Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
jalberti Citizen
I have found MT COACC an interesting suppliment to read, but not as interesting in a role playing background. It at least seems to me not as good of a gaming background as other MT careers.

Given the cost of aircraft, I think mercenary COACC units would be rare. Losing an aircraft in a merc engagement would be costly to the unit. Also transporting an air unit from planet to planet would be costly.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

jalberti Citizen
I have found MT COACC an interesting suppliment to read, but not as interesting in a role playing background. It at least seems to me not as good of a gaming background as other MT careers.

Given the cost of aircraft, I think mercenary COACC units would be rare. Losing an aircraft in a merc engagement would be costly to the unit. Also transporting an air unit from planet to planet would be costly.

jalberti Citizen

Old September 29th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
jfetters Citizen
It's funny - I still harbor bad feelings about the COACC supplement all these years later.

With all due respect to the authors & publishers, I thought that it was a waste of publication space. I remember salivating for any product from GDW that would further enhance the rebellion or advance the metastory (like Knightfall, Hard Times & the DGP stuff). When this came out, I just thought it was a waste.

It isn't that it wasn't well thought out and well put together or well written. My main thinking was, "Why in the hell do I want to detail an Air Force when I am trying to have characters dodge factions in an interstellar civil war?"

I think the publication could have gone to something that served the background better, like a faction sourcebook or something.

-Jim

"Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence..." - Leonard H. McCoy

jfetters Citizen
It's funny - I still harbor bad feelings about the COACC supplement all these years later.

With all due respect to the authors & publishers, I thought that it was a waste of publication space. I remember salivating for any product from GDW that would further enhance the rebellion or advance the metastory (like Knightfall, Hard Times & the DGP stuff). When this came out, I just thought it was a waste.

It isn't that it wasn't well thought out and well put together or well written. My main thinking was, "Why in the hell do I want to detail an Air Force when I am trying to have characters dodge factions in an interstellar civil war?"

I think the publication could have gone to something that served the background better, like a faction sourcebook or something.

-Jim

"Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence..." - Leonard H. McCoy

jfetters Citizen

-Jim

Old September 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Reg Redblade Citizen
I agree completely. IMHO it was a very poor product.

As most of us did I eagerly picked up all the MT materials I could get my hands on (DGP stuff was much harder to come by) and I remember buying COACC on the strength of the cover alone (which btw I think is one of the most impressive GDW art pieces) - how could you go wrong ? Advanced aircraft fighting it out in Low orbit with invading combat shuttles and orbital assault troops !!! Surely this was just the supplement to port wholesale into the campaign.

By the time I got through half of it or so I realised that this book actually had very, very little to do with the civil war. I think the main problems I had with it were:

1. Poor editing

2. Lack of usefulness to specific MT core issues (the rebellion handbook kept going on about how those high-tech high-population worlds were the essential objectives of all sides - yet this was never really covered.

3. There was actually no adventure content in the supplement (I don't count the campaign game which I thought was of little use for most GMs)

4. I think what really annoyed me though was those sidebars with the terran aircraft analogues (A-10, Skyraider, sopwith camel) whereas the book made no big effort to examine the high tech dimension (what about that beautiful big delta wing on the front cover ?) or aircraft that may evolve or be utilised in planets that didn't exactly match terran specifications.

What I am saying is that while the book may have had some fiction, there was very little science fiction. I was expecting something more high tech, and definitely more exotic.

As usual YMMV

RR

Reg Redblade Citizen

As most of us did I eagerly picked up all the MT materials I could get my hands on (DGP stuff was much harder to come by) and I remember buying COACC on the strength of the cover alone (which btw I think is one of the most impressive GDW art pieces) - how could you go wrong ? Advanced aircraft fighting it out in Low orbit with invading combat shuttles and orbital assault troops !!! Surely this was just the supplement to port wholesale into the campaign.

By the time I got through half of it or so I realised that this book actually had very, very little to do with the civil war. I think the main problems I had with it were:

1. Poor editing

2. Lack of usefulness to specific MT core issues (the rebellion handbook kept going on about how those high-tech high-population worlds were the essential objectives of all sides - yet this was never really covered.

3. There was actually no adventure content in the supplement (I don't count the campaign game which I thought was of little use for most GMs)

4. I think what really annoyed me though was those sidebars with the terran aircraft analogues (A-10, Skyraider, sopwith camel) whereas the book made no big effort to examine the high tech dimension (what about that beautiful big delta wing on the front cover ?) or aircraft that may evolve or be utilised in planets that didn't exactly match terran specifications.

What I am saying is that while the book may have had some fiction, there was very little science fiction. I was expecting something more high tech, and definitely more exotic.

As usual YMMV

RR

Reg Redblade Citizen

1. Poor editing

As usual YMMV

RR
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
I remeber using about a half dozen of the aircraft in the whole book.

The rest was a complete waste and I think it still is.

That D wing on the Cover "Should" have been detailed inside. I could have found many uses for it around the Imperium during the early stages of the rebellion.

I wound up throwing stuff together to make my own variation of what I thought it was...

(And now I own the book again on the CD I bought from FFE with all the other MT supplements)
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9