Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 20th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
I don't know if Joe will go for it but if we could come up with our top 25 to ask Joe Fugate of DGP. He might go for an e-interview, even though he feels Traveller is well behind him and commends the guys at T20 for putting Traveller back on the correct track.

I will solicit now for the top 25 questions...

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Question

The Starship Operator's Manual Vol. 1 is a favorite of mine and seems well liked by many. Were there any submissions completed, or nearly so, in the promised series detailing ships? Or did that first book come too late or set the bar too high?

[img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] OK so it's two questions, um, or three, or one question in disguise

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:39 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
kafka47 wrote:

"I don't know if Joe will go for it but if we could come up with our top 25 to ask Joe Fugate of DGP. He might go for an e-interview, even though he feels Traveller is well behind him and commends the guys at T20 for putting Traveller back on the correct track."

Sir,

Wow! Where to begin...

First, please convey my heartfelt thanks to Mr. Fugate for all the work, time, and effort he gave to Our Olde Game. He and the rest of DGP added quite a bit to Traveller. Their work and efforts should not be forgotten.

As for questions:

1 - Did he and DGP have an ending in mind when they began the Rebellion? If so, what was it? If not, why not?

2 - What does he think of TNE's 'ending' for the Rebellion?

3 - If there was one thing he could change in DGP's body of work, what would it be?

I know I'm being 'piggy', using up 3 of 25 questions, but I can't help myself!

Sincerely,
Larsen
Old October 21st, 2003, 01:02 AM
Absent Friend

Location: Arkansas is my residence, but New Mexico is my Home
Gallery : 0
plop101 Citizen
I'll second the questions put forward by Far Trader Burns and Mr Whipsnade.

Expanding on their questions:

A. Was a Starship Operators Manual for the Type S Scout ship ever contemplated?

B. What does he think of GURPS Travellers' alternate time line? For that matter, what does he think of GT itself?
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

theSea Citizen
Arrow

My cr0.02:

1) Are there any copies of Solomani & Aslan moldering in a warehouse anywhere? I know a lot of folks who would like to have one.

2) What happened to allow someone who's name I've never seen on a DGP product to gain control of the rights to all of that crunchy goodness? &lt;yes we're sad there'll be no reprints in the near future&gt;
Clarification: I'm certianly not looking for anyone to trash talk anyone with this question - I'm genuinely curious as to how the IP rights ended up out of the hands of the people who had done such fine work and into the hands of someone who - so far as I can tell - had little to do with the creation of said IP.

Personally - I'd love to have the opportunity to put some cash in the pockets of the people who did this work by purchasing reprints. I'm saddened by the fact that I probably will not have that opportunity... meanwhile I'll just have to content myself by buying whatever Traveller material FFE reprints.

3) What was the reasoning behind the whole 'Aslan are not _really_ a major race' thing? Much of the canon related to the Ancient coyns and the whole 'six races' thing from Twilights Peak seems to infer that the Aslan are/should be a major race. Was that not noticed or ignored for the sake of a cool story line?

4) Is there any unreleased DGP material to which the authors may still own the copyright out there - such as &lt;what was completed of&gt; Aliens Vol 3 (Zho and Dro) or Starship Ops Vol 2? &lt;you know we'd really like to see more!&gt;

5) Why the strong coverage of linguistics for Gvegh and Trokh? I love that stuff and am curious if there was someone on the DGP staff with a similar linguistic bent.

6) What's behind the empress wave thing - oops wrong guy [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img]

6) In retrospect, do you think the DGP products might have covered the OTU in a bit too much detail - leaving less for the imagination?

there - that should do- use whichever you wish. And thanks!

--michael

Oh yea - plop101 - I'm pretty sure I read that the Type S *was* the next planned SOM release.
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:57 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Red face

Keep the questions coming, as I really want this to be a fan effort. There is good news and bad news.

The bad news it has been a decade since he has thought about Traveller, so the memory is getting a little moldy but I am sure he will accomodate any of our questions.

