of the screen. The only thing lacking other than Combat Flowchart and a listing of all weapons and their damage ratings (but that might be in the CSC). But, it will be interesting to see how it compares and lasts the test of time as Mongoose is quite prolific in their Traveller releases.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Any further reviews of this?
Are there useful missing tables?
Screwed up tables?
Or is it top-notch?

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

ShannonA Citizen

Used it today and I was pleased.

My favorite thing is that they essentially laid the screen out as two two-page spreads: left for planetside stuff, right for starship stuff. I don't like putting a full four-panel screen between myself and my players, but this one let me just use two panels at a time, so I could set it to the side.

Stuff that I found useful included: task difficulty dice modifiers, task time frames, and task margins of success. Previously I didn't typically use many of the intricacies of these systems because I don't want to waste the time, but with them all up, I used them constantly, which really benefited the flow of the game.

Thus, for example, when someone made an Admin roll to get an appointment which I estimated would be available in 1d6 hours, I was able to quickly drop the range to 1d6x10 minutes when he made the roll by several multiples of 2. I just counted up the multiples and counted down on the chart right in front of me.

I also got great use out of the Vehicle Damage and Vehicle Location tables, since bt chance there were some vehicles used in today's adventure.

The one thing I wanted, but that wasn't here were weapon tables showing individual weapons, their damage, and other stats. Given the huge number of weapons, clearly you can't hope for all of them, but as a GM I would have loved a "digest" of 5 or 10 weapons so that I could easily knock out damage whenever I wanted from some typical stuff. But I can't say what I would have sacrificed to get them. Maybe I should just paste that up inside the binder I use for Traveller GMing.

In any case, it's definitely staying in my game bag for future Traveller adventures.
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Thanks.
I actually drove to four different game stores yesterday looking for one. I'm really pleased. It is probably the heftiest ref screen I've seen. The artwork on the players' side is so-so, but the tables on my side look nice. Can't wait to try it out!

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site