Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > GURPS Traveller

GURPS Traveller A forum for discussing GURPS Traveller from Steve Jackson Games

Old February 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Smile

I have no wish to start any sort of flame war or to cause anyone to fall out with anyone over the discussion of this question.

Does anyone know how much GT material has been canonised by MWM as applying in the OTU rather than the GURPs alternative reality setting?
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

William Citizen
I should know better by now...

Explicitly? None. However, each book has to be vetted by him prior to publication. Hence things like "jump masking" can be presumed to apply to the OTU. Remember that the only thing changed, officially, is the historical events surrounding the assination. Now, G:V does serious violence to Traveller on many occasions, but in theory it's all describing the same physical universe. It's like you're using an old soviet physics text instead of a western physics text <WEG>.

In the end it's like every other supplement - if you're a writer you have to consider it. If not, pick and choose 'cause it's YTU.

I use much (nearly all) of the non-GURPS specific material IMTU. Since I don't care for GURPS as a system, the rest falls aside. I'm sure others feel differntly (Cue Consty... )

William
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

snrdg082102 Citizen+snrdg082102 Citizen+
Evening Sigga Oddra & William,

I have to side with William that to my knowledge G:T is neither canonized or taboo. Currently, again as far as I know, T20 is in a similar limbo as G:T as to wether the material is canon or not. Material from both variants must meet the standard set down in the licensing and get MWM's nod.

Tom Rux
Old February 8th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by William:
I use much (nearly all) of the non-GURPS specific material IMTU. Since I don't care for GURPS as a system, the rest falls aside. I'm sure others feel differntly (Cue Consty... )
Hrm?

I like the GT stuff, obviously [img]smile.gif[/img] . What system it's for isn't really important to me though (but I do like GURPS) - I just think it's really well written.

Consty
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Elliot Citizen
What was the reason for diverging from the MT/TNE timeline in GT?

From the (unfavourable) remarks made by Mr Wiseman on the TML about DGP and the MegaTraveller timeline I get the impression that he was not a fan of the MT direction? Is this the reason for the rather strange divergence of GT from canon(after all - why rewrite history and not just set GT in 1105?)

Or was it a fan driven thing from the TML'ers at the time saying they hate MT?
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Good question, the only answer I know of is the LKW intro that says it is a common varient to pretend the Rebellion never happened.

Here's another question. GT includes the possibility of the Empress Wave in its future. Has this quietly been dropped or will we have another Traveller schism if the GT version contradicts what MJD is writing for the 1248 book? This is assuming GT ever goes that far along the timeline [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM

notagoodusername Citizen
To answer Elliot's question/point about MT, the Rebellion caused some annoyance to many CT fans as they liked thier Imperium just the way it was. GT was created to address that. Personally i have no preference for Rebellin or Classic, but many do. GT appeals to some, MT to others. Horses for courses.

On the canon point, my best guess would be as they hold a license the stuff they make is canon. Although the alternate to MT stuff (1120 and beyond) is not applicable tot he OTU, any pure concept stuff or pre-1120 stuff would be canon as it is in the common timeline.

Shane

Reality is subjective - and not one of the subjects I studied.
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Elliot Citizen
Shane I suppose that is the answer then - I always saw it as a bit odd - waiting 10 (real)years to make two time line shifts (MT and TNE) back from the official time line.

I always thought that the GT timeline was a backward step, but then the conservativism of fans is an ever lingering thing (hahahaha [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] )

As a straw poll who played this common variant that GT is predicated on before GT? By that I mean, who played beyond 1116 rather than staying in 1105-1115. What happened to the TI after 1116 in your game?
Old February 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Here's another question. GT includes the Empress Wave in its future. Has this quietly been dropped or will we have another Traveller schism if the GT version contradicts what MJD is writing for the 1248 book?
Er, wherever did you get the impression that the EW was in GT's future? AFAIK it's another thing that won't ever happen in that timeline.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:03 PM

notagoodusername Citizen
AFAIK too the EW is a TNE thing. GT = no TNE = no EW.

Wow, lots ob abbreviations. Good Morning Vietnam, anyone? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Shane

Reality is subjective - and not one of the subjects I studied.