The good news, is that he does still keep in contact with some of the original DGP group, sadly not Gary L. Thomas but Rob & Deb. So I will include questions directed to them as well.

I will keep this post active until next Monday which is when I will submit the questions and then post them here.

So keep up all the questions.

BTW, questions of product avialability is probably with Roger Sanger as are the rights to all things that would be published but I am sure he may remember something or two in broad sketches.

Cheers,
kafka47
The Traveller Archivist

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:49 PM

kaladorn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
The Starship Operator's Manual Vol. 1 is a favorite of mine and seems well liked by many. Were there any submissions completed, or nearly so, in the promised series detailing ships? Or did that first book come too late or set the bar too high?

[img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] OK so it's two questions, um, or three, or one question in disguise
Yes, I like this one. I also think the question might be phrased as "Were any plans made or materials collected for a volume 2?".
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:53 PM

kaladorn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by theSea:
1) Are there any copies of Solomani & Aslan moldering in a warehouse anywhere? I know a lot of folks who would like to have one.
count_of_interested_people++;

I too would very much like to know if there is a hidden cache.

Quote:
2) What happened to allow someone who's name I've never seen on a DGP product to gain control of the rights to all of that crunchy goodness? &lt;yes we're sad there'll be no reprints in the near future&gt;
Yes, I too would like to know how exactly that came about.

Quote:
3) What was the reasoning behind the whole 'Aslan are not _really_ a major race' thing? Much of the canon related to the Ancient coyns and the whole 'six races' thing from Twilights Peak seems to infer that the Aslan are/should be a major race. Was that not noticed or ignored for the sake of a cool story line?
My own thought is probably the whole latter day idea of what would constitute a 'Major' race was a silly an artificial distinction.

Quote:
4) Is there any unreleased DGP material to which the authors may still own the copyright out there - such as &lt;what was completed of&gt; Aliens Vol 3 (Zho and Dro) or Starship Ops Vol 2? &lt;you know we'd really like to see more!&gt;
Yea Verily!
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:02 AM

kaladorn Citizen
My own questions:

1) Did anyone ever decide the truth of what happened in Varian's apartment with Lucan, Windhook, Varian and whatshername? What were the real happenings? We've got several views, but I'm interested if DGP ever had an 'insider account'.

2) Why was DGP so infamous for errata? MT was a great game system, but with the exception of T4, has been the worst for errata. Was that just a time crunch? A case of trying to do too much too fast? A lack of playtesters or proofreaders? Or some other reason?

3) What do you think the best product that DGP produced was and why particularly?

4) Taken as a whole, looking at the investment of time and effort into DGP and Traveller that you made and the results obtained, did you have fun? Do you think it was all worthwhile? Put in the same place, would you do it again? Do you wish you'd never seen it in the first place or wish it had kept going long after circumstances brought DGP to a close?

5) How do you feel about the thought that the MT copyright holder's decisions may result in that entire chapter of Traveller history being sort of papered over or ignored as 'Forbidden Canon', and that much of the work done there will end up being edited out, written over, or ignored?

I too wish to echo LEW's comments. I think MT stands to this day (no offense to Hunter and QLI who I think are doing yeoman work) as the greatest version of Traveller and an amazing contribution to the gaming hobby and to the Traveller universe. I think Joe deserves some big kudos and if it were in my power, I'd buy the guy a big cold beer or six.
Old October 26th, 2003, 03:11 AM

Elliot Citizen
At a rough count - there are 19 questions - so we need 6 more!

I'll add a few:

1) What would have come after the Sparkler war in Deneb/Zhodani relations?

2) Given the Solomani were becoming the big empire - did DGP plan to do anything with the Solomani Confederation. Was the later hints that the Sols were moving towards a pan-sophontist line under Joshua Dahvin a DGP or GDW idea?

3) What of the K'Kree? Lords of Thunder was a DGP purchase - would you like to have expanded on it?