Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old May 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Gallowglacht Citizen
Default Coyns and the major races

You know the way the major races are represented on Droyne Coyns? Well I was thinking of introducing some Coyns used on a nearby Droyne world with little styalised circuit paths on them, to represent the new Major race in known space. Has anybody done something similar, or anything to do with Droyne and Virus? Where did it lead?
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM

Gallery : 2
Zparkz Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Zparkz Send a message via MSN to Zparkz

As the number of coyns are set, to represent a new "major" race on the coyns another symbol has to go. Unless of course a new coyn is introduced.

Maybe a more intriguing thing could be that all new coyn sets are introduced with this circuitry in the background of the coyns. To deepen the mystery, it happens all over known space (or whats left of it with Droyne population) more or less at the same time.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
Starviking Citizen

Well, Grandfather is the one who spread the original coyns around known space - to stop the Droyne from dying out.

Perhaps he would also be the one (or his agents) spreading these new coyns.

Now...what happens when the coyns get spread to a planet where xenophobes are trying to wipe out the Droyne - like Tinyid in Thoezennt Subsector?

Does Grandfather intervene?

What if RC personnel are there helping the Droyne?

On the flipside - what happens when Grandfather visits Daaliisa in Promise Subsector? What will he think of the strike on the Droyne there?

Tie them together and you could have a high-stakes adventure, with the RC's future at stake...

Starviking
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:19 AM

Gallowglacht Citizen

The players are currently in the Promise sussector, so I was going to introduce them on Daaliisa. If they go there.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM

Starviking Citizen

Nice!

Can you let us know how things go?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM

Gallowglacht Citizen

Will do. Will probably sit on the idea for a bit and see how it develops. How big it gets depends on if the players show interest after finding the coyns. But I would like to make the Droyne a bit more active and interesting without using the ancients hook. (I'm pretty sure the Droyne aren't the Ancients IMTU)

If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them. Don't worry about breaking canon.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM

Gallery : 32
BeRKA Citizen

Something that would be really scary is if the "Humaniti" coyn is replaced by something else, (e.g. "Hhkar" or "Virus") and that this happens all over known space.

Last edited by BeRKA; May 23rd, 2008 at 10:50 AM..
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

jfetters Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRKA View Post
Something that would be really scary is if the "Humaniti" coyn is replaced by something else, (e.g. "Hhkar" or "Virus") and that this happens all over known space.
Yeah, or a new "mystery race" coyn appears...
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM

Gallowglacht Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRKA View Post
Yes it would. A little OTT for my personal campaign, but yeah, that would be a good game. I might replace the K'Kree, Hiver, Vargr or Aslan coyn though. The Vargr "not so chosen after all", Hivers/K'Kree "mutated groundlings that aren't part of the plan" or Aslan "never meant to be major/frauds" may fit though.

But yeah the plan is to introduce them on 1 world (Daaliisa prob) and show up on others (like Tinyid? need to check PoT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetters View Post
Yeah, or a new "mystery race" coyn appears...
Also good. Plus reminds me that I should have an empress wave coyn.

That would mean at least 2 coyn changes. A big shake up for the pretty stagnant Droyne, and potentialy all of known space.

I think I'm leaning towards this forshadowing something big, a sort of Humaniti has messed up royally, that won't happen in the characters lifetime, but an added impetus that the RC has to win, and that Humaniti cannot afford a long night.

The general image is starting to grow on me. Thanks guys.
Back to part of the original question, has anyone messed with the coyns before? Is it worth asking in the general board?

Last edited by Gallowglacht; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:03 AM..
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
You know the way the major races are represented on Droyne Coyns? Well I was thinking of introducing some Coyns used on a nearby Droyne world with little styalised circuit paths on them, to represent the new Major race in known space. Has anybody done something similar, or anything to do with Droyne and Virus? Where did it lead?
It's not something I'd do in my own TU and certainly not something I'd try to sell to Marc Miller . The Droyne are supposedly very tradition-minded and would not, IMO, change the coyn set[*] on their own initiative. Whatever changes there have been to the set over the years were introduced by Grandfather on his infrequent visits to the Universe.

Somewhere I've seen a canonical reference to the effect that the last time he visited was around -1000, but I can't recall where. However, that would be when he introduced the Aslan coyn. There's no need to suppose that he introduced any coyns as a precognitive move -- K'Kree, Hivers, and Aslans were all major players by -1000.

It does, however, mean that there must be coyn sets introduced by Grandfather on his second last visit that doesn't have an Aslan coyn. I wonder which coyn was replaced by the Aslan one?

Such sets would be held in the inner sanctums of Droyne oytrips that were around 5,000 years ago.

In your own TU you can do what you like, of course.

Hans

[*] The coyn set in GT:AR3 is far more stylized than the coyns we've seen described in various canonical sources. My explanation for that is that when a Droyne community grows bigger, it needs more coyn sets, so they have to make some. Their reverence for Grandfather means that they won't copy his, so they make up different symbols for their own sets. They don't change the composition of the sets, though.