Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old March 11th, 2020, 02:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Bad jumps effect positronic brains just as much as human ones.

Roll for insanity.
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

gregcaires Citizen+gregcaires Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwyrm;
I would surmise that that footnote is misinformation, so that the plotters don't know what really happened to 'their' robots.
The context is Iím reading the pdf version with MMís annotations. They are in his voice from him as the author - they are not Agent Blandís thoughts in the text or in the footnotes. Iíd love to hear Mr Millerís answer to this question.

Honored wearer of the Starburst for Extreme Heroism with Diamond Clusters for conspicuous gallantry and outstanding performance in the field of excellence at the Battle of Garda-Vilis
Old March 12th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcaires View Post
The context is Iím reading the pdf version with MMís annotations. They are in his voice from him as the author - they are not Agent Blandís thoughts in the text or in the footnotes. Iíd love to hear Mr Millerís answer to this question.
So, "robots" can't survive jump but Virus...can?
Old March 12th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I think it is just these specific robots.

The idea that robot brains produced by the Imperium or the Hivers can not survive jump is just a plain silly idea, not to mention contradicted by extant canon.

If, and it is a big if, MWM truly intends to retcon this idea into the OTU that it is all robots it will have massive setting changing effects, the law of unintended consequence doesn't even come into it.

I wonder where Marc got the idea from... no matter, it is a daft one.

I have been scouring the latest version of T5 to see if there is a jump space limitation on robots but if it is there I haven't found it yet.

Last edited by mike wightman; March 12th, 2020 at 02:14 PM..
Old March 12th, 2020, 03:10 PM

CaptRet Citizen+CaptRet Citizen+

I would fully agree that it has long been canon that robots can make jumps, and it would make little sense if they couldn't. What would be the significant difference in the processors between the robot and a ship's computer ?
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:31 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

I don't agree robots cant make jumps.

One reason: VIRUS.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old March 13th, 2020, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
Vacuum tubes with fiber-optic backup? The mind reels.
As does the magnetic tape storage...

It could have been something specific to those particular Von Neumann machines' method of being self-aware. But it might also explain why starships need sophont crews rather than being automated. On the other hand, it doesn't explain Virus-controlled ships.
It's not of need tapes. Cassette and Cartridge are, outside of audio, almost perfect pseudonyms.

Data cassettes and data cartridges have both been terms used by manufacturers for rope memory modules, active ram modules, plug in rom modules (tho' the only rom cassettes labeled such that I've seen were for stage lighting.), battery backed up ram, and, of course, multiple tape formats.
Cassette also is used extensively in older military terminology for large capacity removable ammunition magazines for crew served or vehicle mounted weapons.

I've assumed non-magnetic storage for some time; in fact, once I made the swap to MVT cpus, and encountered a backplane computer system, each cassette is essentially a daughtercard using a backplane archetechture, including all the special hardware the device requires.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpuĪ dtĪ f+ fs++ geĪ ih- infĪ jĪ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 15th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

bookwyrm Citizen

well, in checking out AotI, I ended up reading it, and am still working through it. but in reference to the robot notation made by Mr. Miller, I think it might have been a thought he had concerning something that he writes about later in the story. and that is just my thought about the notation.

I like what I have read so far, especially since I didn't think I was going to like it in the first place. have to admit, some things look more like magic wrapped in science fiction, but as far as the original post, I think robots can survive just fine in jump space, unless there is some technological reason some creator race had making them in the first place.
Old March 16th, 2020, 01:37 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

I suspect that Mark's note may have only been intended to refer to those particular robots -- which would explain why they were building a NAFAL ship rather than one with a Jump Drive, despite their otherwise high tech level.

They may not have been "aware" that they couldn't survive in Jumpspace (though they may have known it at one point and then deleted the information as irrelevant millenia ago since they did have a form of -- sublight -- interstellar propagation).
Old March 16th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It is indeed the Dathsuts chapter and the robots in question traverse the universe sublight - they may be Essaray constructs.

Ther is nothing to suggest that Imperial robot brains can not survive jump.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwyrm View Post
have to admit, some things look more like magic wrapped in science fiction
Cue long pedantic discussion about science fiction, and where various aspects of Traveller sit on the continuum.
Tools Link